Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

Is this fine collection of individual GB builds not some type of World Record?? That’s my output for a good 3-4 years and even then I probably wouldn’t manage them to look this good. What a huge effort you have put in Tony, all this really is outstanding. We have all very much enjoyed your builds and historical Airfix notes and comments along the way. 

A wonderful snapshot of Airfix in all its classic glory. Thank- you so much for taking part. 

Cheers and exceptional modelling.. Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Airfix's Pzkfw Mk IV is actually quite accurate. The molded in detail is nicely done. It's let down by the suspension being set too far out and of course those tragic track. Here's one with the suspension moved back in under the fenders and the tracks replace. 

43465082020_f093b19fc1_c.jpg

31405210518_1fc1c28c19_c.jpg

30340989017_e33a565009_c.jpg

31405209348_af80d2f30b_c.jpg

Edited by gamevender
  • Like 16

Well we're nearly at the end. I'll get my last build into the gallery tomorrow. I'm a little sad that this group build is finishing, it's been a lot of fun. We could always keep going until we've built every Airfix kit! We've seen some fantastic builds and it's been great to see what can be done with these ancient kits. I've really enjoyed getting to grips with older kits after spending so much of my recent modelling time on modern kits (although there have been a couple of Amodel kits that were quite good preparation for the Airfix Belvedere!). Huge thanks to the hosts @Lawzer and @Ventora3300 and to @Rabbit Leader for keeping track of the build thread and the SAM plans for the Belvedere!

Really looking forward to the Frog GB now

Z

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This has been my initiation in the world of Britmodeller GB's. It has been a great experience and it's good to participate In a Forum where the only negative comments are either by the OP or about the kit! People seemed to have found kind words or encouragement even about my work, which in quantity and quality well surpass my efforts. I came late to the party and even the extension was not going to allow me to build either my Bristol Freighter or HP 0/400 both of which have sat in my stash for far too long.

I have signed up for a couple of Future GB's and like many here am really looking forward to the Frog GB. The only problem is that I have no remaining Frog kits in the stash so need to start looking around.

As I mentioned in my build thread this is not the end for the four kits I built (only two of which I submitted as entries. Here is a glimpse of the future.

diorama 1

All four (LCM, Quad, Universal Carrier, Telegraph poles) are to appear in a diorama which will form part of a model military railway. So I bid farewell to the Airfix GB and say hello to the Diorama WIP

• Like 10

I've just popped the last of my three builds into the Gallery. A bit of a mad dash to the finish, but that's part of the fun with a good GB for me, gets me motivated to actually finish something.

Just wanted to say a 'thank you' to everyone that commented on, or left a like on my builds. It's great to be able to share this hobby with such a generous and charming bunch. Also a 'sorry' for not being able to follow and comment on as many of the builds as a would have liked to, there were just so many, and all great to see. 

Finally, a big Thank You to the organisers, @Lawzer @Ventora3300 and @Rabbit Leader for keeping us all in line.

Cheers, Guys. See you in Airfix II or maybe the FROG GB, fingers crossed :winkgrin:

• Like 4

Hi All 

A big thankyou to our organizing trio for what has been a wonderful trip down memory lane . Great to see so many beautiful models . Looking forward too seeing how many Frog kits emerge next year 

Martin H

• Like 2

Well that's me done,

It feels like the end of a good meal/film/night out - fulfilling but a little sad. Still it's all got to end some time. 

I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did. Looking back through the gallery is a good reflection of what great models resulted from the GB. 

Well done everyone.

Cheers Greg

• Like 5

As we're running down now, I just wanted to reiterate how great its been to be apart of this GB. The range, volume of builds and completion rate is amazing. Participation in GBs has quite genuinely recharged my enthusiasm for the hobby and over the past 12 months I have completed around 13 models, a very modest amount compared to some in evidence on BM but, more than my combined output for the past 5 years! The 'Airfix the golden years' GB is arguably the most successful GB to have been run and most certainly of any that I have taken part in; a combination of a much loved modelling subject and some excellent organisation, chivvying, cajoling and encouragement from host and co-hosts plus the enthusiasm of the rank and file of the GB, well done to all.

Cheers, Mark.

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

As we're running down now, I just wanted to reiterate how great its been to be apart of this GB. The range, volume of builds and completion rate is amazing. Participation in GBs has quite genuinely recharged my enthusiasm for the hobby and over the past 12 months I have completed around 13 models, a very modest amount compared to some in evidence on BM but, more than my combined output for the past 5 years! The 'Airfix the golden years' GB is arguably the most successful GB to have been run and most certainly of any that I have taken part in; a combination of a much loved modelling subject and some excellent organisation, chivvying, cajoling and encouragement from host and co-hosts plus the enthusiasm of the rank and file of the GB, well done to all.

Cheers, Mark.

It almost feels like New Years Eve & seeing 'the old year out'.

So - who is staying up until midnight - to pull a party popper share a team hug :grouphug:

• Haha 5

I’m putting on a buffet tonight and the drinks cabinet is well and truly open – so come on over and let’s have a party to celebrate – what are you drinking…

As this GB heads to a close and the end is not too far away I would like to raise a glass to all those that have taken part.  New friends have been made and many a giggle has been had along the way.  Some masterpieces have been ‘created’ and others ‘wrestled into submission’ – but all for a good cause.  So - thank you Airfix for enriching our childhoods and indeed - in my case – our dotage.

As our principle hosts are both good Scottish residents – I think it only appropriate that when we do draw the GB to a close at midnight – we do it in the traditional manner – by seeing her out with a quick rendition of Auld Lang Syne…

(Please pardon the ‘English’ version guys – it’s just so everyone can sing along)

Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
and old lang syne?

CHORUS:

For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

And surely you'll buy your pint cup!
and surely I'll buy mine!
And we'll take a cup o' kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

CHORUS

We two have run about the slopes,
and picked the daisies fine;
But we've wandered many a weary foot,
since auld lang syne.

CHORUS

We two have paddled in the stream,
from morning sun till dine†;
But seas between us broad have roared
since auld lang syne.

CHORUS

And there's a hand my trusty friend!
And give me a hand o' thine!
And we'll take a right good-will draught,
for auld lang syne.

CHORUS

auld.jpg

…and for Rabbit Leader I’m humming ‘Waltzing Matilda’ as I write this – thanks Dave.

All the best until the next time - see you at midnight - BIG X.                      

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

I’m putting on a buffet tonight and the drinks cabinet is well and truly open – so come on over and let’s have a party to celebrate – what are you drinking…

As this GB heads to a close and the end is not too far away I would like to raise a glass to all those that have taken part.  New friends have been made and many a giggle has been had along the way.  Some masterpieces have been ‘created’ and others ‘wrestled into submission’ – but all for a good cause.  So - thank you Airfix for enriching our childhoods and indeed - in my case – our dotage.

As our principle hosts are both good Scottish residents – I think it only appropriate that when we do draw the GB to a close at midnight – we do it in the traditional manner – by seeing her out with a quick rendition of Auld Lang Syne…

(Please pardon the ‘English’ version guys – it’s just so everyone can sing along)

and never brought to mind?
and old lang syne?

CHORUS:

For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

And surely you'll buy your pint cup!
and surely I'll buy mine!
And we'll take a cup o' kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

CHORUS

We two have run about the slopes,
and picked the daisies fine;
But we've wandered many a weary foot,
since auld lang syne.

CHORUS

We two have paddled in the stream,
from morning sun till dine†;
But seas between us broad have roared
since auld lang syne.

CHORUS

And there's a hand my trusty friend!
And give me a hand o' thine!
And we'll take a right good-will draught,
for auld lang syne.

CHORUS

auld.jpg

…and for Rabbit Leader I’m humming ‘Waltzing Matilda’ as I write this – thanks Dave.

All the best until the next time - see you at midnight - BIG X.                      

Hi Big X

To do the proper Scots version, up the level of alcohol consumption significantly, tell the person next to you, "you've always been my best pal"

Sing the same words as loud as possible, whilst holding a girl "or boy" on either side of you in a big circle, move backwards and forwards and try not to fall over

Job done :cheers:

cheers Pat

Sorry slàinte !

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

I'm afraid the little FW 189 won't be finished even in the extended time :sorry:. I just couldn't push myself enough to do it. V-P

There's always the forthcoming KUTA GB. :)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Sing the same words as loud as possible, whilst holding a girl "or boy" on either side of you in a big circle, move backwards and forwards and try not to fall over

...is that not the Hokey Cokey Pat :lol:

:partytime: 

• Haha 3

Well, the curtains about to come down on this fantastic group build......

I was having a look at the chat thread and all this started back at the start of september last year by old thumper.  Who knows, he's maybe had a peek at what he started 😁

I'd like you all to join me in saying a massive thank you to  @Ventora3300 and @Rabbit Leader Without who' fantastic work this wouldn't have been possible.

From my point of view this was both my first time being part of a gb and indeed co-hosting one.  As the start date got closer i will admit i was more than a bit apprehensive - into the unknown as they say....

I shouldn't have worried - this for me has been a really wonderful experience.  SOOO many fantastic builds and new friends made along the way.  I'm glad I didn't have to choose a favourite though!!

I would also like to thank all of you so much for making it what it was - a rollercoaster of laughs, mega builds from things designed in some cases in the 50's and of course our fair share of *ahem* age related flash/fit problems/decal disasters....a big 👍to you all!!

Happy modelling!

All the best.

Ian

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Well, the curtains about to come down on this fantastic group build......

I was having a look at the chat thread and all this started back at the start of september last year by old thumper.  Who knows, he's maybe had a peek at what he started 😁

I'd like you all to join me in saying a massive thank you to  @Ventora3300 and @Rabbit Leader Without who' fantastic work this wouldn't have been possible.

From my point of view this was both my first time being part of a gb and indeed co-hosting one.  As the start date got closer i will admit i was more than a bit apprehensive - into the unknown as they say....

I shouldn't have worried - this for me has been a really wonderful experience.  SOOO many fantastic builds and new friends made along the way.  I'm glad I didn't have to choose a favourite though!!

I would also like to thank all of you so much for making it what it was - a rollercoaster of laughs, mega builds from things designed in some cases in the 50's and of course our fair share of *ahem* age related flash/fit problems/decal disasters....a big 👍to you all!!

Happy modelling!

All the best.

Ian

Well said buddy :goodjob:

• Like 5

You really are a nutter, aren't you Pat? 

And to think we'll both be co-hosting next years Frog GB - OMG what am I in for?? 

Nice to see you doing some last day, late minute GB cajoling - that's defo host material stuff that is. 

Cheers and catch you on here somewhere soon... Dave (the sane one!) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3