Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

7 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Is there room for a small one at the back? My success rate for GBs this year has been woeful, but I have something in mind for this one I've always wanted to build so maybe this is the time I finish something. Scalemates tells me it was a new tool in 1974. The kit is Series 1 and hasn't got wings - I just missed an original bubble pack issue, so I'll be using a later boxed version.

Come on postie, it's been 10 minutes since I ordered it. Where are you? :D 

Andy

Deliberately vague until the postie comes.

So it's either the Tribal Class Destroyer, Japanese Chi-Ha tank or a 54mm figure. 

Am I close??

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

So it's either the Tribal Class Destroyer, Japanese Chi-Ha tank or a 54mm figure. 

Am I close??

Cheers.. Dave 

Spot on. It's the Chi-Ha. I only ever finish things with tracks, or Japanese subjects so this should be a winner.

Andy

• Like 4

There’s plenty of room Andy, so please jump on board. It will be great to have another armour vehicle here and hopefully we can get a good cross section of all Airfix subjects before this GB is out. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 4

Still can't finalise what to do so I thought I'd pop over to the Airfix tribute forum for some inspiration and  now have my heart set on a couple of

great oldie's Me109 and Stuka in 1/48 with luck I can pick up a kit of both tomorrow I could even go for the Spitfire Vb as a back up I have some

decal's for one.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Still can't finalise what to do so I thought I'd pop over to the Airfix tribute forum for some inspiration and  now have my heart set on a couple of

great oldie's Me109 and Stuka in 1/48 with luck I can pick up a kit of both tomorrow I could even go for the Spitfire Vb as a back up I have some

decal's for one.

Every BM GB is better off with your excellent contributions Steve.

We will look on with interest and if the Matchbox GB was anything to go by - disbelief at the speed and beauty of your kits. 

Good to see you here Steve. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Every BM GB is better off with your excellent contributions Steve.

We will look on with interest and if the Matchbox GB was anything to go by - disbelief at the speed and beauty of your kits. 

Good to see you here Steve. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Kind word's Dave many thank's,I remember the 109 when new and to be honest I've never built one since I'd like to do the green heart scheme,

the Vb is a pretty accurate kit for it's time and we've got one already in the GB,and the Stuka I did a couple of year's ago in the desert scheme

so a green European scheme is on the card's

SDC13762%20640x480_zpsvz26rwyh.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 6

Kit's I'd love to see turn up in the GB but don't think will,Saunders Roe SR-53,Henry VIII,Heinkell He111,Vauxhall Victor estate,Austin Maxi,

Great Western,Canberra,go on please prove me wrong!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Kit's I'd love to see turn up in the GB but don't think will,Saunders Roe SR-53,Henry VIII,Heinkell He111,Vauxhall Victor estate,Austin Maxi,

For me it would be these guys...

12505_pd289658full.JPG

...how on earth would you get the mirror like reflective visors though...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Damn you sir! 😆

i built one last year and really enjoyed it so was keeping an eye on fleabay for a reasonably priced one for the gb but to no avail.

i see @trickydicky210 has one for sale and seeing the result above you've FORCED me into it.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Just missed a Canberra on Fleabay - £22.  They normally go for twice that amount and the only other one on there at the moment is buy it now for £185!

• Sad 3

Decision, decisions, decisions. I've been through the stash and pulled these out. There's pikes more including an RAF Emergency set and a class 97 Japanese tank. 

resized_ade7340f-9b00-438a-8c5c-3ac2a1f3

the Hunter is originally from 1960, although new parts were added in 82. The Anson is 1962 and the Pup a veritable youngster from 1973. 

• Like 4

Hi folk's,just had a few hour's at the Northern show,my God Kit's for Cash must have had the whole Airfix back catalogue talking to one of the

guy's the website stuff was left behind and everything(and I kid you not there must have been at least 6-700 kit's in total) was recently aquired

and brought straight to the show,sadly the three I had my eye on were not there so back to plan A and despite Greg building one I grabbed an

old boxing of the Stirling still in celophane for £16,what a blast looking at all those Airfix kit's many from the 1970's I was tempted to buy a good

half dozen of my old favourite;s but they would have all needed new decal sheet's if they were to be built.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's,just had a few hour's at the Northern show,my God Kit's for Cash must have had the whole Airfix back catalogue talking to one of the

guy's the website stuff was left behind and everything(and I kid you not there must have been at least 6-700 kit's in total) was recently aquired

and brought straight to the show,sadly the three I had my eye on were not there so back to plan A and despite Greg building one I grabbed an

old boxing of the Stirling still in celophane for £16,what a blast looking at all those Airfix kit's many from the 1970's I was tempted to buy a good

half dozen of my old favourite;s but they would have all needed new decal sheet's if they were to be built.

Sounds like you had a grand day out Steve.  I was half tempted a few days ago to 'pop up' to North Shields today - but I've got too 'involved' with my Pontoon Bridge to leave it alone for too long.  So I went to Widnes instead - don't ask :mental:

The Northern Show always sounds like it is a good one - maybe next year - it's only a couple of hours 'up the road'.

Looking forward to your excellent treatment of the Stirling :clap2:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BIG X said:

Looking forward to your excellent treatment of the Stirling

Cheer's Steve we'll see what can be done with it,it was like being a kid again looking at those old boxes Battle,Boston,Do17,spit's Hurricane's the lot

and all before the PC brigade toned down the artwork!

• Like 4

Been having a think about what to do for this.  I think the only thing I have in the stash that I have even the vaguest chance of finishing in time would be the 1/32 1914 Dennis Fire engine or 1910 B Type bus if I aim for nostalgia and do it straight from the box with no embellishments/detailing (if I can force myself to do it).  My version of both is the 2005 twin boxing but as far as I can tell from Scalemates, the sprues are unchanged from the 1966/1962 original releases.  I presume therefore that they would count?

I first remember making the fire engine in about 1972 on my grandmother's dining table and knocking over a pot of bronze paint when painting their helmets!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Been having a think about what to do for this.  I think the only thing I have in the stash that I have even the vaguest chance of finishing in time would be the 1/32 1914 Dennis Fire engine or 1910 B Type bus if I aim for nostalgia and do it straight from the box with no embellishments/detailing (if I can force myself to do it).  My version of both is the 2005 twin boxing but as far as I can tell from Scalemates, the sprues are unchanged from the 1966/1962 original releases.  I presume therefore that they would count?

I first remember making the fire engine in about 1972 on my grandmother's dining table and knocking over a pot of bronze paint when painting their helmets!

Yes, Chewbacca, these are in - details from the ATF are:

471/571/05443-8/06443-1/06443/A06443
B-Type Bus
1/32 scale.
Available as 471 from 1962 to 1965.
Omitted from First Edition 1962 catalogue but included on Price List.
Issued as 571 from 1966 to 1968.
Issued with extra parts as Old Bill Bus (573) from 1966.
Issued as B-Type Bus (05443-8) which also included parts for Old Bill Bus (573) from 1973 to 1977.
Reissued as 06443-1 from 1979 to 1980.
Omitted from 16th Edition (1979) catalogue and 1979 1st Edition Kit Price List.
Listed as 064431 on 2nd Supplement to the 16 Edition Kit Catalogue.
Reissued as 06443 from  1991 to 1994.
Reissued as part of Dennis Fire Engine & Old Bill Bus (09441) in 2005.

Similar for 472/572/05442-5/06442-8/9 06442/06442 Dennis Fire Engine.

This looks like this will be a very interesting build - looking forward to it. 

• Like 2

Hi all...I've got a nice, old Spitfire Vb kit, the old tooling, 1/48 scale gem. I've always loved them, and have built a few during the years....

Maybe a fitting candidate for this GB...?????

The inner fuselage has a moulded tag reading "1979".....

My question now is.....Must it be built strictly OOB, or some detailing, rescribing, etc...can be done...????? Don't plan to use any aftermarket resins or photoetched, just "hand made, old school, detailing" with cooper wire, lead foil, etc...The decals are in not so good condition, but I think they're still useable....

41861739374_0f357577ff_c.jpgIMGP0020 by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

40775260590_c476e5b04c_c.jpgIMGP0022 by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

41682110805_1306a3ef36_c.jpgIMGP0023 by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

40775214030_5af5ce005d_c.jpgIMGP0024 by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Artie said:

Hi all...I've got a nice, old Spitfire Vb kit, the old tooling, 1/48 scale gem. I've always loved them, and have built a few during the years....

Maybe a fitting candidate for this GB...?????

The inner fuselage has a moulded tag reading "1979".....

My question now is.....Must it be built strictly OOB, or some detailing, rescribing, etc...can be done...????? Don't plan to use any aftermarket resins or photoetched, just "hand made, old school, detailing" with cooper wire, lead foil, etc...The decals are in not so good condition, but I think they're still useable....

41861739374_0f357577ff_c.jpgIMGP0020 by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

40775260590_c476e5b04c_c.jpgIMGP0022 by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

41682110805_1306a3ef36_c.jpgIMGP0023 by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

40775214030_5af5ce005d_c.jpgIMGP0024 by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

A bit of wire and tin foil sound just the ticket.

• Like 2

Hi @Artie , good to have you aboard!

>>My question now is.....Must it be built strictly OOB, or some detailing, rescribing, etc...can be done...?????

As much or as little as you like :)  As long as the major components of the kit (wings and fuselage etc.) are not replaced the sky is the limit ;)

• Like 2