Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

8 hours ago, old thumper said:

I think there is a bloke on here whose wife enjoys building kits, I can't remember who it was though and guessed it was Mrs Lawzer.

When i got back into modelling last year i spent a fair bit of time trying to mix a colour for a typhoon cockpit but failed......the mrs has a lot more artistic qualities than me so she mixed up some for me.....

nowadays though i don't think she's too keen on getting a step by step wip on everything i build 😂😂😂

think she's just happy i'm not under her feet at weekends anymore!!!!!

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I've just looked through my "Scalemates" stash and have the following kits that quality for this GB.

1960 - Bloodhound

1968 - Basset (bought 2nd hand and the previous owner had cut the door out!)

1972 - Canberra B.6 (with corrected Aeroclub nose)

1973 - Strikemaster & S.A Bulldog 

Not as many as I first thought, but the Canberra or Bulldog may be possibilities here.

Looks like the DC-3/Dakota/Skytrain GB is a good chance at getting up, so you might as well add my name as #28 to this one as well.

Cheers... Dave.   

A Bloodhound

A Basset

A Bulldog

...sounds more like Crufts :lol:

What kind of exotic breed is a Canberra - working dog / utility or maybe in this context a 'toy' :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, BIG X said:

A Bloodhound

A Basset

A Bulldog

...sounds more like Crufts :lol:

What kind of exotic breed is a Canberra - working dog / utility or maybe in this context a 'toy' :lol:

with all this dog talk I think someone feels left out (or at very least doesn't look too happy ;) )....

Capture

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Add me as well, I have these...

1973 B-24J Liberator

1963 Halifax

1980 Beagle Basset

1980 Cherokee Arrow

1972 SAM-2 Guideline

I am currently working on a 1963 C-47 over in the radial engines GB as well.

I think the Beagle Basset and Cherokee Arrow are pretty scarce kits also. I don't build civil stuff but think I can remember hearing of others having problems trying to track these kits down.

I remember building the Arrow, I must have one of the very first kits. 

• Like 3

We have now reached the qualifying number of 30 nominations. Airfix The Golden Years (unless I have made any mistakes) will now be included within the ballot to decide the 2018 group build season, the ballot starting this November.

Thanks all.

1) Old Thumper

2) Ventora3300  

3) Rob G

4) Arniec

5) Theplasicsurgeon

6) Malpaso

7) Stevehnz

8) Caerbannog

9) CliffB

10) Zebra

11) Big X

12) Lawzer

13) Greg Destec 

14) Adrianmf

15) Antb

16) Paul J

17) Avreda

18) Nigel Heath

19) Rafalbert

20) Jb65rams

21) 825

22) Rick Brown

23) Grandboof

24) Plasto

25) Ray S

26) PLC1966

27) Tonytiger66

28) Rabbit Leader

29) Romeo Alpha Yankee

30) Mad_djg

31) Moggy

32) Tony W

33) PhantomBigStu

34) 1903Flight

35) Threadbear

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Great news - but thanks must surely go to the host, who had the vision and perseverance to put this GB proposal up in the first place.  

Good one Old Thumper.. lets now hope it gets voted up.

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 5

15 hours ago, BIG X said:

tell me about it...

...I had to explain to my good lady that 109's could only fly if they were in 5's - otherwise they got scared :lol: 

BTW - luckily she hasn't seen all that 1/72 stuff that has appeared in the last month - though she has enquired as to why there are ladder prints in the carpet under the loft hatch :doh:

Who do I think I'm kidding - it's like living with Miss Marple...

I sympathise! About a year ago I got really enthusiastic on ebay in buying old Airfix kits (had to be 'red stripe'), delivered to my place of work (of course) but arrived home one evening to find that my own SWMBO had gone through my latest credit card statement and highlighted all the paypal type entries - lines highlighted in yellow and helpfully totalled up at the bottom to the sum of around £350! I found myself 'on the carpet' and trying desperately to explain the attributes of modelling and that an average of approx. £10 a kit wasn't unreasonable. What do you think happened when I felt so hard pressed that I felt duty bound to remind SWMBO that she would happily spend that amount on one pair of shoes....? Heavy flak / limped back to the hangar on one engine!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

I sympathise! About a year ago I got really enthusiastic on ebay in buying old Airfix kits (had to be 'red stripe'), delivered to my place of work (of course) but arrived home one evening to find that my own SWMBO had gone through my latest credit card statement and highlighted all the paypal type entries - lines highlighted in yellow and helpfully totalled up at the bottom to the sum of around £350! I found myself 'on the carpet' and trying desperately to explain the attributes of modelling and that an average of approx. £10 a kit wasn't unreasonable. What do you think happened when I felt so hard pressed that I felt duty bound to remind SWMBO that she would happily spend that amount on one pair of shoes....? Heavy flak / limped back to the hangar on one engine!

you're lucky you still had 1 engine turning - think I'd have been gliding in ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Great news - but thanks must surely go to the host, who had the vision and perseverance to put this GB proposal up in the first place.  

Good one Old Thumper.. lets now hope it gets voted up.

Cheers.. Dave  

You are to kind. To be honest a couple of other members had a similar idea a couple of years ago but couldn't agree over the rules and dropped it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, old thumper said:

We have now reached the qualifying number of 30 nominations. Airfix The Golden Years (unless I have made any mistakes) will now be included within the ballot to decide the 2018 group build season, the ballot starting this November.

Thanks all.

1) Old Thumper

2) Ventora3300  

3) Rob G

4) Arniec

5) Theplasicsurgeon

6) Malpaso

7) Stevehnz

8) Caerbannog

9) CliffB

10) Zebra

11) Big X

12) Lawzer

13) Greg Destec 

14) Adrianmf

15) Antb

16) Paul J

17) Avreda

18) Nigel Heath

19) Rafalbert

20) Jb65rams

21) 825

22) Rick Brown

23) Grandboof

24) Plasto

25) Ray S

26) PLC1966

27) Tonytiger66

28) Rabbit Leader

29) Romeo Alpha Yankee

30) Mad_djg

Well done Old Thumper - looking forward to it (confident). Don't forget that I volunteered to co-host and we can work out what's needed nearer the time.

You have drawn together a very august gathering here - looking at the profiles, I make it :

2 Completely Obsessed Members

8 Very Obsessed members

4 Obsessed members

8 Gold members (one of these a 'Stash Collector')

5 Established Members

3 New Members

Surely the 'weight' of this group will count towards something in the vote?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, old thumper said:

Thanks all.

Well done Thumper and indeed everyone for maintaining the interest in this GB until we got to 30.  We seem to have a fun crowd of folk on board and don't forget - just because we have got to 30 - if you haven't registered your interest yet...

...40 or 50 is better than 30 when it comes to voting time - so don't be shy - get on board :D

• Like 3

10 hours ago, old thumper said:

I think the Beagle Basset and Cherokee Arrow are pretty scarce kits also. I don't build civil stuff but think I can remember hearing of others having problems trying to track these kits down.

I remember building the Arrow, I must have one of the very first kits. 

I have 2 of the Arrow kits and at one point had 2 Bassets as well. Took me a while to find the first Arrow kit, the second was an easier find, I think from the same batch as the SAM-2.

Looking forward to seeing if this one gets a guernsey.

• Like 4

Great job guys! 

Now I need to hold off building my kit until we know whether it's a go or not. 

Fingers crossed. 

• Like 3

Got an old Airfix kit???  Looking for a bit of fun???  Get your name down here...

Though we have 30 members already signed up - for what could be the most entertaining Group Build of 2018 - don't sit back and think “yeh I'll join in later“ - nail your colours to the mast and join in the fun now.

It's time to unleash your hidden younger self :D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm in. Have any number of Airfix kits - most of them produced before 1981.

I might do a Lancaster 1980 kit.

(edit: thanks for the correction :) )

Edited by Moggy
wrong year edition
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Moggy said:

I'm in. Have any number of Airfix kits - most of them produced before 1981.

I might do a Lancaster 1981 kit.

Great, your name has been added to the list.

Just checked and that Lancaster kit was first released in 1980. 

• Like 4

just checked and seems the kit sitting unbrought in my LHS i was considering for this was first tooled in 82, disappointing, though there is the aceint beaufighter/bf109g dogfight set, which not worth my time. However there is plenty out there that do some I may well vote for this 

just checked and seems the kit sitting unbrought in my LHS i was considering for this was first tooled in 82, disappointing, though there is the aceint beaufighter/bf109g dogfight set, which not worth my time. However there is plenty out there that do some I may well vote for this 

• Like 1