Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

45 minutes ago, Bonhoff said:

Quick question - I'm planning on building the recent issue Battle of Britain set containing the 1978 vintage Spitfire Mk I, the 1969 vintage RAF Refuelling Set and the 1972 dated RAF Personnel. 

Do I make a separate entry for each item or group them all together?

Yours etc

IanJ 

Hi @Bonhoff,

it's up to you on this one.  Usually it would be 1 thread per build (as per Big X's 4 threads) but since this is a set you could go either way....👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

It's up to you on this one.  Usually it would be 1 thread per build (as per Big X's 4 threads) but since this is a set you could go either way....👍

Thanks @Lawzer

Think it might be easiest to break them up then, if only to help @Rabbit Leader keep track on his list.

Kind regards

IanJ

• Like 3

9 hours ago, peterairfix said:

Just found my old 76 thirteenth edition still with its original price list and some of the prices certainly takes me back.

£3:99 for the 1/24 Spitfire sound's like a give away till I realised I started my firs job in August 1976 at £16 a week!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

according to mr google that would be about 28 quid in todays money.....the £3.99 I mean....

Begga...  I paid £60 each for my 2 the other year and boy could you tell it's an old mould...:doh:

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Quick question - I'm planning on building the recent issue Battle of Britain set containing the 1978 vintage Spitfire Mk I, the 1969 vintage RAF Refuelling Set and the 1972 dated RAF Personnel. 

Do I make a separate entry for each item or group them all together?

Yours etc

IanJ 

IanJ, you can do either or any combination inbetween. It may all depend on how much you get done before the final deadline for posting in the gallery. Best of luck!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

Begga...  I paid £60 each for my 2 the other year and boy could you tell it's an old mould...:doh:

Yup....

i bought one from the works last year, took one look and thought errrrr maybe not.  Simply cause i don't have the patience (nor skill!!) to do a decent job.....

• Like 2

Hi folk's at the risk of tumbleweed blowing down main street and the gentle howling of the wind,what happened to Old Thumper who started the ball

rolling on this GB? He was alway's a big promoter of building classic oldies.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's at the risk of tumbleweed blowing down main street and the gentle howling of the wind,what happened to Old Thumper who started the ball

rolling on this GB? He was alway's a big promoter of building classic oldies.

@Ventora3300 and i were saying earlier today this probably wouldn't have happened without his inirial post that planted the seed...

hope he maybe drops by to see what he's started 👍

• Like 3

I have found an Islander kit I will do for one I think. Its the later re issue from around the 90's with the three options. Planning to do the NZ reg 'Sight Seeing example and also mod the wing tips to the shorter span.

• Like 3

Just a quick note to say the Group Build forum is now live:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/626-airfix-the-golden-years-gb/

I know most of you will already be aware of this but we heard a few people who'd been in the group chat who didn't know....

👍

• Like 2

Few of my other GB's are dead in the water, except the prop stuff where my main interest is so why not start another?  I have two in the stash at the moment a B-24 and a B-26, of the two the B-26 looks far more appealing but I've had the hankering to build my Revell Dambusters Lancaster due to it being the anniversary which gave me an idea for this GB, perhaps attempting the BBMF box set which you can still pick up online.   Not the newer boxing but the older box 10999 with the Hurricane, I believe all the kits are in the parameters of this GB.  Failing that I will try to pick up one of my favourite bombers from WW2 the He 177 Grief.

• Like 2

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 19:47, theplasticsurgeon said:

The eligibility of upto and including 1980 would be fairly easy to check, by reference to Scalemates or Airfix Tribute Forum websites.

You could create a list of eligible kits. 

Just to clarify though,  are you proposing pre-1981 boxes?  - for which I've not got any,

or more recent boxings of the kits?  - for which I've got several. 

Edited 06 Dec 2017:

Airfix_Avenger.jpg

...I've just been looking back through this thread and found this beauty - I really hope this one makes it to the bench

• Like 3

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 20:09, Avereda said:

Could be an opportunity to break open the Maxi

171555-12155-540

This is the other one I would really love to see - complete with a scratch built pier and fishermen perhaps 😍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'd forgotten about these.....

Might have to have a look through the older posts to see what other beauties are hopefully waiting in the wings ;)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Blitz23 said:

Few of my other GB's are dead in the water, except the prop stuff where my main interest is so why not start another?  I have two in the stash at the moment a B-24 and a B-26, of the two the B-26 looks far more appealing but I've had the hankering to build my Revell Dambusters Lancaster due to it being the anniversary which gave me an idea for this GB, perhaps attempting the BBMF box set which you can still pick up online.   Not the newer boxing but the older box 10999 with the Hurricane, I believe all the kits are in the parameters of this GB.  Failing that I will try to pick up one of my favourite bombers from WW2 the He 177 Grief.

Welcome aboard @Blitz23 !

Indeed, all the above are eligible :)

I have always fancied the he177 but never brave enough to attempot it ;)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Blitz23 said:

Welcome! We need an Airfix He.177 since it is a pretty rare build. Failing that, the Dambuster Lancaster is another great choice. We are all ready for the 'brakes off' and a push on the throttle levers!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Welcome! We need an Airfix He.177 since it is a pretty rare build. Failing that, the Dambuster Lancaster is another great choice. We are all ready for the 'brakes off' and a push on the throttle levers!

Looking at reviews of Airfix's He 177 if I did add one to my collection I'll probably go for the Revell tooling so that leaves the BBMF box set.  Plan is to model them in flight, depending on how the decals are I'll use them, if not I may choose my own schemes from what's available decal wise online so they might not be genuine BBMF schemes but it'll still be a fun idea to run with.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BIG X said:

This is the other one I would really love to see - complete with a scratch built pier and fishermen perhaps 😍

It’s going to have to wait until Airfix - The Golden Years II (or III) at the very least

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, Avereda said:

It’s going to have to wait until Airfix - The Golden Years II (or III) at the very least

Airfix - The Golden Years - THE SEQUAL...  Sounds like one I'd like to watch :winkgrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

It's not the box - it's what comes out of it.

Well said that man - so will we see it emerge triumphant...

• Like 2