Airfix, The Golden Years Group Build. Classic Airfix 1950's- 1980 Chat

43 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Just had a look at the mossie. Date on fuselage is 1980.  Must have been a new tooling 😂

along with a resin gun bay / canon bay from 1994!

so @BIG X looks like i'll be defending the pontoon bridge ;)

so, i guess this will be a group build (all being well) for next year?

A bit of air cover never goes a miss ;)

• Haha 1

Here's the pontoon boxing in all it's glory...

pontoon_bridge_airfix_boxT14.jpg

...I've just realised - I'm going to have to do water too - that will be another learning experience.

The only problem now is...

...can I keep my hands off the kit until the build.

It's not like I can get another - Hannants sold out almost immediately they put them up.

Come on folks - join in - this is the perfect chance to build something with a history.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, BIG X said:

In the spirit of being an interfering nuisance can I nominate @Lawzer as he is out buying vintage kits as we speak...

...c'mon Ian you know you should... :wicked:;)  If you do I will.

I have that vintage pontoon bridge to build.  The bridge comes from 1970 and my first encounter with it was 1971 when it came as a full assault set - with troops and tanks and stuff...

...but I digress - I recently acquired the 2004 re-box and I think this would spur me on to do it.  @Lawzer - you could maybe bomb it with a Stuka :lol:

I had the Gun Emplacement Assault Set, it came with British and German infantry, sandbags, tank traps, Centurion tank, SPG, DUKW and armored personal carrier, if I remember correctly.  The vehicles were those poly ones you don't see anymore.  

• Like 2

I'm in. Absolutely superb idea. 

I hosted my first group build earlier this year. It was a lot of fun. Enzo is really supportive and helpful.

I have an Airfix Halifax that I can't bring myself to part with. Utterly irrational. I also want to build an Airfix Churchil tank for the first time in around 43 years :).

Has anyone started a thread for a FROG GB yet?

If not, I will; a nice retro year would be great fun and nostalgic for many of us :).

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 6

Nice idea. 

The only thing I could possibly have for this build, and I need you guys to help me out if you would, is an Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Vb A12005A boxing which I'm led to believe is a release from 2013 but was originally produced from the1970 Spitfire Mk 1. 

Question is, would this count? 

The amount of flash would suggest it's an old kit. :o

Here's hoping as would be good to get involved with this one. If not I will just have to get it built anyways. 

Edited by Antb
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Antb said:

Nice idea. 

The only thing I could possibly have for this build, and I need you guys to help me out if you would, is an Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Vb A12005A boxing which I'm led to believe is a release from 2013 but was originally produced from the1970 Spitfire Mk 1. 

Question is, would this count? 

The amount of flash would suggest it's an old kit. :o

Here's hoping as would be good to get involved with this one. If not I will just have to get it built anyways. 

Yep Ant - that would count - it comes from the original MKI 1970 tooling - here is the provenance as they say on the antiques roadshow...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/109427-airfix-12005-spitfire-mk-vb

• Haha 1

Just now, BIG X said:

Yep Ant - that would count - it comes from the original MKI 1970 tooling - here is the provenance as they say on the antiques roadshow...

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/109427-airfix-12005-spitfire-mk-vb

Do you know what I looked everywhere for that! Cheers mate. 

Count me in then please guys! 

Just now need to hold off wanting to make a start!!!!! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Antb said:

Just now need to hold off wanting to make a start!!!!! 

I know we are a long way off getting this thing off the ground - so to speak - but if I understand correctly you may be able to clean all the flash off the kit before the GB starts.

But then again - you know what happens when you do that - you start 'tinkering' - so - HANDS OFF :wicked:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BIG X said:

I know we are a long way off getting this thing off the ground - so to speak - but if I understand correctly you may be able to clean all the flash off the kit before the GB starts.

But then again - you know what happens when you do that - you start 'tinkering' - so - HANDS OFF :wicked:

Actually if I start cleaning the flash I should just be about done by the time the GB starts..... 

I'm sure I can hold off. I have a couple of other bits to do first! Now where did I put that Stirling.. .... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 03:04, old thumper said:

I had the Gun Emplacement Assault Set, it came with British and German infantry, sandbags, tank traps, Centurion tank, SPG, DUKW and armored personal carrier, if I remember correctly.  The vehicles were those poly ones you don't see anymore.  

Centurion Tank kit - my first armour build! Followed by the Churchill! I keep seeing those kits on e-bay and have resisted so far since I have gone absolutely mad on aircraft in this retro phase.

• Like 2

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 20:21, TonyTiger66 said:

I'm in. Absolutely superb idea. 

I hosted my first group build earlier this year. It was a lot of fun. Enzo is really supportive and helpful.

I have an Airfix Halifax that I can't bring myself to part with. Utterly irrational. I also want to build an Airfix Churchil tank for the first time in around 43 years :).

Has anyone started a thread for a FROG GB yet?

If not, I will; a nice retro year would be great fun and nostalgic for many of us :).

Best regards

TonyT

I have felt 'Frog-build fever' bubbling away since I read that fantastic thread by AdeyM. Need to concentrate on one at a time though.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Centurion Tank kit - my first armour build! Followed by the Churchill! I keep seeing those kits on e-bay and have resisted so far since I have gone absolutely mad on aircraft in this retro phase.

24 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

I have felt 'Frog-build fever' bubbling away since I read that fantastic thread by AdeyM. Need to concentrate on one at a time though.

Regards,

Mike

Although a WW2 aircraft modeller I have dipped my toe into the world of old Airfix armour kits a number of times again over the last ten years, they are very basic but enjoyable builds. 

I was also impressed by the Frog topic, a gold mine of great kits from Frog also.

The original vehicles with the assaults sets were made from that bendy plastic that Airfix moulded their figures in, paint would flake of them.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2017 at 8:36 PM, old thumper said:

Prospective "Airfix The Golden Years" group builders so far. 

Updated  21/09/17

1) Old Thumper

2) Ventora3300  

3) Rob G

4) Arniec

5) Theplasicsurgeon

6) Malpaso

7) Stevehnz

8) Caerbannog

9) CliffB

10) Zebra

11) Big X

12) Lawzer

13) Greg Destec 

14) Adrianmf

15) Antb

16) Paul J

17) Avreda

18) Nigel Heath

19) Rafalbert

20) Jb65rams

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Avereda said:

Could be an opportunity to break open the Maxi

171555-12155-540

Now that is brilliant - considering you don't drive - I love your car!!!

• Like 4

There are some smashing kits coming up here - we still need a few more folk to get on board.

I wonder if @CedB could be tempted - a proper 'wheels up' genius with lots of fun builds - C'mon Ced - this needs your support.

• Like 3