1/100 Kotobukiya Metal Gear Rex (Battle Damaged)

Hi all its been a while but i have been busy, this is a follow up to a build i did last year and with fractionally less than the previous 600 parts was still quite a challenge. I did have the original to copy from this time which made the masking a little easier. 
Before you ask it is a Mecha model from a PC game called Metal Gear Solid 4, i am no gamer so its a bit out of my wheelhouse. In the game it has been left alone unused in the Arctic for years so it needed to be a little more weathered. The guy i built them both for supplied me digital renderings from the game so i could use those as a guide. 

These kits are so cleverly designed and you could snap fit the lot if you wanted the sheer engineering thought involved is mind boggling, needless to say it goes together without issue. The main difference with this kit to the first one is it comes with additional parts to replicate the internal structure once the armour has been blown off, needed a little more work than that. happy.gif

The sub assemblies are all sprayed up using a darker base coat and a lighter filter coat. 
lPAdZhRl.jpg 
40UYdKSl.jpg 
Ready for masking. 
UDWOnLHl.jpg 
Next the fiddly bit and that is the masking for the camouflage, the book has a colour guide but i need to change a couple of bits as per the digital rendering. 
DpvWvaEl.jpg 
f6jFJrUl.jpg 
Ready for weathering. 
ZUzEeq0l.jpg 
jAsaMEml.jpg 
The next step was to replicate the battle damage/blast marks, i had a play with a soldering iron on a bit of spare plastic, the idea was to try and create the coarse surface texture as in the images supplied from the game. 
OUuvz8Vl.jpg 
With that dome i added matt black then hull red over top then finished with silver dry brushing. 
vnYVMcTl.jpg 
Tv6iRUil.jpg 
35A9609l.jpg 
Last of all was the various washes and to add a bit more rust i used the orange rust from my Tamiya dry weathering set. 
Lbytb0ll.jpg 
i6S1OEil.jpg 
Pv8X9Sjl.jpg 

Regards.

Danny.
  • Like 2