Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

7 hours ago, BIG X said:

The KUTA GB looks promising as I have a couple of stalled projects that have never seen the light of day on here OR maybe the Panzer IV GB - but would my 'little tanks' just get in the way of the 'serious players'

Steve,

KUTA is great for finishing those  builds that have been started but then sat around for a while, I have an A320 that may be a candidate for this year. Don't let scale put you off joining in the Panzer IV GB, I don't build many armoured models but I will be joining in on this one with a Revell 1/72 kit and I feel sure that there will be plenty of others on show.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've just seen the new end date for the GB. Good news as I may now be in with a chance of finishing my Me.163 Komet. It's all built up, just need to get the airbrush out, which is always a major stalling point for me :rolleyes:

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

My first, too. It’s been tremendous fun, and brought back lots of memories, so thanks to the chaps who took the time to co-ordinate things along the way.

It appears I have three training aircraft in my 1940 stash, so I am considering taking part in the proposed Trainers GB. It seems I may have the GB bug.

They get you like that, although this one may be unique in that I'm going to finish everything I started. Most times I wander in late, read everyone else's threads and get maybe 10% of the way through my build. Doesn't stop me coming back next time. I love BM GBs me :D 

Andy,

A starter, not a fi

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I've done a fair few GBs over on the ATF but never once managed to finish anything within the given time because they have a rigid 2 month deadline.  Since joining BM, I've started three, finished two and the third is sort of on track to finish in December.  I'm signed up to the F4 and Buccaneer STGBs planned for next year and I've just put my name forward for the KUTA GB to finish one of the kits I put down to start the Carriers GB back in April!  They're sort of addictive.

I really enjoyed this one because it gave me the opportunity to do something completely different to my normal modelling genre.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 4

Hope we see a few more in the coming hours some great builds already done, and a shedload at that, might this beat the BoB75th Gb for quantity. Anyway inspired by this Gb I have brought myself a 1978 issue of the Dinah for the Pacific at war Gb, will the decals be usable? And will the fit be ok? (Unlike my 2018 b-26) 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Hope we see a few more in the coming hours some great builds already done, and a shedload at that, might this beat the BoB75th Gb for quantity. Anyway inspired by this Gb I have brought myself a 1978 issue of the Dinah for the Pacific at war Gb, will the decals be usable? And will the fit be ok? (Unlike my 2018 b-26) 

No idea on the decals, but as long as you take care aligning the fuselage halves and dry fit/adjust the camera windows before gluing the rest of it goes together beautifully and it really belies its age. I was very impressed with mine.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 06/10/2018 at 16:16, Heather Kay said:

My first, too. It’s been tremendous fun, and brought back lots of memories, so thanks to the chaps who took the time to co-ordinate things along the way.

It appears I have three training aircraft in my 1940 stash, so I am considering taking part in the proposed Trainers GB. It seems I may have the GB bug.

Heather, glad to hear you enjoyed the GB (it's not over yet...) and you certainly have made many skillful and interesting contributions. With all the excellent modellers involved, any organising required has been all fun and no effort. I too am addicted and there are at least two other GB's running which will fill in the gap up until Christmas. Think 'rigging'..... All the best. Mike

• Like 1

On 06/10/2018 at 11:18, BIG X said:

With a week to go on this GB I don't have time to start - and more importantly - finish anything new.  This has been my first GB and I've loved every minute of it.  I have been pondering diving into another GB - but I really don't know what to aim for.  The KUTA GB looks promising as I have a couple of stalled projects that have never seen the light of day on here OR maybe the Panzer IV GB - but would my 'little tanks' just get in the way of the 'serious players'.  There seems to be a D-Day GB planned for next year - but I can't wait that long for the kind of fun I've had here 🤔

You've put in a power of work on this GB, Steve, so time for a well earned rest and sit back and enjoy the closing stages. Now that you've mastered tank tracks, maybe the WW1 GB could do with either a 'Male' or 'Female' rumbling in...... (I built one of each for my son's 'trench layout' and they were played with for at least, let me see, a couple of hours!) All the best. Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 01/10/2018 at 19:29, Ray S said:

Wow! What a Group Build this is turning out to be, isn't it!

I reckon we will crack the 100 in the Gallery by the end of the week, that must be some kind of record...

Great work everyone, it has been a pleasure being involved, even if it was only one build I managed.

All the best,

Ray

Ray, and it was a pleasure watching you turn out that excellent one build, the RMS Queen Elizabeth, complete with rigging. That is a build to be proud of. Gallery is now at 99.......and that is what the BoB 75th Anniversary GB of 2015 managed.....and we have 6 1/2 days to go! All the best, Mike.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

If you start planning now for the Frog GB (?) you can do the Magister, Master, Proctor and Oxford!

Hmm. :think:

i already have a Master and Magister, but the other two might be definitely worth seeking. Hasn’t the Proctor been recently kitted by one of our Eastern European friends?

• Like 2

Because of incompetence (I have no glazing material) I'm going to overrun slightly having started late. This has been a great GB to which I came rather late. There are some lovely builds and it seems that everybody has enjoyed themselves. I know I have.

@Heather Kay If you get a Novo moulding they can be quite well moulded or rather 'flashy', apparently. I'm told the decals ALWAYS need replacing though.....Thankfully this time I've found out before I try to use them. If the Frog GB is half as good as this has been it will be worth getting the kit :nodding:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SleeperService said:

If you get a Novo moulding they can be quite well moulded or rather 'flashy', apparently.

Yes, I’ve heard that. I’ve got an Eastern Express repop of the Miles Master MkIII, and that’s flash city! There’s an aeroplane somewhere in there, I’m sure.

I have to admit, I’ve found a Pavla Oxford at KingKit.   :blush:  I’ve gone with that one, I’m afraid. The only other "proper" Frog kit I have is a Ju88 with the wrong transparencies in the box. I doubt that’s going to be built any time soon. 

• Like 2

@Rabbit Leader asked me to add a group photo of my completed builds here in the GB chat pages. You set me quite a task Dave, it was right on the limits of my backdrop paper but I think that I have managed to squeeze everything in. :D

45149263422_50ab1620ed_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

45149266942_fbd25c159c_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Edited by nimrod54
Additional photo including boxes.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

What a lovely display of Airfix nostalgia there John and all wonderfully built. Hard to pick a winner among that lot, however I think there all up there with the best that this forum has seen. 

Thanks for the group shot, it’s a lovely tribute to your fantastic contribution to this GB. We have all enjoyed your participation and helpful comments along the way. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 6

I think this is a bit cheeky and as such have not created a thread for it, or included it in the gallery.

Airfix Telegraph Poles - 1959

DSC02238

Although the part count in the kit, at about eighty pieces, is much higher than other kits of the time you are building a 4 part model 18 times. I needed these for my upcoming diorama so thought I would build them within the timescale of the GB,

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

@Rabbit Leader asked me to add a group photo of my completed builds here in the GB chat pages. You set me quite a task Dave, it was right on the limits of my backdrop paper but I think that I have managed to squeeze everything in. :D

by John L, on Flickr

Absolutely stunning! 

Four quite outstanding builds. The 504 has me in awe of your rigging skills.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Paul821 said:

J think this is a bit cheeky and as such have not created a thread for it, or included it in the gallery.

Airfix Telegraph Poles - 1959

DSC02238

Although the part count in the kit, at about eighty pieces, is much higher than other kits of the time you are building a 4 part model 18 times. I needed these for my upcoming diorama so thought I would build them within the timescale of the GB,

I can remember my dad getting these for my...er… I mean our model railway. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

And now, the end is near. And so we face the final curtain….

This Group Build has been a joy from start to finish. A huge thank you to everyone involved in making it all happen.

I’ve built more models in a shorter space of time than ever before. The number of kits I would still like to do stretches out for quite some way. There’s a Hercules transport, a four stroke engine, any of the 1.32 cars to name only a few. The GB got me fired up to build!

I failed to finish on one build, the SS France liner, and that was only because I wanted more out of the kit than time allowed. It’s given me a ton of enthusiasm to see the build finished.

The help and encouragement shown to all, by all, throughout  the GB has been one of the highlights for me. I'm certainly going to miss this one.

The FROG GB is going to be good though 😁

Here’s a self-indulgent set of pictures of the party I’ve just been to…

IMG-6275.jpgIMG-6276.jpgIMG-6280.jpgIMG-6281.jpg

IMG-6305.jpg

• Like 11

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:32, nimrod54 said:

by John L, on Flickr

A fantastic body of work in such a short time :goodjob: John.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TonyW said:

And now, the end is near. And so we face the final curtain….

This Group Build has been a joy from start to finish. A huge thank you to everyone involved in making it all happen.

I’ve built more models in a shorter space of time than ever before. The number of kits I would still like to do stretches out for quite some way. There’s a Hercules transport, a four stroke engine, any of the 1.32 cars to name only a few. The GB got me fired up to build!

I failed to finish on one build, the SS France liner, and that was only because I wanted more out of the kit than time allowed. It’s given me a ton of enthusiasm to see the build finished.

The help and encouragement shown to all, by all, throughout  the GB has been one of the highlights for me. I'm certainly going to miss this one.

The FROG GB is going to be good though 😁

Here’s a self-indulgent set of pictures of the party I’ve just been to…

IMG-6275.jpgIMG-6276.jpgIMG-6280.jpgIMG-6281.jpg

IMG-6305.jpg

OH WOW - Did I just count 18 models and all to such a great standard - AMAZING WORK Tony :goodjob:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1