Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

1 hour ago, Plasto said:

Airfix box art was designed to get boys and girls to part with their pocket money not be a historically accurate rendition...

What could stop you handing over your cash for this Walrus.

26755601209_7c8db100c5.jpg

Or indeed this modern representation of the Panther...

37815632274_04e1ea6070.jpg

Are those palm trees. Like you might find in a desert??

The dogfight double comment was only an observation and not a criticism of the artwork.

Although I do have four palm trees in my own back garden I think it is a North African setting on the Panther tank artwork. I assume the reason why the current Panther boxing artwork includes palms is because the original artwork also included palms. I think there was an assumption by Airfix back when the original kit came out that because of the Panthers desert style camouflage that it was based in North Africa rather than Italy.  

Hi,

Yes I understand it was only an observation on your part. 

Box art is primarily there to look good and charge your imagination to build something spectacular and sell the dream..

In this image your your taking off on the way to dogfight over France with 190’s

38477809266_c389d2c3f2.jpg

In this image You wish you had an airbrush and dad would stop bringing his Mold tool plans home from work...

26757744579_63d8eb0aae.jpg

Here your advancing with close infantry support on day 3 of the battle of Kursk on the look out for T-34’s

26757848259_4ffca21f54.jpg

Here you contemplating a panel line wash and if your black and white technique worked or not while planning a caravanning holiday in France with a Michelin road atlas...

38501927582_c78dfb242d.jpg

Cheers

Plasto...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I never really liked those 1980's boxes with built models on top of plans either. I suppose Airfix must have felt the old Roy Cross paintings looked dated even back then, personally though I still much prefer them. I remember often tracing or copying Roy Cross's artwork as a kid, some how Roy Cross made paintings that looked more like the real thing than the real thing did.

The other thing with the 1980's built model box tops was that the model always seemed to look perfect. Just recently I built the very old Airfix B-17G "a bit of lace", I found building this kit neatly without cracks and gaps to be very difficult. After finishing this kit I asked myself how the builder of the box top kit had finished his model complete with rivets without leaving big cracks along the joins and gaps around the windows, the answer was if you look closely at the picture all those gaps and joins are visible. 

35798374413_082a8ba5f0_k.jpg

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 2

Hi,

Would I be OK with the recent 1:72 BoB Airfield Gift Set (A50015) given that the included Spitfire, with all of 27 parts, appears to be a pre 80's one that's been repopped ? - As are the fuel tankers and figures?

Yours hopefully

IanJ

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Hi,

Would I be OK with the recent 1:72 BoB Airfield Gift Set (A50015) given that the included Spitfire, with all of 27 parts, appears to be a pre 80's one that's been repopped ? - As are the fuel tankers and figures?

Yours hopefully

IanJ

I have that boxing and everything in it is from the good old days!  Of course only the plane itself is correct for the BoB so at least Airfix are consistent with their own historical work!;)

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

On 19/11/2017 at 12:29 PM, Ozzy said:

just picked this this up at the Wallop show

image.jpg

On 19/11/2017 at 10:00 PM, old thumper said:

That brings back memories. Excellent artwork but I'm not sure when those two marks actually crossed paths in NW Europe.

Think the boxart from this era was based on real events even if the exact types were not quite strictly correct. Certainly recall reading 'Johnnie' Johnson describe something similar in his book Wing Leader.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Hi,

Yours hopefully

IanJ

That is fine, I will put you on our list.

Don't forget to vote for us in the poll.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2017 at 2:06 PM, old thumper said:

We have now 40 nominations!  The group build poll closes very soon, get your votes in now. 

Thanks all.

1) Old Thumper

2) Ventora3300  

3) Rob G

4) Arniec

5) Theplasicsurgeon

6) Malpaso

7) Stevehnz

8) Caerbannog

9) CliffB

10) Zebra

11) Big X

12) Lawzer

13) Greg Destec 

14) Adrianmf

15) Antb

16) Paul J

17) Avreda

18) Nigel Heath

19) Rafalbert

20) Jb65rams

21) 825

22) Rick Brown

23) Grandboof

24) Plasto

25) Ray S

26) PLC1966

27) Tonytiger66

28) Rabbit Leader

29) Romeo Alpha Yankee

30) Mad_djg

31) Moggy

32) Tony W

33) PhantomBigStu

34) 1903Flight

35) Threadbear

36) Ozzy

37) Martian Hale

38) Colonel Wreck

39) Bonhoff

40) Croissiant Oliver

41) Stevej60

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 2

I'd like to add my name to the list for this one please.

Either the Short Sunderland III (was it really released in 1959), Mosquito FBVI (1/48) 1977 (1990) box or HMS Victory 1965 (which I've already started but is well under 25%)

All facts correct at the time of posting ;-)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Old thumper will no longer be available to host this GB, so I will be taking up the reins.  Would anyone like to co-host with me? 

I thought @Lawzer and @Ventora3300 had both already volunteered to act as co-hosts back towards the beginning of this thread???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

I thought @Lawzer and @Ventora3300 had both already volunteered to act as co-hosts back towards the beginning of this thread???

Yes we did.  Guess it doesn't make much difference to who "leads" the gb but if @old thumper isn't available then maybe @Ventora3300 and myself could have been asked.

regardless, a fun gb ahead! 😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I think this will be a very popular GB which a large number of entrants.  I think you would both be of benefit as co-hosts.

I'm still in for the GB and co-hosting as required. What happened to OT? Nothing serious, I hope?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

Hey sorry guys, I'm more than happy to step back if the original crew is available - I'm afraid I already have several to host or co-host anyway 😊. V-P

I’ll also stand down for the originals if need be, or co-host. Just let me know.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't visited the forum for some time but managed to get my vote in! Great to see we're a go guys. 

The next build for me me will be this one in June, looking forward to tackling the spit. 

• Like 2