Pocher Aventador Build (Blue Roadster)

Dr. Fiat

I decided to open this separate build thread for the actual car, as my previous one focused on some pre-assembly of the incredible Tommasso Iuele transkit while waiting on this kit.  I will be incorporating most of the elements of the transkit, but will skip some areas that are out of my beginner's skill set.  I will also likely be skipping around in the order of steps as defined by Pocher, and including various transkit bits as I go along.  Thanks to all for your patience, and I look forward to learning much from the experts here, particularly those that have built the Aventador.  More to come !!

Darin

Started working on the interior using the pre-cut carpeting from Tommaso Iuele- excellent embroidery on the floormats!!  Just test fitting everything together.  He also includes carbon fiber decals for the back of the seats and dashboard, with cutouts.  I plan on doing some photo-etch work here in the interior.

Aventador interiorAventador interiorAventador interiorAventador interior

• Dr. Fiat changed the title to Pocher Aventador Build (Blue Roadster), with Tommaso Iuele's Transkit

Received the soft tires from ScaleAutoWorks today, and what a difference they make.  They are very flexible, but have a rib running in the center of the inner tire for support.  All they require is a bit of thin CA glue to adhere them.  These are very expensive, but worth it because of the realism.  In these photos I have compared a front and rear soft tire to a kit tire, which is hard and inflexible.

Aventador soft tiresAventador soft tiresAventador soft tires

Another nice thing- these are made of silicone, which will not degrade like typical butyl rubber tires.  

• Like 1

The soft tires have a reinforcing rib around the center of the circumference for added support.  But there are hollow channels that feel squishy and unnatural.  I decided to add magnetic tape, which is quite heavy, around the wheels to give the wheel added mass and support across the tire.  These are now ready for CA glue- I made sure sand the painted surfaces on the edges, and wash both tires and wheels with soap and water.  They now feel like properly weighted and solid tires.  Thanks to all for watching!

Wheel weightingWeighted wheels 2

• Like 2

• Dr. Fiat changed the title to Pocher Aventador Build (Blue Roadster)
On 9/9/2017 at 11:00 PM, Dr. Fiat said:

I decided to add magnetic tape, which is quite heavy, around the wheels to give the wheel added mass and support across the tire.    They now feel like properly weighted and solid tires.  Thanks to all for watching!

I learned the hard way about adding weight to Pochers Darin.

They are portly as is and can over time defeat the springs, leaf or coil. If you're careful about ride height, you can assist the springs with pillars or props inside the coils or between a leaf spring pad and the chassis. Fasten securely so the model can be lifted and the suspension does not droop.

• Like 1

Thanks for commenting on this build, Codger.  I agree with you- but these tapes only add grams to each wheel, and the springs/arms on this beast are quite sturdy- the spring itself is actually too stiff, IMHO.  I totally understand your experience- I'll make sure not to add any more unnecessary weight.

• Like 2

As I mentioned before, I will be going randomly through the build instructions and adding the transkit features as I go.  Here is an important piece- the crown jewel of the engine, which has the ever-present Lamborghini emblem already painted for us!  But the transkit has a much nicer PE emblem, it only takes some bravery to sand down the factory logo to flatness and super glue the PE parts to the intake cover.

Engine HeadEngine HeadEngine Head

Finally, after the emblems have been placed, I chose this Rustoleum textured black/grey stone paint to mimic the stone color on the actual engine.  Tomorrow, I will simply sand the emblems to reveal the metal Lamborghini name.  The carbon fiber center piece will complete the assembly.

36819024790_e80beef754_b.jpg

• Like 1

I managed to create the texture I wanted, but buggered it slightly right around the lettering.  I think it will look fine with some scale bolts and washers to decorate the carbon fiber center piece.  On we go....

Intake finishedIntake finishedIntake finished

• Like 1

If I may.....this is a far better option if you want a better (in scale ) textured finish....

http://www.hiroboy.com/Black_Textured_Paint__60ml_Engines_Interiors_etc--product--9917.html

This is also a very useful colour for parts of this kit...and has a slight texture/metal  effect finish....

http://www.hiroboy.com/Carbon_Ceramic_Grey_Paint_60ml___ZP1319--product--8276.html

Ron

Thank you Ron!  I agree, and I wish I had an airbrush system too!  I typically do rattle cans.  You are right, the "grit" in the Rustoleum is too large and is good for human scale viewing, but not ideal for 1/8 scale.  I will ponder this and figure out what to do.  I appreciate your input!

Ron, I am certainly not averse to getting some help here!  Perhaps the first Aventador "Buddy" Build?  It's really nice of you to offer to help- it would be trivial for me to pop it in an envelope and send it your way :)

Thanks!!!

Darin

2 hours ago, rjfk2002 said:

Off to a great start in this one. Are you going to leave the interior sand color? I build the orange coupe a few years back and it's a great looking kit. 

Rich

Hey Rich!  Indeed, your build was one of the ones I learned a great deal from.  Yes, I'm going to leave it sand.  I chickened out on the LED's, as I completely have my hands full with this unbelievable transkit.  I am not a novice modeler per se but I am new to adding and creating this much fine detail.  Please do chime in when you see something I missed or you have a suggestion!  I'm trying to use the mindset of "good enough is not enough" with these steps- takes quite a bit of patience and diligence!!

I would recommend a few tools that I really wished I had when I built this:

• Taps - There are several different metric screw holes (a few particularly small) that are intended to be self tapped with kit screws.  It's a real pain and in the case of the small ones usually ends up stripping the head of the screw making it useless.  Gets the taps from Scale Auto Works and/or Paul Koo, some mineral oil (help lubricate the treads), a tap holder or pin vice and save your self the headache.  I think I ended up damaging enough of the small screws trying to tap parts that I had to order extras from Hornby
  • Screw Starter - MMC sells one, it is a screw blade with retractable jaws to hold the screw.  It is great for hard to reach/blind screws as well as just normal screws.  It's a really handy tool
  • Small Nut driver - The headlamps have these little clear LED bulbs that need to be glue in place.  They are tiny and really hard to hold in place.  I tried to use tweezers with tape and it didn't work so well.  I lost a few to the carpet monster and had to order extras from Hornby.  Looking back I think you can pop the part in a nut driver and use that to securely hold it until the glue dries.  You'll want to lose clear canopy glue and not CA.  The CA fumes will damage the part and cause ghosting.  You can also use the glue to help hold down the windshield - the kit supplied double sided tape isn't strong enough

I don't recall if you have the Paul Koo DVD but I highly recommend it.  It's very helpful in pointing out potential problem areas (for example wheel wells are too long in some kits causing problems with the floor plan)

Thanks Rich- these are excellent tips!  Indeed I have the Paul Koo DVD, as well as a few taps and pin vise.  The canopy glue you mention- what type are you referring to?  Do you have a link?

Thanks!

Darin

I'll be watching your build with interest.  I too have the Tommasso transit.  The etched fret is excellent, but to be frank, I wasn't too impressed with the rest of it.  The instructions leave a little to the imagination too.  Still, I'm sure that your build will point me in the right direction when I eventually start the model.

Thanks Mark- I had the same reaction when I opened it- PE sheets, awesome!  Now what do I do with the rest of it?  His "instruction" book is neat, but it doesn't explain HOW to do anything.  Then I realized that I would decide how to utilize the kit, most based on pictures of the real Aventador, and some based on my own original ideas.  I'm not intending to have 100% accuracy, but to utilize what is in the transkit to the best of my ability.  There are a few things that to me seem unnecessary- like Dremeling out the dash A/C vents, only to replace them with metal units that are painted black anyway!  I don't need another excuse to damage the dashboard with a mistake, LOL.  On the other hand, creating an actual glove/storage box that opens and closes is a pretty neat idea- albeit risky.

This sounds a lot like the Autograph transkit and instructions we're dealing with except probably not quite as many parts. I know from Rich that the Lamborghini is so closed up a lot of the engine detail isn't going show unless you follow Roy's instructions for making the rear section removable; I know more work! lol:hourglass:I'm looking forward to seeing how your Lambo comes along. Good start!

3 hours ago, larchiefeng said:

This sounds a lot like the Autograph transkit and instructions we're dealing with except probably not quite as many parts. I know from Rich that the Lamborghini is so closed up a lot of the engine detail isn't going show unless you follow Roy's instructions for making the rear section removable; I know more work! lol:hourglass:I'm looking forward to seeing how your Lambo comes along. Good start!

I will most definitely be using the "Roy Rear End Removal Procedure" on this model.  No way am I going to toil away at those innards and keep them in the dark! :)

Some work on the secondary air system fans....I finally received the 0.8 mm hex bolts and nuts from Autograph today, and tested my reading glasses installing them on the fans ...:)

FansFansFans

• Like 3