Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

48 minutes ago, BIG X said:

one-week_J.jpg

...so nearly time to clear the bench / put a new liner in the spray booth / check stock on relevant paints / pop a new scalpel blade in...

Excited much?? 😆

1 hour ago, badger said:

Been looking at my Chieftain last night. 

The basic kit is pretty solid (it builds an early mk2 out of the box, which is fine as I have several later versions).

The main issues are the wheels (some very strange stepped centres to them) and the tracks (horrible, greasy black vinyl).

I have a wee friends white metal replacement running gear set which I would like to use.

If I do so, does this still fit within the rules for the group build?

All the best

Ben

From the very first post (we amended the rules a wee bit from the originals....

5) For builds other than aircraft please use discretion and common sense when considering the use of aftermarket parts. For example aftermarket tracks, wheels or decking would be acceptable for a vehicle or ship while a aftermarket turret, hull or car body would not. The rule of thumb is that the bare bones or carcass of the model needs to be pre-1981 Airfix, whatever flesh is added to the bones is the choice of the builder.

So, yeah - it's still in 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very embarrassed...looking at where it says 'June 18' not '2 June 18'  I guess with my logic many builds all begin on the same day, the 18th...Hmmm...:blush:

Good thing I have lots of ventilation near the meddling bench!

This is how it feels to have egg on one's face...

Edited by John D.C. Masters
eggssess
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Lawzer said:

So, yeah - it's still in 👍

Excellent - just wanted to be sure.

Many thanks

Ben

• Like 3

Been to the LMS today to stock up ready for the big event next week. 😁

got myself some plastic road, plastic card and the such so I'm actually going to have a bash at some proper modelling. My first ever go at scratch building. Can't see it going very well folks but fingers crossed what I manage is passable. 

Stocked up on paints too, had a nightmare finding azure blue so had to go with another option. 

7 whole days! 

• Like 3

Very tempted to join in with this but for vintage Airfix it would have to be one of the many 1/600 scale ships in the stash and there's no way that I can complete one of those in 3.5 months especially noting that I'm just finishing off the Carriers GB with a Trumpeter Seahawk so realistically won't even be starting this for a month.  Last one I finished was the conversion of BELFAST to GLASGOW and that took just over a year.  I'll have a rummage through what I've got and see what I can come up with.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Very tempted to join in with this but for vintage Airfix it would have to be one of the many 1/600 scale ships in the stash and there's no way that I can complete one of those in 3.5 months especially noting that I'm just finishing off the Carriers GB with a Trumpeter Seahawk so realistically won't even be starting this for a month.  Last one I finished was the conversion of BELFAST to GLASGOW and that took just over a year.  I'll have a rummage through what I've got and see what I can come up with.

Hoping to see you aboard for this one @Chewbacca ! 👍

• Like 2

OK - those of you who had participated in the excellent Matchbox II GB earlier this year will be familiar with the Build list that I created and updated whenever I could.

A while back, the GB hosts asked if I would consider running a similar thread for this GB, so I've happily volunteered my services to keep something similar up and running.  

From the get go I have added links to all these builds, so if there's any particular build that you would like to look at, just click on the members name and it will take you straight there.

The Build list can be viewed here.  

Cheers and happy Airfix modelling to all... Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

"The engine's overheating, and so am I! Either we stand down, or blow up! Now which do you want?"

Planning on period blue plastic Vb as RFD.  But there's quite a lot of vintage Airfix carefully laid down!

Cheers

Will

• Like 3

On 5/12/2018 at 10:14 AM, badger said:

Haha - brilliant!!

I had a ceramic dusty bin money box as a kid - in fact I think I still have it up the loft.

Missus still has one floating around here somewhere and I can raise you and announce that one of my old work  colleagues actually "Won" the dustbin....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

When I got back to building aircraft kits - not models! - my first thought was to collect and build those that back in my childhood got away. I have very little of that nostalgia left and may build a kit or three in a Tribute GB like this, but otherwise I´m not willing nor able to turn these classics into modern day masterpieces. Luckily we´re a diverse bunch of people here at Britmodeller! I have two eligible subjects for this one, a Bilek bagging of Airfix FW 189 recon plane, originally from 1967 (a year older than I am) and a (I won´t even write it out because I´m not even going to try it. No way! It´s that awful!). The funny little Focke has decals for Hungarian AF but should I find a German one from Africa, that´d be it. V-P

• Like 3

Hi all it has been seven years but the bug has bitten again.Is there still a bit of space for a stragler in this GB?If so may I join?The kit intended is airfix kit no:00033 the Hawker P.1127 a real hog but with a bit of a nostalgic flavor none the less.

Regards:

Shaun

imageproxy.php?img=&key=8771052a4e1e8d84IMG_20180528_191449.jpg

Edited by the South African
  • Like 3

Just noticed Kit's for Cash wil lbe taking in the Northern show next week he's got a fair few Stirling's on the site so finger's crossed I can grab

one that's my choice for the GB.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, stevej60 said:

Just noticed Kit's for Cash wil lbe taking in the Northern show next week he's got a fair few Stirling's on the site so finger's crossed I can grab

one that's my choice for the GB.

Good luck fella! 👍

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lawzer said:

Good luck fella! 👍

Thank's Lawzer I would have E-mailed them to keep or take one but I know last year he had a few and at £14 not bad,might see what else he takes in the Airfix

range for a second build.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, the South African said:

Hi all it has been seven years but the bug has bitten again.Is there still a bit of space for a stragler in this GB?If so may I join?The kit intended is airfix kit no:00033 the Hawker P.1127 a real hog but with a bit of a nostalgic flavor none the less.

Regards:

Shaun

imageproxy.php?img=&key=8771052a4e1e8d84

Great choice - no spinning props on that one but four moveable nozzles!! Good luck with your build!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

If this has been asked or answered before I apologize,  but are Airfix kits reboxed by other manufacturers eligible?  For example MPC sold alot of Airfix kits here in the States.

Hi @Thud4444 , which kits did you have in mind?  If scalemates agrees then go for it! 

• Like 2

Quick question - I'm planning on building the recent issue Battle of Britain set containing the 1978 vintage Spitfire Mk I, the 1969 vintage RAF Refuelling Set and the 1972 dated RAF Personnel. 

Do I make a separate entry for each item or group them all together?

Yours etc

IanJ 

• Like 3