Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

16 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I have to admit to an error on the dates of this GB.  The finish date is actually 7 October, not 23 Sept.  So I have erased all evidence of that error on the GB forum.  :) 

Excellent! Two more weeks of procrastination followed by a last minute panic to get my stuff in the gallery...

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, zebra said:

7 October? 5 weekends, a public holiday, at least one day off in that time. Plenty of time to get the Caravelle finished, and maybe something else. 737, Conet or Belvedere... decisions, decisions...

YEY - The Caravelle - woohoo

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

YEY - The Caravelle - woohoo

As long as the decals show up soon! I had an email from Ray at 26 to say they'd been sent early last week, so I expect they'll be here in the next few days. Should be plenty of time to get it finished.

Meanwhile I'm going to get cracking on the Belvedere and maybe the 737 too.

• Like 3

OK - I'm officially fidgety now...  I've spent all weekend catching up on various areas of the forum - but all it has done is make me restless to crack open some glue.  I've cleaned the bench and prepped the spray booth for it's next victim.  I've already picked my subject - though it is 'very basic' - but at my rambling pace it could see me through to the end of the GB.

IMG_3830.jpg

...don't get too excited - I'm only doing the basic tank - I'm saving the flail for another project.

Catch you in the build thread.

Happy modelling - Steve

• Like 3

I have stuff in other GBs I haven't really started but...

Sundowner's post about the F-14 led me to have a little explore, and I can get a suitable kit AND a set of VF-11 markings (has to be the Red Rippers for me, the squadron badge is based on my clan crest). I may (and I stress 'may') attempt a third build given the extension we have and my time off.

Andy

Over extended AGAIN :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Possibly a bit of a brag going on here, shoot me down in flames if necessary.

This lot all ended up on my bench together while I was sorting out a bit of storage for them. Vanity wouldn't let me not take a picture. Here it is...

IMG_5746.jpg

... and there's the Lancaster and DH88 not in shot! It all seems a bit dreamlike at this end and the GB still has a fair bit of time left!!

Tony, slightly bemused by it all.

• Like 9

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 13:09, zebra said:

Whilst I’m thinking about this, does anyone know when the 737-200 was released? Scalemates and the Airfix Tribute Forum don’t differentiate between the -100 or -200 but I think the original 1969 Lufthansa release was a -100 and it became a -200 in 1973 - can anyone confirm please?

It was always a -200 first released in 1969 with Lufthansa markings, does have the early engine version though, not the later engines ad fitted to the -200 Adv, especially the pylons

• Like 1

Well after a bit of an hiatus, I will be getting back into my DC 9, glad of the extra 2 weeks as I would like to get it finished, been having a bit of a health issue, nothing major, what the Cardiologist called Heart Failure, not Heart Attack cheerful bugger that he is, my GP was even more helpful, who cheerily told me I was dying, well always knew that, so I told him I would take another 20 years or so and it was up to him or else.  😁

I got the hard masking done yesterday, and will give it a quick squirt of grey on the wings today, then need to do the Crown, then update the build log soon.

Well after a bit of an hiatus, I will be getting back into my DC 9, glad of the extra 2 weeks as I would like to get it finished, been having a bit of a health issue, nothing major, what the Cardiologist called Heart Failure, not Heart Attack cheerful bugger that he is, my GP was even more helpful, who cheerily told me I was dying, well always knew that, so I told him I would take another 20 years or so and it was up to him or else.  😁

• Like 3

Good to hear you back on here Graeme and will look forward to the progress with the DC-9’s. Those Medical gurus can be a bunch of wise cracks so here’s to both good modelling and even better health.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, TonyW said:

IMG_5746.jpg

I love these multi build end of GB photos and encourage everyone that has built more than one to do likewise. The only reservation I have with the above photo is the rather messy backdrop underneath these lovely models. Ok for WIP shots, but they deserve better once finished. 

Well done Tony - you should be proud of all your achievements (so far). 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 5

Many thanks for the group shot Peter, you have been a fantastic contributer and we all appreciate your excellent Classic Airfix builds. Now, somethings not quite right however, it would appear that prior to you taking this photograph the Aston has sped away and the two Bull Finches may have been attracted to some other location... Where are they? 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Many thanks for the group shot Peter, you have been a fantastic contributer and we all appreciate your excellent Classic Airfix builds. Now, somethings not quite right however, it would appear that prior to you taking this photograph the Aston has sped away and the two Bull Finches may have been attracted to some other location... Where are they? 

Cheers.. Dave

Ooops I will rectify that tomorrow I had done so many I just couldn't keep a count

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The GB seems to be picking up speed as it progresses, I'm loving every minute of it. The subjects being built are just amazing to see. A huge thank you from me to the team keeping things on course.

I'll be called out for the scruffy background, but here's a glimpse of my bench at the moment...

IMG_5882.jpg

... all work in progress, all slowly getting there. It seems like I'm getting nowhere, then all of a sudden projects start coming together. That's the stage I'm at with this lot. The end is in sight.

My SS France build is looking a bit doubtful though. Seeing the huge difference a set of etch railings make to a ship model makes me really want to include them on the France. It's a bit of a task for a first attempt, and the kit itself is one of the more expensive Airfix models these days. The thought of getting things wrong is a bit daunting. I'll need a rehearsal on something simpler first. That does raise the possibility of starting one of the Airfix smaller ships, although I don't know if I have any likely candidates available. I'll take care of the above projects first, then see if there's any time left.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 7

Now I'm sure that some of you know about this already but for everyone else, your efforts in this Airfix GB have been so astounding and outstanding that Enzo Matrix made the following announcement a week ago:

I've noticed that over the past few years the most popular GBs have been dedicated to classic or nostalgia builds.  A few years ago we had the Obsolete Kits GB, which involved people building a model from an older kit        which has been superseded by newer (but not necessarily better) moulds.  We have had a couple of very succesful Matchbox GBs.  Currently the Airfix Golden Years GB has more than 135 build threads with 60 odd completions to date.  I honestly doubt that the forum software can handle the likely number of entries in a poll.

Everyone likes the latest high tech kit release.  Some of them fly off the shelves.  But equally, there seems to be a lot of love for the older kits.  Most of these don't stand up in comparison to the latest Tamigawaedufix release, but we still want to build them.  Maybe it's because we built them as a kid (with varying degrees of success...).  Maybe it's because there simply isn't a suitable modern kit, even if we are living in a Golden Age.

Whatever... the simple fact is that we all seem to like building classic kits.

So...   I've decided that every year, there will be a dedicated classic kit GB.  We can discuss whether that GB will be dedicated to a specific manufacturer, or whether it will simply be a basic classic nostalgia build. 

So give yourselves a massive pat on the back - it looks like 'classic kit' group builds are here to stay! Let's all have a last push to get our kits finished and in the Gallery to really make this Airfix Golden Years GB the 'gold standard'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just had an idea (here goes that nutter from Brisvegas again)!! 

Instead of having a poll for the winner of this GB, why don’t we start a poll for what Vintage Classic Airfix kit we would like Hornby to consider releasing next? 

It could be the hard to find Short Skyvan, what about an SR-N1, Ford Capri or Lotus Cortina (if the moulds still exist). Anyway, the list is probably just as large as voting a winner for this GB. 

We can only hope that the lads at Airfix are watching on and are enjoying this GB as much as we are? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Just had an idea (here goes that nutter from Brisvegas again)!! 

Instead of having a poll for the winner of this GB, why don’t we start a poll for what Vintage Classic Airfix kit we would like Hornby to consider releasing next? 

It could be the hard to find Short Skyvan, what about an SR-N1, Ford Capri or Lotus Cortina (if the moulds still exist). Anyway, the list is probably just as large as voting a winner for this GB. 

We can only hope that the lads at Airfix are watching on and are enjoying this GB as much as we are? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Now that's a brilliant idea! It will cover all the bases with regards to the participants enthusing about others' builds as well as their own. Some 'classic' kits have been re-tooled post 1980 by Airfix but not always as the same Mk. or decal option. Some moulds have been sold or given away but that's no reason for not considering doing a similar new one. We could put together a 'Petition' to be sent to Airfix with all the supporting links etc. plus 'signatures' from all the esteemed modellers. Lawzer didn't get any response from Airfix on a previous occasion but this time he can go in 'mob-handed'!

• Like 4

Mob-Handed Mike? You’re making us sound like a bunch of pitch fork wielding vigilantes which might confuse the mater altogether and we’ll end up with North American’s RA-5C instead. Glad you think this idea might have some traction, however have no idea how to start this poll. We probably need a list of say 20 kits first, so I’ll make a start. 

1. Short Skyvan 

2. ????

Cheers. Dave 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Mob-Handed Mike? You’re making us sound like a bunch of pitch fork wielding vigilantes which might confuse the mater altogether and we’ll end up with North American’s RA-5C instead. Glad you think this idea might have some traction, however have no idea how to start this poll. We probably need a list of say 20 kits first, so I’ll make a start. 

1. Short Skyvan 

2. ????

Cheers. Dave 

I was about to say a re-issue of the pe-2 - but they've already done it!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

1. Short Skyvan 

2. ????

Cheers. Dave 

2. Lockheed F-80C Shooting Star.

I knew I wanted another before rafalbert finished his, now I NEED another one.

Andy

• Like 3
  • Haha 1