Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

3 hours ago, peterairfix said:

I am getting withdrawal symptoms so I have dug into my overlord set and found four that might fit the bill but on checking only two qualify and I have chosen to do the DUKW.

Another from the AFV range is always going to get my vote!

Get stuck in lad...

• Like 3

Whilst searching my stash I came across two boxes of vickers vanguard bits certainly enough to make a least one plane both have their bodies together one is definitely over the 25% rule but one would sneak just under as it needs the body repainting would the mods let me in for the very last time44829901732_037bacdb0e_c.jpg44829907292_a58f6ff913_c.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, peterairfix said:

Whilst searching my stash I came across two boxes of vickers vanguard bits certainly enough to make a least one plane both have their bodies together one is definitely over the 25% rule but one would sneak just under as it needs the body repainting would the mods let me in for the very last time44829901732_037bacdb0e_c.jpg44829907292_a58f6ff913_c.jpg

Dear Moderators 

Please can this one be included, it would make a wonderful addition to the ever growing collection of builds in this most remarkable Classic Group Build.

Cheers Pat

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Dear Moderators 

Please can this one be included, it would make a wonderful addition to the ever growing collection of builds in this most remarkable Classic Group Build.

Cheers Pat

Yes, Im sure this one will come in under the 25% - look at the number of bits in the box! Pete will just have to use the fuselage without the doors in if the calculation comes near the mark. Paint doesn't count and no doubt it will get a spruce up anyway. Lawzer will weigh in with his opinion too but it looks like it will be build on!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ladies and Gents

This has been a most entertaining GB - and certainly brought back memories. For my Golden Years were certainly about 1959 - 1966. Those were the days when every spare moment seemed to be taken up with building Airfix kits - as with many start to finish in one session - perhaps with a bit of painting if required.  In 1966 I changed secondary schools, in what is now year 9, and lost contact with my modelling chums who I had known for 4-5 years, Still kept building but at a reduced rate - also I was expected to buy my own kits from the proceeds of a paper-round!.

As the GB has been extended, I though I might join in at this late stage, obviously I needed something I could finish in time. My first thoughts were these:

DSC02086

As Hornby / Airfix seemed to have joined in this celebration with the release of suitable kits.  However both these have already appeared, Then I remembered that some years ago I had purchased a D-Day set cheap and this

DSC02087

was sitting in a box somewhere - no instructions, and I found the decals after the photo was taken.

So my submission will be:

1965 LCM III 1.76

It will be nothing special - just a OOB, but it should be fun.

• Like 7

You are very welcome here, Paul821. That's the spirit! However, these OOB builds seem to take on a life of their own once they get going - it's our creative side coming out. Looking forward to seeing your build 'hit the beach'. You'll be able to get Instructions from the Airfix Tribute Forum if you're lucky. All the best, Mike

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Ladies and Gents

This has been a most entertaining GB - and certainly brought back memories. For my Golden Years were certainly about 1959 - 1966. Those were the days when every spare moment seemed to be taken up with building Airfix kits - as with many start to finish in one session - perhaps with a bit of painting if required.  In 1966 I changed secondary schools, in what is now year 9, and lost contact with my modelling chums who I had known for 4-5 years, Still kept building but at a reduced rate - also I was expected to buy my own kits from the proceeds of a paper-round!.

As the GB has been extended, I though I might join in at this late stage, obviously I needed something I could finish in time. My first thoughts were these:

DSC02086

As Hornby / Airfix seemed to have joined in this celebration with the release of suitable kits.  However both these have already appeared, Then I remembered that some years ago I had purchased a D-Day set cheap and this

DSC02087

was sitting in a box somewhere - no instructions, and I found the decals after the photo was taken.

So my submission will be:

1965 LCM III 1.76

It will be nothing special - just a OOB, but it should be fun.

Inspired choice Paul

My youngest son Dylan built one a little while ago and we both really enjoyed it, look forward to following your build.

IMG_2088

cheers Pat

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

On 24/09/2018 at 17:24, Ventora3300 said:

Yes, Im sure this one will come in under the 25% - look at the number of bits in the box! Pete will just have to use the fuselage without the doors in if the calculation comes near the mark. Paint doesn't count and no doubt it will get a spruce up anyway. Lawzer will weigh in with his opinion too but it looks like it will be build on!

Sorry a bit late to this but a resounding yes from me!! 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As much as my b26 was a battle, I’ve kinda enjoyed playing with old kits, now not so dismissive of the older stuff, so I’d like to ask, knowing my local has one or two in stock, what’s are the airfix f-5a, f-5e and mirage iii like? 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

F5A is a horrible kit. I know because I built it a year or two ago just for the hell of it:

Airfix_F5_Rear_zpspaedw8a3.jpg

The F5E is a completely different and better (and much newer) kit.

The re-release of the Mirage is pretty horrible - the original Mirage in metallic grey hard plastic was much better to build.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

F5A is a horrible kit. I know because I built it a year or two ago just for the hell of it:

The re-release of the Mirage is pretty horrible - the original Mirage in metallic grey hard plastic was much better to build.

Regards,

Adrian

Interesting to hear your thoughts on the F-5's.

I've got one in the stash to build in Austrian air force colours, and hopefully I'll be able to report back on how it matches your report!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Regards,

Adrian

So run away from both the f-5a and mirage then, and I’m less certain there actually is a E in stock so I might not be able to do that one :( better console myself by getting a Canberra b2/b6 or meteor iii on eBay 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

It's official!

we have a 7 day extension on the gb!

( @Ventora3300 well done - maybe you slipped @Enzo Matrix a tenner? 😆

so, breathe a sigh of another weeks worth of modelling nostalgia and enjoy! 😁

(Now i wonder if that's enough time to do another mosquito.......)

• Like 3

Wow! What a Group Build this is turning out to be, isn't it!

I reckon we will crack the 100 in the Gallery by the end of the week, that must be some kind of record...

Great work everyone, it has been a pleasure being involved, even if it was only one build I managed.

All the best,

Ray

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ray S said:

I reckon we will crack the 100 in the Gallery by the end of the week, that must be some kind of record...

It is!   This is the most popular GB that Britmodeller has ever had.   The number of entries in the Gallery have surpassed the capability of the forum software to deal with a poll.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Here are a couple I just finished which were not eligible for the GB, the Control Tower was started 5 years ago for a 75th Anniversary Dambusters display and the Recovery Set some time after that, the previous owner had started to paint the parts, I just put it together and repainted it.

The Spitfire was finished a few years ago, all models (except the ring-in Hasegawa jeep) are Airfix.

31173014848_01005694dc_b.jpg

43234684900_94000d608f_b.jpg

31173016068_3cb58b1b3c_b.jpg

• Like 10

I've also got this Golden Years A-26 Invader on the go for a Civilian Aircraft Tribute GB over on the IPMS Ireland forum - build thread is here

43203095560_956ca794fa_b.jpgAirfix Douglas A-26 Invader_build_12 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The GB is in memory of our late colleague and builder of wonderful civil aircraft, Don Whitaker. One of life's true gents.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

It is!   This is the most popular GB that Britmodeller has ever had.   The number of entries in the Gallery have surpassed the capability of the forum software to deal with a poll.

What a great problem to have !

Do we need to organise a whip round to raise money for new software ?

Given this is an Airfix GB will they take Flying Hours instead of cash ? ;)

Cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

...AN EXTENSION...

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 19:21, Lawzer said:

It's official!

we have a 7 day extension on the gb!

( @Ventora3300 well done - maybe you slipped @Enzo Matrix a tenner? 😆

so, breathe a sigh of another weeks worth of modelling nostalgia and enjoy! 😁

(Now i wonder if that's enough time to do another mosquito.......)

...YES - another Mosquito :doh:

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 21:12, Enzo Matrix said:

...phhew - that's a relief - with so many great entries I would have had trouble picking a favourite :)

• Like 3

O  dear - in my last post I said I would not build the 25 pdr that has sat at the back of my LCM build as part of the GB. I had so much fun with the LCM (and Universal Carrier) that I feel the urge to start the 25 pdr as the extra time should allow me to complete it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

O  dear - in my last post I said I would not build the 25 pdr that has sat at the back of my LCM build as part of the GB. I had so much fun with the LCM (and Universal Carrier) that I feel the urge to start the 25 pdr as the extra time should allow me to complete it.

Go on go on go on............ ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

With a week to go on this GB I don't have time to start - and more importantly - finish anything new.  This has been my first GB and I've loved every minute of it.  I have been pondering diving into another GB - but I really don't know what to aim for.  The KUTA GB looks promising as I have a couple of stalled projects that have never seen the light of day on here OR maybe the Panzer IV GB - but would my 'little tanks' just get in the way of the 'serious players'.  There seems to be a D-Day GB planned for next year - but I can't wait that long for the kind of fun I've had here 🤔

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

OR maybe the Panzer IV GB - but would my 'little tanks' just get in the way of the 'serious players'...

I got my taste for 15mm armour entering a few into the Great Patriotic War GB here on BM, and I've seen some serious 1/72 builds in the Armour WIP forum so I really wouldn't let scale or complexity stop you having fun. I have some 1/100 Zvezda kits in the stash suitable for both the Panzer IV and Panther GBs so unless you're thinking very small scale war games stuff you wouldn't even be the littlest.

Andy

Small minded - the good way ;) 

Edited by Foxbat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

This has been my first GB and I've loved every minute of it.  I have been pondering diving into another GB - but I really don't know what to aim for. 

My first, too. It’s been tremendous fun, and brought back lots of memories, so thanks to the chaps who took the time to co-ordinate things along the way.

It appears I have three training aircraft in my 1940 stash, so I am considering taking part in the proposed Trainers GB. It seems I may have the GB bug.

• Like 6