Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

Ideally I'd go for the velour smoking jacket (if I owned one), or tweed with leather elbow patches (also if I owned one).

However shirt and tie it will be, maybe even cufflinks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, badger said:

Ideally I'd go for the velour smoking jacket (if I owned one), or tweed with leather elbow patches (also if I owned one).

However shirt and tie it will be, maybe even cufflinks!

I'm liking the cufflinks idea...

If we are really going for the smart and sophisicated look I may dig out my Fez and pair it up with a monicle and cigarette holder...

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Are we allowed 2 galleries for this GB? Completed builds as normal for models and a second for the modellers!?

....I think that's called Facebook....don't go there....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bristol boy said:

Would the Lancaster from the BoB Memorial Flight box be acceptable here? Not sure but I think it predates the new tool Lanc and is therefore the 1960’s tool, can anyone confirm?

This would have to be Airfix’s 2nd Lanc incarnation which would date the original moulds to somewhere between 1979-80. Therefore your good on two fronts - it fits into the 1981 GB deadline and is also a much better starting point than the 1st Airfix Lanc tooling from circa 1958. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm already rumbling like a manic with 1 week to go on the BM 10th Anniversary GB and a collection of bits of plastic still to go together to produce the second option model! It will be nice to get a break though and tidy up before Airfix. D H Comet 4 is ready to go!! Must touch base with Rabbitleader to see if we are still on for his excellent Listing input. 

• Like 2

Yes Mike - I can hear you all the way from Down Under.. funnily enough I was only thinking about this today - then thought ‘Holy Cow’ I’ve got the RAF 100th to finish, I’m sure I committed to the MTO GB and this Classic Airfix one will be on to us quicker than you can say Roy Cross was a master craftsman! 

Still haven’t replaced the self igniting home computer yet so updating build lists might be a struggle, but hopefully I should be right by then. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 2

On 4/30/2018 at 9:13 AM, bristol boy said:

Would the Lancaster from the BoB Memorial Flight box be acceptable here? Not sure but I think it predates the new tool Lanc and is therefore the 1960’s tool, can anyone confirm?

If it's A50158 then according to scalemates it's the new tooling from 2012 with 2014 added new parts

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/634649-airfix-a50158-bbmf-collection

...and if it's A50116 then it's the 1980 tooling

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/143143-airfix-a50116-bbmf-collection

Edited by Knight_Flyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just returned from Planes of Fame 2018 with this one:

https://imgur.com/a/RINwcaQ

it looks like a simple build I can do in tonight and tomorrow. Only problem are decals. What should I do with those yellow decals?

EDIT: here are the decals are these fine to use? https://imgur.com/a/EO69xGs

Edited by Crossiant Oliver
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Crossiant Oliver said:

I just returned from Planes of Fame 2018 with this one:

https://imgur.com/a/RINwcaQ

it looks like a simple build I can do in tonight and tomorrow. Only problem are decals. What should I do with those yellow decals?

EDIT: here are the decals are these fine to use? https://imgur.com/a/EO69xGs

Yep, that looks like the 1974 boxing and the 'New' looks like it is for the decals rather than a 'new tool'. Your decals look like one just got dirty on the corner rather than overall yellowing, for which you just tape flat to the window on a sunny day (like today!) - you could try it but I've found before that dirt like that floats off when you actually put the decal in water when using. If you are going to 'weather' your build then it will fit right in! I love this Thunderbolt kit - it's a simple build but means you can spend time on the paint job. Hold back until the starting gun....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Yep, that looks like the 1974 boxing and the 'New' looks like it is for the decals rather than a 'new tool'. Your decals look like one just got dirty on the corner rather than overall yellowing, for which you just tape flat to the window on a sunny day (like today!) - you could try it but I've found before that dirt like that floats off when you actually put the decal in water when using. If you are going to 'weather' your build then it will fit right in! I love this Thunderbolt kit - it's a simple build but means you can spend time on the paint job. Hold back until the starting gun....

The mold says 1965, So yeah, probably new decals.

fortunately it’s always sunny in Southern California, so I’ll start to do that today. 

• Like 2

Having some serious thoughts about my planned build (sopwith pup), as have just won a shrink wrapped 1978 boxing of the Chieftain tank.

Very pleased with that as been after a second for a while. Will be built almost out of the box as a Mk II

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, badger said:

Having some serious thoughts about my planned build (sopwith pup), as have just won a shrink wrapped 1978 boxing of the Chieftain tank.

Very pleased with that as been after a second for a while. Will be built almost out of the box as a Mk II

Why not try for both...

...BTW how did you come to win it...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Why not try for both...

...BTW how did you come to win it...

That may be the plan 😎

Ah - ebay. Sadly 'won' still means I have to pay for it 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, badger said:

That may be the plan 😎

Ah - ebay. Sadly 'won' still means I have to pay for it 🙄

:lol: ...that reminds me of cash machines - every time I play one it always pays out - JACKPOT :mental:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Crossiant Oliver said:

Am I not supposed to start my model yet? 

No - not till the group build starts 👍

Has temptation got the better of you? ;)

• Like 1

Well, since you all hijacked my thread. I've found a scheme that I think I might just be happy with. Spanich AF with just the fin flashed in three colours and a some codes. I'll find the pic and download it to here.

Colin

• Confused 2

13 minutes ago, Crossiant Oliver said:

A little bit, I started the fuselage 🤐

also I have finals in two weeks and I need to study

As long as it's less than 25% complete you'll be OK.

Remember the group build lasts for quite a while so it's not necessary to start the minute the group build starts :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crossiant Oliver said:

A little bit, I started the fuselage 🤐

also I have finals in two weeks and I need to study

Get studying then and stop playing with models - the GB doesn't start until a week after your finals and then you have a whopping 16 weeks to play :winkgrin:

2 hours ago, Lawzer said:

As long as it's less than 25% complete you'll be OK.

Remember the group build lasts for quite a while so it's not necessary to start the minute the group build starts :)

wise words oh great furry one - 'steady as you go' :worthy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Woo - my Chieftain kit arrived today

IMG_20180510_233443

IMG_20180510_233452

Looking forward to this as have just finished my first model in 3 years!!

All the best

Ben

• Like 5