Pocher Aventador Build (Blue Roadster)

Dr. Fiat

All of the transkit PE pieces have now been added to the engine heads.  The exception are the valve cover bolts, 84 of them.  Silver911 was kind enough to suggest hex bolts from MFH, which also have a flange that simulates the actual washer.  Although expensive, this saved a ton of work as the transkit requires cutting and filing down EACH washer separately, then adding the rivets.  This was a much easier task- thanks for this suggestion!  The molded bolt heads were removed with an Exacto knife and they were filed level with a Dremel.  Before drilling each hole, I tried a trick that Codger recommended in the past- simply heat a sewing needle with a cigarette lighter, and melt-press the needle into each bolt location to provide a good center seat for the drill.  This worked beautifully!  Thanks Codger!

It's unfortunate that much of this will be covered by the intake, but I take great satisfaction in knowing that it is indeed there!  Thanks to everyone for supporting me during this build...

27786754559_1099ce2e3e_k.jpgMFH Hex Bolts by Darin Dotson, on Flickr

24695443337_78c8091c41_z.jpgMFH Hex Bolts by Darin Dotson, on Flickr

24695358367_71790c81e0_k.jpgComplete PE Engine by Darin Dotson, on Flickr

25692610618_4698ac0b8a_k.jpgComplete PE Engine by Darin Dotson, on Flickr

27786618399_410639ced0_k.jpgComplete PE Engine by Darin Dotson, on Flickr

• Like 1

That looks great! Like you said, it's too bad that it all gets hidden underneath the plenum. I like the the bolts with the washer attached and I think that they might even work on the F40 cam covers. I'll have to measure the molded ones to the measurements on the bag. Keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Larchiefeng!  They will certainly work in your application.  Another thing that I will try- adding a bit of black pigment in thinner, dilute, as a "wash" to the bolts to give them some depth.  Believe it or not there is a tiny hex hole in each head!  I'm watching your F40 build with great interest too!

• 8 months later...

Howdy folks!  I just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that I'm not dead!  LOL.  It's just that LIFE got in the way of this build, I suppose it happens all too often.  But I have all of these assemblies sitting in front of me, and a renewed interest to get it done.   I could easily just finish the car without the transkit pieces, but I know I'll regret it.   I suppose I need a bit of encouragement- do any of you wish to see this completed, or benefit any others that may be building this kit?

Thanks!  I'll try to be a more involved member from here on out!

Darin

• Like 1

Your work on the engine is brilliant, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you make of the rest of the kit.  I'm currently working (occasionally!) on the Huracan, and looking forward to picking up some tips.  So, yes, please do carry on and post your work.  It's an inspiration.

• Like 1

I was unaware of this thread since I joined after your posts in January, but that engine looks fascinating so please go ahead and finish it, if only for your own piece of mind 🙂

• Thanks 1

I agree with the rest, I also need to find some motivation to go back and continue with the F40. Like you, life seems to have gotten in the way of my build too. I went back to work after being off for almost six years and it's surprising  how many things pile when you go back to work. I'm hoping to get back on it when the season changes and watching you will help get me back into the game too. So, yes, we want to see you continue on! :jump_fire:

• Thanks 1

Thank you all, it means more than you know to hear these words!  Larchiefeng- I know how you have sweated the rebuilding of that F-40- it would be a travesty not to see it completed!  I, for one, received great inspirations for your build.  I promise to renew my commitment to this kit!

• Like 1

Thanks Darin, I do plan on getting back to the F-40 at some point fairly soon. It's funny, when it's cold you tell yourself; I can't wait for it to warm up so I can paint or do things on the big body out in the garage. But, when summer comes, you find all kinds of excuses to do other projects outside around the house and yard that can't be done in the winter when it snows. It's all very seasonal when you live at altitude in the mountains and you really do have four seasons. Even though I live in California, I live up above 6000' and I'm either getting ready for winter in the summer and fall or repairing all the damage from winter and so on.

I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I was truly retired and had settled into a routine which allowed plenty of free time to do the house projects and modeling as well. Then, in June, I was offered an opportunity to go back to work as a consultant on my own terms and I decided that, it was too good of an opportunity to pass up. But, it really messed up my little routine and it took a few weeks to catch up on all the stuff I had been doing in seven days and compress all that into two days. It was quite an adjustment and had me wondering how I did it all five years ago when I worked more than full time 50 hours a week! All of a sudden, I'm struggling with 35-40 hours a week but, now I'm getting into a new routine or, a new normal as it were and working 25-30 hours a week. 

I think, once I get things put away and ready for winter around here, I'll be ready get reacquainted with the Ferrari. In the meantime, I'm relying on you and a few others to inspire me to sit down and join in the fray!! :rage:

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I started working on mine after seeing your work, and I'm having a blast! Large scale is so much fun!! I don't think I can post pics though, I don't use Flicker and my Fotki account expired. I'm only on the engine but man it's so much fun!

• Like 2

Thanks to "Endeavor" I CAN post pictures, thank you so much Endeavor!

So I just wanted to share my pictures, but I won't keep posting on this thread because this is Dr. Fiat's build and he inspired me, thank you Dr. Fiat!

Cheers! Dennis (Dino246gt)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Darin, I do hope you will find the time and motivation to continue anytime soon. 

It is such a great build you are doing. 

Hope to take away some pointers as I have this kit and the Tomaso kit in my stack. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I am not dead!!  Contrary to international rumors, I am still breathing!  And after checking Ebay, these kits are going for 2000 bucks?  Holy Shiite!  I need to finish this beast!  Seriously, I have all my parts boxed and ready to complete.  Patience from my friends on here is appreciated!!!!  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Fiat said:

I am not dead!!  Contrary to international rumors, I am still breathing!  And after checking Ebay, these kits are going for 2000 bucks?  Holy Shiite!  I need to finish this beast!  Seriously, I have all my parts boxed and ready to complete.  Patience from my friends on here is appreciated!!!!  

Hmm, some folkes are asking silly money, but I’m sure they will not sell for anywhere near that amount of money.

And I’m sure of that because you also see them listed for amounts in the range of the prices shops asked when they were available.

• Thanks 1