Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

46 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Airfix - The Golden Years - THE SEQUAL...  Sounds like one I'd like to watch :winkgrin:

Groupbuilds for classic kits are very popular.  In recent years we've had the Obsolete Kits GB and the Matchbox GB which both attracted large numbers of entries.  I'm sure this one will be similar.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Groupbuilds for classic kits are very popular.  In recent years we've had the Obsolete Kits GB and the Matchbox GB which both attracted large numbers of entries.  I'm sure this one will be similar.

Seems to be the case Enzo.. and I'm hoping that a classic Frog GB will get up for 2019. 

If I recall correctly, someone had suggested that the three classic British manufacturers (Airfix, Matchbox, Frog) should probably get an GB slot each year on a rotational basis - i.e Matchbox 2017, Airfix 2018, Frog 2019, Matchbox 2020, Airfix 2021.. etc. It certainly gives us slightly older gens a reason to delve into ones stash and actually build these shelf stackers as well as remind some of the younger folk what we all had to put up with prior to the fine recessed panel line era that we all enjoy today. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Seems to be the case Enzo.. and I'm hoping that a classic Frog GB will get up for 2019. 

If I recall correctly, someone had suggested that the three classic British manufacturers (Airfix, Matchbox, Frog) should probably get an GB slot each year on a rotational basis - i.e Matchbox 2017, Airfix 2018, Frog 2019, Matchbox 2020, Airfix 2021.. etc. It certainly gives us slightly older gens a reason to delve into ones stash and actually build these shelf stackers as well as remind some of the younger folk what we all had to put up with prior to the fine recessed panel line era that we all enjoy today. 

Cheers.. Dave

Nice Idea Dave - food for thought...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BIG X said:

Airfix - The Golden Years - THE SEQUAL...  Sounds like one I'd like to watch :winkgrin:

Off topic but a little timely. 

My 12 year old daughter wrote quite a good poem yesterday and called it "My last gasp" 

Always quick with a Dad quote - I told her that's sounds great and should you ever write a sequel you could call it "My second last gasp"!! Well - I thought it was funny. 

Cheers.. Dave (who can start this GB 10 hours early due to time zone differences - for once there's an advantage to this!) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

who can start this GB 10 hours early due to time zone differences

Aah, but you'll have to finish it 10 hours early too Dave, you'll need to keep that in mind

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Well - I thought it was funny. 

Don't kids just love Dad jokes. :D  :(

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Aah, but you'll have to finish it 10 hours early too Dave, you'll need to keep that in mind

Steve.

Shhh!!! Don’t mention that Steve, if we keep this to ourselves we might actually get away with it! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

...the three classic British manufacturers (Airfix, Matchbox, Frog) should probably get an GB slot each year on a rotational basis...

Cheers.. Dave

How about a four-year cycle, the fourth being for non-branded generic obsolete kit GB to get those Hellers, Revells and whatever there were, to be built too?

V-P

• Like 5

Happy with that V.P. Throw in Monogram as well, that’ll be nice. We could possibly do a Classic GB with MAF (Matchbox / Airfix / Frog) exclusions. This should open up a number of possibilities. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Off topic but a little timely. 

My 12 year old daughter wrote quite a good poem yesterday and called it "My last gasp" 

Always quick with a Dad quote - I told her that's sounds great and should you ever write a sequel you could call it "My second last gasp"!! Well - I thought it was funny. 

Cheers.. Dave ( who can start this GB 10 hours early due to time zone differences - for once there's an advantage to this!) 

We not going on zulu time then?? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just realised I have several old Airfix kits around here... I was planning to put these for sale, but maybe I should keep one or two and build them here...

Now the problem is what should I sell and what should I keep and build ? The F-86D is most likely staying here and may well be built for the GB, but what about the SH-3D and the Islander ?

The original issue of the Hawker Hart would be very hard to build for me, after all should be valuable enough, but what about the 3-4 Hurricanes ? At best I could sell them for a fiver, is it worth it ? Maybe they deserve being built (and the Mk.I isn't a bad kit really).

Ah, decisions, decisions....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Just realised I have several old Airfix kits around here... I was planning to put these for sale, but maybe I should keep one or two and build them here...

Now the problem is what should I sell and what should I keep and build ? The F-86D is most likely staying here and may well be built for the GB, but what about the SH-3D and the Islander ?

The original issue of the Hawker Hart would be very hard to build for me, after all should be valuable enough, but what about the 3-4 Hurricanes ? At best I could sell them for a fiver, is it worth it ? Maybe they deserve being built (and the Mk.I isn't a bad kit really).

Ah, decisions, decisions....

>> Maybe they deserve being built

Yes - for ALL of them!!!

Welcome aboard @Giorgio N !

• Like 3

OK we now have a banner should you wish to add to your signature.

Click on this link and download the picture:

https://flic.kr/p/J5W3Ei

Then, upload to your favourite photo hosting site then inset the link into your signature as you would if you were posting a picture.

Now don't laugh - after all I did get an F for art at school (and that was generous ;) )

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lawzer said:

OK we now have a banner should you wish to add to your signature.

Click on this link and download the picture:

https://flic.kr/p/J5W3Ei

Then, upload to your favourite photo hosting site then inset the link into your signature as you would if you were posting a picture.

Now don't laugh - after all I did get an F for art at school (and that was generous ;) )

Are these a limited edition mate. Showing the link is bad. What your been up to? 😜

EDIT 10 seconds later it works again. I'll go back to what I was doing before. Sorry 

Edited by Antb
  • Sad 2

gblogo

Not sure what happened there........

Might be easier just to copy the pic above.

I hope I'm not banned from flickr now ;)

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

gblogo

Not sure what happened there........

Might be easier just to copy the pic above.

I hope I'm not banned from flickr now ;)

🤣🤣🤣🤣

was the PB scandal your fault mate? 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Lawzer said:

F for art ... the first thing the little boy in me read was Fart. He he he he he!! 

Apologies for for slipping into 10 year old mode.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Is there room for a small one at the back? My success rate for GBs this year has been woeful, but I have something in mind for this one I've always wanted to build so maybe this is the time I finish something. Scalemates tells me it was a new tool in 1974. The kit is Series 1 and hasn't got wings - I just missed an original bubble pack issue, so I'll be using a later boxed version.

Come on postie, it's been 10 minutes since I ordered it. Where are you? :D 

Andy

Deliberately vague until the postie comes.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Is there room for a small one at the back? My success rate for GBs this year has been woeful, but I have something in mind for this one I've always wanted to build so maybe this is the time I finish something. Scalemates tells me it was a new tool in 1974. The kit is Series 1 and hasn't got wings - I just missed an original bubble pack issue, so I'll be using a later boxed version.

Come on postie, it's been 10 minutes since I ordered it. Where are you? :D 

Andy

Deliberately vague until the postie comes.

what a tease...

• Like 1