Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

Just a quick reminder to let you all know that the voting has opened for 2018 group builds.

The voting is starting to heat up a little, so if you're into classic Airfix kits, or just remember them fondly then please give it a go and hit the link below to give Airfix The Golden Years your vote.   

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235019115-groupbuild-poll-for-2018/

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 2

Had a browse last night through the 'stashed' boxes of Airfix kits  parked in the loft and just seeing those plastic bags and headers (red stripe packaging) of those boyhood kits makes me want to build them all! The P-40 Kittyhawk and P-47 Thunderbolt.....Wildcat...Hellcat....

I hope this Group Build really grabs everyone's enthusiasm and we get the votes in.

• Like 3

I was having a look and the only 2 I have are the mosquito (3 of 'em!) and a 109E.  I might see if I can find another of the old mould stuka's in preperation ;)

• Like 3

I have my Airfix Pontoon Bridge on stand by - parked by the river in a number of trucks.  But...

I've been having 'crazy' thoughts about the 1/24 Spitfire MKIA - I bought 2 and built one from the 'best bits' in each box - leaving just the rubbish behind.  However...

My modelling 'skills' are a lot better than they were 12 months ago so I 'might' just 'might' drag it out of the loft.

Can you build more than one model in a GB???

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I have my Airfix Pontoon Bridge on stand by - parked by the river in a number of trucks.  But...

I've been having 'crazy' thoughts about the 1/24 Spitfire MKIA - I bought 2 and built one from the 'best bits' in each box - leaving just the rubbish behind.  However...

My modelling 'skills' are a lot better than they were 12 months ago so I 'might' just 'might' drag it out of the loft.

Can you build more than one model in a GB???

Go for it!!!

AFAIK you can do more than one build but I may be wrong.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, old thumper said:

Just a quick note to remind everyone that voting for the 2018 group builds is well underway. Please pop over to the group build page and give us your vote.

Always room here for more interested people.

A timely reminder for what I think will be a GB that has a place in everyone's heart.  I bet 99.9% of us built Airfix kits 'back in the day' - so think back folks and relive that lovely warm feeling it gives you. :D 

• Like 4

I have the 1/24 Spitfire MK Vb A50141 which I believe is eligible according to a previous post referencing this link. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/177853-airfix-a50141-supermarine-spitfire-mk-vb

My question though is this:-

As I mentioned in the new member forum I have just returned to modeling and purchased this kit a couple of months ago as my first kit in over 25 years. I quickly realized that I needed to build up my skills. I stopped the build early on and went onto a different model.

As I have already started the kit would it be eligible to enter the GB?

Thanks, Ian.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Colonel Wreck said:

I have the 1/24 Spitfire MK Vb A50141 which I believe is eligible according to a previous post referencing this link. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/177853-airfix-a50141-supermarine-spitfire-mk-vb

As I mentioned in the new member forum I have just returned to modeling and purchased this kit a couple of months ago as my first kit in over 25 years. I quickly realized that I needed to build up my skills. I stopped the build early on and went onto a different model.

Thanks, Ian.

Hey Ian - I guess it all comes down to...

How 'started' is 'started' ;)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Colonel Wreck said:

Thanks, Ian.

So long as it is not more than 25% complete it is ok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Colonel Wreck said:

Thanks, Ian.

I *think* the rule is under 25%.  Add your name @Colonel Wreck and we will check the rules :)

Just now, old thumper said:

So long as it is not more than 25% complete it is ok.

Beat me to it 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply guys.

It is about 20% done so still LOADS to do on it. I won’t touch it anymore and hope that this GB is selected for 2018.

I’m looking to get hold of an Airfix 1/24 Hurricane. If I get hold of that in time I will enter the Hurricane instead.

Count me in then! Colonel Wreck.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Colonel Wreck said:

It is about 20% done so still LOADS to do on it. I won’t touch it anymore and hope that this GB is selected for 2018.

I’m looking to get hold of an Airfix 1/24 Hurricane. If I get hold of that in time I will enter the Hurricane instead.

I will put your name on the list. Don't forget to vote, things are hotting up in the poll.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Colonel Wreck said:

Great to have you on the team - that 1/24 Hurricane can be a beggar - I did one last year - not a masterpiece by any means - but it makes me smile :D

DSCF3634.jpg

...as long as we're having fun eh :D

• Like 3

I'm guessing an old kit, previously built but since reduced to its constituent parts again would be eligible. I'm thinking a P-47 & TBM Avenger I built decades ago but are back In  pieces again ready for a rebuild. 

Steve.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I'm guessing an old kit, previously built but since reduced to its constituent parts again would be eligible. I'm thinking a P-47 & TBM Avenger I built decades ago but are back In  pieces again ready for a rebuild. 

Steve.

That sounds interesting - go for it...

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Steve.

I wasn't expecting this scenario, but having done the same thing myself in the past with an old Airfix Short Stirling I know that it would be less work just to buy a new kit. Sounds interesting, give it a go. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Steve.

Now there's a twist in the tail....go for it 👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, old thumper said:

That brings back memories. Excellent artwork but I'm not sure when those two marks actually crossed paths in NW Europe.

...who cares... they look brilliant :clap2:

• Like 2

Airfix box art was designed to get boys and girls to part with their pocket money not be a historically accurate rendition...

What could stop you handing over your cash for this Walrus.

26755601209_7c8db100c5.jpg

Or indeed this modern representation of the Panther...

37815632274_04e1ea6070.jpg

Are those palm trees. Like you might find in a desert??