1/144 F-RSIN Plastic British Airways HS121 Trident 3B

2 hours ago, Ratrace said:

Stunning job there, hmmm all those old engines produced sounds you could feel. The good old days.

In total agreement with you there.

Another stunner of a build Ian on what is a pig of a kit. I know of at least two that are sat unfinished on separate work benches so seeing your finished model is a bit of a novelty.

Would make a great picture if both you and John got a few models together and replicated Ringway in the early seventies.

Chris.

Lovely build of what some may think as just another small airliner but I think the Trident is a lovely looking bird. I remember seeing one at EGPK in 2011 in some nondescript livery but easily recognisable as a Trident. And there was a Belfast there as well.

I used to look through the airport windows at Manchester airport as a kid when we were going on holiday and often sighed at the sight of another trident or 1-11, how common they were! Now I reminisce of them and the good old days, funny old chaps aren't we!!!!

Beautiful finish Ian, I've got one on the shelf of doom after some setbacks with the paintwork so perhaps this is the inspiration I need to get it out! You've really brought it to life with those decals and improvements, if you get chance to get a photo with all your red tails together (your 757 was incredible too), I'd be one happy chap :)

Cheers

Neil

Seriously fantastic looking Trident. I love the pictures in an airfield setting, particularly the head-on shot showing its offset nose wheel to advantage. I ever saw one take off and was mightily impressed by the smoke and noise. Almost looks this one is about to do the same.

Jay

Darn, I’ve should have used those engines as well. Simply amazing Ian! One of the best builds of a Trident I’ve seen so far. It will look great next your other Negus aircraft (I’m trying to do the same, just with KLM.). I love the shiny look of the model. What finish did you use? I like to make mine more grittier if they’re older, but some of the newer aircraft (such as the 787) are not so worn yet and will look better with a higher shine.

Edited by Malair

Very nice work, love the windows gives the model great realism.

You can't beat these classic airliners for looks and diversity, they make the modern airliners look so dull with their standard two engines slung under the wings, Boeing/Airbus generic shape type things. :blahblahblah: 

gazza l 

Thanks for all the comments everyone I really appreciate it

On 08/09/2017 at 8:33 PM, bzn20 said:

Spot on Turbo..apart from PIA, Iraqi,Ceylon ,CAAC and Kuwait's Tridents

I had a couple of mates working in the Dunlop place on the South East part of the perimeter road near Hatton X/ BEA/BA hangars/Barclays Bank in the 90's

I don't remember any other airlines flying the Trident they were a bit before my time!

Yep that's the place bzn20, big blue doors and yellow vans and lorries. My Dad was there during the 60's, 70's and 80's but I think he had left by the 90's though. Small world isn't it?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Small world isn't it?

I'll say.. You're about a mile from where my dad was born and grew up. Your dad was working about 400 yards from where my dad was working and 4 miles from where he lives now! I was working 200 yards from your dad.

Can't get much smaller !

On 08/09/2017 at 9:55 PM, Ratrace said:

Stunning job there, hmmm all those old engines produced sounds you could feel. The good old days.

They don't build them like that any more, I know what you mean about sounds you could feel Ratrace, I remember feeling Concorde in my chest!

On 09/09/2017 at 0:15 AM, stringbag said:

Would make a great picture if both you and John got a few models together and replicated Ringway in the early seventies.

Sounds like a great idea, have you got a big enough base board though?! I'd love a 1/144 airport!!

On 09/09/2017 at 2:43 PM, FortyEighter said:

Excellent work, as ever, Ian but I do wish you'd stop building the models in my stash!!

Sorry FortyEighter, I can't help it if we both have great taste!:thumbsup:

On 09/09/2017 at 10:21 PM, woody37 said:

Beautiful finish Ian, I've got one on the shelf of doom after some setbacks with the paintwork so perhaps this is the inspiration I need to get it out! You've really brought it to life with those decals and improvements, if you get chance to get a photo with all your red tails together (your 757 was incredible too), I'd be one happy chap :)

Cheers

Neil

Thanks Neil, I had a few setbacks too as well as changes of livery it certainly wasn't a straightforward build!

Maybe all the Dusty Old Modellers of the Northwest could get together for a group photo shoot. We'd need a very big baseboard to do Ringway though! Maybe Chris could get hold of some big MDF sheets!

19 hours ago, Malair said:

I love the shiny look of the model. What finish did you use? 

Martijn, I've not really given it a gloss coat as such. The white is Halfords Appliance White, no sure if you are familiar with Halfords but the paint is basically car paint in a spray can. I have just polished the blue with micromesh.

You'll have to bring your KLM jets along for some Dutch flavour!

Cheers,

Ian

The Trident failed to find many customers. Apart from BEA, the only airlines that ordered them from new were CAAC (China), PIA (Pakistan) Cyprus Airways, Kuwait Airways and Channel Airways. Channel hardly got to fly them for long before they went out of business at which point their small fleet was sold to BKS - which shortly afterwards rebranded themselves as Northeast. Northeast Tridents were very colourful.

9 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Sounds like a great idea, have you got a big enough base board though?! I'd love a 1/144 airport!!

Cheers,

Ian

I've often thought about building a section of the old domestic pier at Ringway.  Just wish I could get hold of a set of the original Architect's drawings.

Chris.