Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

28 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Somehow I think this cost you more than £1.50!

Actually not too bad at £6. Seen them go for a lot more than that 😎

• Like 3

Still mulling over what to do and looking at King Kit for inspiration,got the Northern show before kick off usually a few gem's tucked away

wish I'd got the Henry VIII figure last year for a decent tenner might try and mix it up with a car,figure and plane keep it small.

• Like 3

We are getting into Ted Rogers country now...

136476.jpg

Dusty says 'just 3 weeks to go'...

...for our friends in the 'colonies' - just google 'Dusty Bin and Ted Rogers' - hopefully it will explain itself :lol:

How's that for a bit of 'Vintage' :winkgrin:

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, BIG X said:

We are getting into Ted Rogers country now...

Altogether now......3...2...1!!! The hand twiddling always looked a bit obscene!

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Haha 2

Haha - brilliant!!

I had a ceramic dusty bin money box as a kid - in fact I think I still have it up the loft.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, badger said:

Haha - brilliant!!

I had a ceramic dusty bin money box as a kid - in fact I think I still have it up the loft.

yeh - but is there any cash in it...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 weeks??? Man I'll need that time to get the flash off the kit! 

I knew it was soon but didn't realise just how soon. Good job I'm starting to gather info ready for the build. 

Need to get several other non aircraft related projects off the desk before then too come to think of it. No pressure then. 

21 hours ago, BIG X said:

...for our friends in the 'colonies' - just google 'Dusty Bin and Ted Rogers' - hopefully it will explain itself :lol:

How's that for a bit of 'Vintage' :winkgrin:

I'm sorry mate. But who??? 

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Antb said:

3 weeks??? Man I'll need that time to get the flash off the kit! 

I knew it was soon but didn't realise just how soon. Good job I'm starting to gather info ready for the build. 

Need to get several other non aircraft related projects off the desk before then too come to think of it. No pressure then. 

I'm sorry mate. But who??? 

If you don't remember Ted Rogers and Dusty Bin then you are too young to be up at this time of night - now off to bed with you...

...youngsters eh :doh: 

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, BIG X said:

If you don't remember Ted Rogers and Dusty Bin then you are too young to be up at this time of night - now off to bed with you...

...youngsters eh :doh: 

I've asked the Mrs. She says she remembers and I've led a very sheltered life. Apparently. 😜

• Haha 3

Hello,

Mind if I join in? Not sure what with yet, but I have a few to choose from. Mainly aircraft, but also a couple of vehicles which are hovering around the edge of the modeling desk.

I actually bought some of these kits pre 1981, so there's no worry about eligibility. And I remember watching 3-2-1 !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Smudge said:

Hello,

Mind if I join in? Not sure what with yet, but I have a few to choose from. Mainly aircraft, but also a couple of vehicles which are hovering around the edge of the modeling desk.

I actually bought some of these kits pre 1981, so there's no worry about eligibility. And I remember watching 3-2-1 !!

Who could say no to someone old enough to remember 3-2-1 - but if anyone is still struggling....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-2-1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

WOW - it looks like Airfix have heard about our GB - take a look at this link...

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/airfix-vintage-classics.html?utm_campaign=2092191_Airfix - Vintage Launch - Week 7 2018&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Hornby PLC&_%24ja=tsid%3A71284&dm_i=2DJZ,18UCF,6DCEKS,3Z0PO,1

...now all we need is for them to cough up some prizes for the winners... :winkgrin:

Joking apart - does anyone know if any of these are particularly good or bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Smudge said:

Hello,

Welcome aboard!

43 minutes ago, BIG X said:

WOW - it looks like Airfix have heard about our GB - take a look at this link...

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/airfix-vintage-classics.html?utm_campaign=2092191_Airfix - Vintage Launch - Week 7 2018&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Hornby PLC&_%24ja=tsid%3A71284&dm_i=2DJZ,18UCF,6DCEKS,3Z0PO,1

...now all we need is for them to cough up some prizes for the winners... :winkgrin:

Joking apart - does anyone know if any of these are particularly good or bad.

Ooooohhh I wonder what kits we'll see......

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Ooooohhh I wonder what kits we'll see......

There are about 20 to 30 kits in the link.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank's for the welcome guys.

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

I followed the link to the Airfix website and was surprised to see two of the kits I was looking at this morning, as candidates for the GB. The 88mm Gun and Tractor (half-track) and the 40mm Bofors Gun and Tractor. I mainly make aircraft, but pick up the odd vehicle to add some scale and interest to my collection. The only thing that I thought might be a bit challenging were those rubber tracks for the half-track. I never could get them to 'stick' together properly or look vaguely convincing. Are there any suitable aftermarket alternatives?

The aircraft kit nearest the top of the stash was the Me.163B-1 Komet, still sealed in it's 'bubble pack' complete with stand. That shouldn't be too challenging, and if it goes ok I may dig out another.

Looking forward to the start.   

• Like 3

12 hours ago, BIG X said:

Who could say no to someone old enough to remember 3-2-1 - but if anyone is still struggling....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-2-1

Extract - Ted Rogers would regularly make a lightning fast 3–2–1 hand gesture. This became an important gimmick of the show – and a school playground favourite – mainly because, it was quite difficult to do, and resulted in a rude hand gesture if performed incorrectly. The correct way of doing the gesture is to hold up three fingers (index, middle, and ring) on the right hand, facing inward; two (index and middle) facing outward; and then one (index) facing inward, turning the wrist while changing the fingers.......

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Thank's for the welcome guys.

The only thing that I thought might be a bit challenging were those rubber tracks for the half-track. I never could get them to 'stick' together properly or look vaguely convincing.   

I seem to remember using a hot knife to melt down a couple of buttons on the track joints to join the free ends - cue smell of burning rubbery plastic. (Similar to the wheels on Frog kits, I suppose).

Never strong enough though to take your tank 'for a drive' in the same way that you took the aircraft for a fly round the room!

Surely superglue would solve this problem today.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

I seem to remember using a hot knife to melt down a couple of buttons on the track joints to join the free ends - cue smell of burning rubbery plastic.

Surely superglue would solve this problem today.

Ah, yes the old hot pen knife method. I tried that on a few Tanks back in my misspent youth. It did not end well, and I can still smell that burnt rubber. 

I guess some kind of superglue would be the way forward, although I think it will be a bit like wrestling a rubber snake. 

• Like 3

I was really surprised about the Airfix vintage classics, it reminds me of this Star Wars line called the Vintage Collection, where new figures were put in old 1970’s boxings.

But seeing the prices, I think this is a plan by Hornby to sell older molds at a higher price, with the excuse of a “nostalgia” line. There are tons of kids back in that era who built those kits (my Dad included) and I can see a lot of success out of putting the old Roy Cross paintings on the front. I also love the minimalist logo and design, I think they should switch to that logo and no red trimming for all boxes, as the Airfix logo is so recognizable (and the Adam Tooby art really shines.)

I just wish there were more aircraft in this style.

Edited by Crossiant Oliver
Grammar
  • Like 3

...and I swear I have an Auster Antarctica somewhere in the pile...

41224015795_0e4f9b3de4_z_d.jpg

heeheehee...this will be the funnest GB ever!

..and some decals.  I have been waiting to use the Peruvian 504 decals for a while.  I hope they're still ok!

The Mig will be from the Eduard sheet; the Hannover lozenge from 1/48th scale Aviatik.  Not exact, but good enough for Airfix!

The Pup's In France sheet from Pheon.  I will have to scavenge for the Chipmunk and the Cessna.

28257615128_81eac625cd_z_d.jpg

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 8

On 15/05/2018 at 11:59, John D.C. Masters said:

Don't forget the rigging!

If I go with this there will be rigging!!

Building the Chieftain first as I've wanted to do one of these for years. I have one in the stash but it's over the 25% built point and is being heavily converted to a much later version.

I have 50+ WW1 aircraft in the stash and bought the Pup at the IPMS nationals in Donnington just before I packed up modelling to go to Uni.

It's almost the longest stash resident so really does deserve to get built!

• Like 1