Curtiss Hawk P-36 H 75 P-40 STGB Chat

TEMPESTMK5

Well, I was out taking care of some necessary things, and swung by Hobby Lobby, coupon in hand, with the intention of getting a second Airfix 1/48 Tomahawk.  The "pre 40% off coupon" price was $29.99 (or something like that).  The 1/72 kit was $9.99.  I don't know if money talks, but for some odd reason it seemed like a good idea to get the wee one instead, even though I'm really trying to avoid getting sucked into 72nd on top of 48th and 32nd.  With, ahem, some exceptions, of course.  Anyroad, I blame you small-scale Tomahawk builders... you know who you are.

Yes, a second entry to the Group Build will happen (already working on a 48th Hasegawa E).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Mojos taken a sledgehammer, was going to buy the nice special hobby kit, but now not so happy splashing out, whats the heller p-40E kit like?  Also can the hasegawa P-40N be built as other vsriants?

Good morning PBS

The Heller P40E is an old kit if I were in your place I would rather buy the Academy one .. I don't know the Hasegawa P40N ...

All the best

Patrice

My guess, possibly including distant memories, is that the Hase (72nd?  but same answer for 48th) N doesn't give the "behind the cockpit" or glass for the earlier style.  It also would likely be a dedicated long-tail, though I suppose that could be altered.  But Ns are cool too, so...

3 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning PBS

The Heller P40E is an old kit if I were in your place I would rather buy the Academy one .. I don't know the Hasegawa P40N ...

All the best

Patrice

Academys awful canopy and iffy spinner has put me off that kit for life built one and that’s enough 

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

My guess, possibly including distant memories, is that the Hase (72nd?  but same answer for 48th) N doesn't give the "behind the cockpit" or glass for the earlier style.  It also would likely be a dedicated long-tail, though I suppose that could be altered.  But Ns are cool too, so...

So Hasegawa marketing it as an E in some boxing is incorrect? (72 scale)

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Good morning,

As my build for the Frog Squad GB draws to a close I need something else to participate in. I have an AML Hawk 75 Mohawk IV (which i understand is a bit of a pig) sitting in the stash and a new set of American equivalent RAF Temperate land scheme colourcoats, so I would like to join in please if I am eligible?

Cheers

Ash

1 hour ago, Doccur said:

Good morning,

As my build for the Frog Squad GB draws to a close I need something else to participate in. I have an AML Hawk 75 Mohawk IV (which i understand is a bit of a pig) sitting in the stash and a new set of American equivalent RAF Temperate land scheme colourcoats, so I would like to join in please if I am eligible?

Cheers

Ash

Good afternoon Ash

Of course you can join in and enjoy your build I will follow it as I have one AML H75 in my stash ..

All the best

Patrice

• Thanks 1

Very odd request here but do any of our Hawk fans here have 1/72 decals for p-40 FX835? I aquired a load of codes and serials for that particular example, but it has a nose art that I’m lacking and would like a scan of so I can print my own to use, the top ac in this pic 1102900-22360-27-720.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu

4 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Very odd request here but do any of our Hawk fans here have 1/72 decals for p-40 FX835? I aquired a load of codes and serials for that particular example, but it has a nose art that I’m lacking and would like a scan of so I can print my own to use 

Good afternoon PBS

I think it would help us if you had a picture of this particular aircraft  ...

All the best

Patrice

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

As I have now been warned as to the quality of the Decals supplied with my kit (1/72 AML Hawk 75 / Mohawk IV), does anybody know of any retailer that supplies any aftermarket decals for this aircraft please? I am looking to do an RAF machine. 

Cheers,

Ash

Edit: never mind I have found some on Hannants’ website!

Edited by Doccur

• 1 month later...

Good morning everybody

There are only a few hours before the end of this GB so hurry up if you want to put pictures of your finished model in the Gallery ..

As far as I'm concerned I'm a little late but I'm going to do my best to finish my Airfix kit

All the best

Patrice

• Like 1

Good morning everybody

Well this GB is finished , there are many very good builds as varied as the markings displayed by the P 40 during its career , I hope you also had a good time ..

If you could not finish your build in time to post pictures in the gallery you can go on and  finish it ..

All the best

Patrice

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning everybody

Well this GB is finished , there are many very good builds as varied as the markings displayed by the P 40 during its career , I hope you also had a good time ..

If you could not finish your build in time to post pictures in the gallery you can go on and  finish it ..

All the best

Patrice

Hi Patrice,

thanks for proposing and hosting the GB. I certainly enjoyed it.

Cheers Greg 🍺

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...