Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

* Hi There!

I'm hoping to get involved in the group build,in the middle of a long term build at the moment,and have a surprise coming for a "Significant" Birthday in a couple of weeks which I will have to crack on with........but,I think I will be able to squeeze another one in!

What will it be?

Pop Quiz!

One box, One Aircraft and.......Three Dogs?

Answers on a postcard.......

Keep Sticking!        Cheers, Pete *

Hi MarkSH!

*Tripehound?*

Like Your thinking, but no! :fraidnot:

Any More?                  Cheers,  Pete

• Confused 1

On 17/06/2018 at 07:28, morty_3333 said:

* Hi There!

I'm hoping to get involved in the group build,in the middle of a long term build at the moment,and have a surprise coming for a "Significant" Birthday in a couple of weeks which I will have to crack on with........but,I think I will be able to squeeze another one in!

What will it be?

Pop Quiz!

One box, One Aircraft and.......Three Dogs?

Answers on a postcard.......

Keep Sticking!        Cheers, Pete *

Hi MarkSH!

*Tripehound?*

Like Your thinking, but no! :fraidnot:

Any More?                  Cheers,  Pete

Welcome aboard!

(I have not clue about which kit though! ;) )

• Like 2

On 17/06/2018 at 03:24, John D.C. Masters said:

That would be very generous Andy.  How do we go about doing it?  

Perhaps if I tell this fellow too use your address (which you would have to give me) he would then allow me to pay him for the kit and send it to you.  Then you tell me how much shipping is from you -> me, and I put that in your Paypal account?  Would that be alright?

Thank you again so much,

John

On 17/06/2018 at 03:36, Foxbat said:

That works for me. I'll PM you my address and we'll see what he says. 

Andy

You just gotta love this site!!!! 👍

• Like 1

This means I will have two O-2A.  One will definitely be the American version.  The other?  Not sure.  If I can find those Rhodesian markings (Lynx)...I can scavenge up some Chilean markings, maybe...

Thanks to Clavework Graphics for this...

28009953277_cd67e05e9a_z_d.jpg

And Lift Up Models for this...

28009949667_7744554755_z_d.jpg

I'm leaning towards Chile...Looks pretty snazzy.

Edited by John D.C. Masters
add ons
  • Like 4

Hi All!

OK, solution to the cryptic puzzle is:-

3 Dogs:-

Rover (OK,Land:lol:)

German Shepherd

Bloodhound

Got It?

192742-32432-21-pristine

Yes, the vernerable old chestnut, 1st issue boxing.

Bought one when it first came out in 1969-70 when on a school week-long trip to Kent,spent all My pennies on it and had to send Home for some more! (Nothing changes then!:D)

I've got some aftermarket decals to replace the nearly 50 year-old ones, and I managed to get some Paragon Bulged Wheels before they vanished.

I'll do it in the kit colour scheme, as I had the privilige of flying in XV200 when it was in this scheme whilst on Summer Camp with the ATC (Air Training Corps.) in Scotland in the early 70's.

Might do a re-scribe on it depending on time available, or have a go at replacing the inevitably lost raised panel lines with stretched sprue to keep  it as close to original as possible.

As I mentioned on My first post, I won't be starting this yet,possibly beginning of August when I've got some time off work.

Keep Sticking!            Cheers,   Pete

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, masterqq said:

Hi There,

I would like to join with an 1/72 Airfix Javelin , please let me know this is OK .. thanks.

The GB hosts will be on shortly to confirm this, however I think you’ll find that the Airfix Javelin is actually a former Heller mould and (if it’s the FAW.9) modified a number of years after 1980. I would think this one is a non-starter. 

There’s plenty of other jets in the Airfix back catalogue that might be of interest. Hopefully you’ll find something that takes your  fancy.

Apologies for the bad news.. Dave

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

The GB hosts will be on shortly to confirm this, however I think you’ll find that the Airfix Javelin is actually a former Heller mould and (if it’s the FAW.9) modified a number of years after 1980. I would think this one is a non-starter. 

There’s plenty of other jets in the Airfix back catalogue that might be of interest. Hopefully you’ll find something that takes your  fancy.

Apologies for the bad news.. Dave

Hi @masterqq , sadly as Dave says the kit (both boxings) is a re-boxing of a 1981 heller kit so unfortunately is not eligible :(

Ian

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, morty_3333 said:

Hi All!

OK, solution to the cryptic puzzle is:-

3 Dogs:-

Rover (OK,Land:lol:)

German Shepherd

Bloodhound

Got It?

Yes, the vernerable old chestnut, 1st issue boxing.

Bought one when it first came out in 1969-70 when on a school week-long trip to Kent,spent all My pennies on it and had to send Home for some more! (Nothing changes then!:D)

I've got some aftermarket decals to replace the nearly 50 year-old ones, and I managed to get some Paragon Bulged Wheels before they vanished.

I'll do it in the kit colour scheme, as I had the privilige of flying in XV200 when it was in this scheme whilst on Summer Camp with the ATC (Air Training Corps.) in Scotland in the early 70's.

Might do a re-scribe on it depending on time available, or have a go at replacing the inevitably lost raised panel lines with stretched sprue to keep  it as close to original as possible.

As I mentioned on My first post, I won't be starting this yet,possibly beginning of August when I've got some time off work.

Keep Sticking!            Cheers,   Pete

So obvious when you know the answer 😁

I *think* i may have built one of these as a nipper (not the original boxing) and then built a tank for it to "transport".  Of course said tank did not fit through the cargo door and I remember to this day asking my mum why not to which she thought for a minute and replied "it's too heavy"...which indeed would have been the case ( I strongly suspect that she didn't actually know that was why 🤣)- so for years I viewed my mother as an aviation expert.....

• Haha 2

Does the Lancaster B111 fit the criteria? 

It was first released in 1980 as a replacement for the old G for George version from 1958

. I suppose 1980 makes it a classic although I think of it as the new kid on the block!

Tony.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Does the Lancaster B111 fit the criteria? 

It was first released in 1980 as a replacement for the old G for George version from 1958

. I suppose 1980 makes it a classic although I think of it as the new kid on the block!

Tony.

Yup.

Released in 1980 (in the 1980 catalogue).  Seems to be the same kit up to '93 when it got "new parts" to make a dam buster aircraft.

• Like 2

Lookee what I just found in the stacks...

42205899664_8115abe42f_z_d.jpg

Scalemates lists the DH4 as the same kit from 1967 in a new box with 'new decals' and the 1960-something MPC Roland is actually the Airfix kit released in 1965.

So...what do you all think?  Are either (or both) of these eligible?  I could skip the DH4 but the Walfisch would be nice addition to the cabinet.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Lookee what I just found in the stacks...

42205899664_8115abe42f_z_d.jpg

Scalemates lists the DH4 as the same kit from 1967 in a new box with 'new decals' and the 1960-something MPC Roland is actually the Airfix kit released in 1965.

So...what do you all think?  Are either (or both) of these eligible?  I could skip the DH4 but the Walfisch would be nice addition to the cabinet.

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

Yup both good to go 👍

...and the MPC Roland has the same artwork as the Airfix header - I remember building this and it was very unique - lovely blue plastic and large crosses. It would be great to see both it and the DH4 - almost a 'Dogfight Double'

• Like 2

Okay so nearly finished the Seahawk for the Carriers Ahoy GB and whilst waiting for the fuselage stripes to dry which I've had to respray as the decals were utter rubbish (long story, detailed in the GB thread), I thought I'd have a rummage through the stash to see what came up.  Quickly found the Dennis Fire Engine that I was thinking of doing.  It's the twin box with the 1910 Omnibus from the mid 2000s, but they both date from the early 60s (and I clearly remember making both of them in the early 70s at least once if not twice) so I'm comfortable they're both eligible.  I was tending towards the fire engine but then I thought that somewhere up there is the James Bond autogyro that I picked up at a school fete some years ago for about £2.50 and to the best of my knowledge, I've never made it.  That might be quite different but can I find it?  Not a chance.  It's got to be there somewhere but where is beyond me.

I did find the MANXMAN/SUFFOLK dual boxing that I didn't know I even had so that was a nice surprise, especially as I've just finished reading an excellent book on the ABDIEL class minelayers and was about to bid on one on Ebay.  I also found an original boxing of QUEEN ELIZABETH that I started in about 1980 and FORRESTAL that I started in about 1979, all of which are eligible but none of which could be completed in the time allowed for this GB.  So unless I can find the autogyro by the weekend, 1914 Dennis Fire Engine it's going to be.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Absolutley good to go! 👍

(Hoping for the autogyro too.....)

Me too - had it and foolishly sold it. Been kicking myself ever since. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

It's got to be in the house somewhere.  It's probably lurking with the other one I couldn't find, an early boxing of HMS TIGER complete with a WEM PE and a lot of resin bits (Seacat launchers, Sea Kings HAS2s etc) ready to be converted to the helicopter carrier variant. 

• Like 3

Good morning folks - Having had a couple of days away from the bench I have been 'pondering' what to do next - my windmill or my ambulances.  To be honest I don't fancy either at the moment - so I have been having a rummage through the stash.  I have a Hampden - which still scares me to death every time I look at it and a JU-88 that looks horrific.  I am waiting to see how others get on with theirs and hopefully it will inspire me to have a bash - at some point.  I really fancy doing a 'wingy thingy' though - so I pulled this out...

bronze_001.jpg

Though it is a fairly recent boxing there is no mistaking it's 1970 provenance.  So with permission I would like to subject you all to a horror you won't forget in a hurry.

What say you folks...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Graeme H said:

oops I already opened a topic in the GB, but these Airfix DC9's are from 1973 according to Scalemates hope that's OK

I haven't read the rules yet, but assume basic modification to make them more realistic is OK?

Yes Graeme H, this first tooling was pre-1980 when the DC9 was checked out previously. Rules thereafter concerning what happens next are pretty relaxed. Looking forward to your build.

• Like 3