Krupp Raumer S

37089513085_ca5644743b_b.jpg

This was finished a few weeks ago. Takom's newish release of the Krupp Raumer S (selbstantrieb or self-propelled). An incredibly simple kit with very few parts, but it builds up into a detailed, and huge (18 inches long) model.

There was only a single example of the real one built, which was captured at the end of the war by US troops. One of the kit schemes has hypothetical US markings and I went with that option, but showed it as if it had been used for testing, then abandoned to the elements. I wasn't actually that happy with the results in the end, but it was fun to try out some heavy weathering.

37089510105_d9df15e11f_b.jpg

36919081542_137d1277d2_b.jpg

36901028296_f47c7eeb77_b.jpg

36901025776_8bd70d0caf_b.jpg

36276247823_3dcce64d5f_b.jpg

36254252474_70061b3aee_b.jpg

36276244293_d66b362dd1_b.jpg

36254248274_e46c18abd3_b.jpg

36901017106_ffcb56d068_b.jpg

37089487105_976f5dc0de_b.jpg

Thanks for looking

Andy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Awesome beast!!, as usual a superb job, the only thing that could be timely, is some figure or drums for example, to give a sample of how big the vehicle really is.

By ther way, I have seen (several times in time ...) your RIP of the wonderful Akatsiya, and I would like to know, if you are so kind, which camera you use for the photos, and especially the objective.

I use a Nikon D300, with a lens of 18-50.

I have a kit of photography almost the same as yours (the bulbs are a little more powerful, nothing more), and I can not take the photos of the model with all the parts focused, that is, if it is from front to back, or is focused the anterior part, or the posterior part.

Maybe it's because of the objective that is not the right one? ...

Cheers Andy :yes:

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments everyone

3 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

By ther way, I have seen (several times in time ...) your RIP of the wonderful Akatsiya, and I would like to know, if you are so kind, which camera you use for the photos, and especially the objective.

I use a Nikon D300, with a lens of 18-50.

I have a kit of photography almost the same as yours (the bulbs are a little more powerful, nothing more), and I can not take the photos of the model with all the parts focused, that is, if it is from front to back, or is focused the anterior part, or the posterior part.

Maybe it's because of the objective that is not the right one? ...

Cheers Andy :yes:

Thanks Francis

I use a Canon EOS650 and a Sigma 17-70 lens, basically the same as your gear.

Getting everything in focus can be hard, especially as I like to shoot from close up to make the model look bigger. I usually have to shoot with an F stop of between 20 and 22, and I try to focus about 1/3 of the way along the model, rather than at the closest point. The focus point in the below shots was on the headlight.

ISO 100, 19mm on the lens, 1/2 second exposure, F22  Pretty sharp front to back

36937507482_2ff87135ac_b.jpg

ISO 100, 19mm on the lens, 1/13 second exposure, F9   Some blurring towards the back

36295241383_6833d68a68_b.jpg

ISO 100, 19mm on the lens, 1/40 second exposure, F5   Heavy blurring front and back

36272529624_6b3c06fd17_b.jpg

I prefer to shoot from close up to give the model a more dynamic look, but if you shoot from further back, it's easier to get the whole model in focus

36295238373_7c608e8de1_b.jpg

Obviously, with these exposure times, I have to use a tripod, and I always try to shoot on the same level as the model, rather than from above, as it better matches the way you'd see the real thing.

Hope some of that helps

Andy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Andy, I suspect that you may be self-critical, and I know what that's like.

If you meant that you were not happy with the style, I think that you got it right; if the techniques left you dissatisfied, well, I think that you got those right as well.

As far as I can see, there is almost nothing which I would want to do better with this one and even less that I ever could. I can only say that, for me, the foliage between the treads looks far too verdant. But that's all.

(Brilliant avatar image, by the way!)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ade H said:

Andy, I suspect that you may be self-critical, and I know what that's like.

If you meant that you were not happy with the style, I think that you got it right; if the techniques left you dissatisfied, well, I think that you got those right as well.

As far as I can see, there is almost nothing which I would want to do better with this one and even less that I ever could. I can only say that, for me, the foliage between the treads looks far too verdant. But that's all.

Thanks Ade,

Yes, I do find it hard to view my builds objectively. I tend to be quite critical of the results.

You mentioned the overly verdant moss in the treads, and I completely agree with you. That was a by-product of reason I wasn't entirely happy with the results. I'd originally intended to go with a 'dry' look, just chipped paint and rust, but halfway through the weathering process I started adding more 'wet' areas (moss and algae in the nooks and crannies, slimy streaks, the grass on the top etc.), and I tend to find that changing the direction half way through the process compromises the results.

Also, as Francis mentioned above, it needed some 'set dressing' to finish it off. I did make a base for it, but it was rather uninspiring. I'd intended to add some assorted junk to the base, but the build was done for a review, and I ran out of time to take it any further

36281686344_567ab90a3b_b.jpg

I might re-work it in the future, but then again I might not, as I'm not keen on going back to old builds once they're finished, even when I'm not happy with the look of them

Andy

• Like 2

Yes, I know what you mean about the risk of changing direction. I don't think that it's at all easy to formulate a clear and complete plan. I like your rationale for adding foliage in general because I think that it increases the contrast.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...