Tornado Undercarriage Bays by Aries 1/48

Andy341

Hi, I have delved into my stash of models and pulled out a Revell Tornado GR4 which I bought some time ago.  I have the Aries resin wheel bays for this kit and they are certainly an improvement on the kit ones.  However the issue I have is that I cannot seem to get them to fit.  The instructions are basic and indicate that nothing needs removing.

Has anyone else encountered this?  Failing a solution for using the Aries resin I have the Eduard etched brass set for the kit but I would rather use the former.

Kind regards 

Andy

First hand experience here using the CMK wheel bay set - which compared side by side with Aires pieces seems to be identical - there was someone asleep at the switch making the masters.  HUGE huge gap on the top of the bay between the resin and the kit fuselage that does not flow/follow the kits side, the only way to fix is scratch your own 'plug' in that gap area which considering the large amount of tiny perpendicular ribs is most daunting.  CMK simply did not even look at the kit parts when making their master, they are now on my permanent poo-poo list.  Now the nose wheel fits fine, and looks great but not worth price of admission.  The resin bay doors are sorta better detailed than the kit parts and are useable although note the door retraction locater is not in the same spot as the kit pieces spot.  the Eduard set to me looked like a whole bunch of trouble.   Now that my tonka is finished (Thank the Lord, never never again anything by Revell Germany) there is not a lot of the main bays to be seen, I went back to the kit parts ditching CMKs main bays after much gnashing of teeth.  Good luck in your efforts.

Metroman, thanks for your reply.  I think I will abandon using the Aries parts and chance my arm using the kit parts.  I will defer judgement on using Eduard's etched parts.  Like you say there is little to see when completed.

Andy