Revell L-1011 Tristar Court Line G-BAAA 'halcyon days'

phil1

Just a couple of points to add to what Alex has said,

The Court Line Tristars definitely had the upper wings and tailplane top surfaces painted white - I got that from a guy who worked at Luton in the early 1970s.

I've built Halcyon Breeze twice, once using the Welsh Models vacform and more recently a replacement (it's a long story) using the Eastern Express kit. You should note that 26 Decals sheets 44279 and 44280 are designed for the Eastern Express kit which they fit very well.  However you may have difficulty getting them to fit the Airfix kit.   I don't want to put you off but the decals are complex and designed for a specific kit.  Trying to fit them to anything else won't be easy. My advice would be to buy the Delta boxing of Eastern Express kit - which has the correct engines and is a lot more accurate than the Airfix one anyway - but if you're determined to stick with Airfix you should photocopy the decals and use the copies as templates to see how things will fit before you start the actual decalling.

I know you're planning to do Halcyon Days but if it's of any interest I painted Halcyon Breeze with Tamiya TS-25 for the light pink and a custom-mixed aerosol (RAL 3017) for the darker salmon pink.  I don't want to hijack Phil's thread but here's how Breeze Mk2 turned out and you can see how the decals came up on the Eastern Express kit:

40634264721_73143d6919_c.jpg

Lastly, the subject of open windows versus window decals is a matter of debate and, ultimately, personal preference.  Personally I'm a dedicated decal user and my own approach would be to fill the windows and use a set of "photo real" cockpit and cabin windows from Authentic Airliners as I did on Breeze Mk2.

HTH

Dave G

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

The Court Line Tristars definitely had the upper wings and tailplane top surfaces painted white - I got that from a guy who worked at Luton in the early 1970s.

I've built Halcyon Breeze twice, once using the Welsh Models vacform and more recently a replacement (it's a long story) using the Eastern Express kit. You should note that 26 Decals sheets 44279 and 44280 are designed for the Eastern Express kit which they fit very well.  However you may have difficulty getting them to fit the Airfix kit.   I don't want to put you off but the decals are complex and designed for a specific kit.  Trying to fit them to anything else won't be easy. My advice would be to buy the Delta boxing of Eastern Express kit - which has the correct engines and is a lot more accurate than the Airfix one anyway - but if you're determined to stick with Airfix you should photocopy the decals and use the copies as templates to see how things will fit before you start the actual decalling.

I know you're planning to do Halcyon Days but if it's of any interest I painted Halcyon Breeze with Tamiya TS-25 for the light pink and a custom-mixed aerosol (RAL 3017) for the darker salmon pink.  I don't want to hijack Phil's thread but here's how Breeze Mk2 turned out and you can see how the decals came up on the Eastern Express kit:

Lastly, the subject of open windows versus window decals is a matter of debate and, ultimately, personal preference.  Personally I'm a dedicated decal user and my own approach would be to fill the windows and use a set of "photo real" cockpit and cabin windows from Authentic Airliners as I did on Breeze Mk2.

HTH

Dave G

That looks fabulous! If mine turns out half as well I'll be very pleased. I wasn't aware of the Eastern kit - turns out it's considerably less expensive than most Airfix available, at least here in Australia once shipping is factored in (though I have the Airfix already). I'm also coming to the realisation of how flawed the Airfix model is (something that passed me by as a 10yo). I may take your advice and go for the Eastern kit instead. Since it doesn't have window apertures, that would settle that question really - and the decals you've used look brilliant. While I'm still planning on doing Halcyon Days, yours is very inspiring. May end up doing both - in fact a diorama of Luton '73 floated into my mind... not sure how kindly the wife will take to that idea! How did you settle on the TS-25/RAL 3017 though, just eyeballing from photos?

Edited by Graham In Oz
  • Like 2

One very small thing to point out since I'm researching this livery and the Tristar generally, is that there is a 6th flap fairing/rail right next to the fuselage, painted white. Not a criticism, just a small detail that seems to have been missed. It's visible in these photos:

1193562362.jpg8404310779_77a0c465c0_b.jpg

• Like 1

I somehow missed this when originally posted. As an ex-Courtline employee who worked on these things its great to see them being so faithfully re-created.

The Courtline schemes were quite an eyefull when introduced on the 1-11, but a hangar full of Flyfar at night was verging on sensory overload! The paint used was polyurethane,

which is old hat now but quite hi-tech then, and it had a very high gloss and did not weather as quickly as the older 'coach paints'.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Graham In Oz said:

One very small thing to point out since I'm researching this livery and the Tristar generally, is that there is a 6th flap fairing/rail right next to the fuselage, painted white. Not a criticism, just a small detail that seems to have been missed. It's visible in these photos:

I actually knew that and I was sure I'd painted Halcyon Breeze correctly but I obviously haven't.  How very peculiar!  :hmmm: 

Thanks for picking it up.  I'll correct the model the next time I'm using white paint.

Aaah, memories. I flew this a/c for a few minutes. I was working on the simulator for Court Line and there were a few problems with the autopilot in the simulator so on a training flight I was allowed a short time at the controls to try to understand what the problems were. As it was late evening with an overcast sky you couldn't see much outside so it felt just like the simulator. Some of my workmates were also on board and were exceedingly jealous.

That's a really nice model - well done

John

• Like 1

On 3/6/2018 at 1:37 AM, Graham In Oz said:

1193562362.jpg8404310779_77a0c465c0_b.jpg

i always though that this was part of the fuselage!! how daft i feel now that you have drawn attention to it. i think with a better quality kit it would be more obvious

On 3/6/2018 at 12:19 AM, Graham In Oz said:

That looks fabulous! If mine turns out half as well I'll be very pleased. I wasn't aware of the Eastern kit - turns out it's considerably less expensive than most Airfix available, at least here in Australia once shipping is factored in (though I have the Airfix already). I'm also coming to the realisation of how flawed the Airfix model is (something that passed me by as a 10yo). I may take your advice and go for the Eastern kit instead. Since it doesn't have window apertures, that would settle that question really - and the decals you've used look brilliant. While I'm still planning on doing Halcyon Days, yours is very inspiring. May end up doing both - in fact a diorama of Luton '73 floated into my mind... not sure how kindly the wife will take to that idea! How did you settle on the TS-25/RAL 3017 though, just eyeballing from photos?

sorry graham its the first time i've logged in for sometime. the guys have covered mostly everything. I definitely try the 3-d windows from authentic airliners, I'm so impressed with them i've started to apply them to some of my older models.

I had to go through hundreds of reference photos before deciding on the colours for 'days'..... I use only enamel paints, mostly revell and humbrol. The main yellow fuselage colour was 50% humbrol 69 gloss yellow and 50% revell 4 gloss white. That was likely too pale but very hard to tell.

I really really recommend NOT using the giant decals for the mid-orange section......the 26 decals look presentable but I assure you they are 100% likely to break apart during application and you'll be forced into doing an ugly patch job. instead your better of painting this large area a combination of 25% 18 revell orange gloss and 75% 69 humbrol yellow gloss. The white lines could be created with sections of lined decal or hand painted. I actually masked leaving a 2-3mm gap and sprayed it white (painstaking!). the lower area was painted with a toned down 18 revell orange gloss (just added some gloss white) 

I believe the upper wing sections ARE white although theres no reference shot that exists of the top of the tristars wings, but as the lads have said the BAC 1-11s that were painted the same yellow/orange did have white upper wings and there are photos to back that up. 

here's a photo from the production line but before the wings have been painted but the stab in the right hand bottom corner is definitely white. when days was rolled out the area surrounding the wing was still bare aluminum and I believe this area and the wings were painted at a slightly later stage 

also - make sure you get the court line decal logo the right way around on the tail - i failed too!

maxresdefault.jpg

On 3/5/2018 at 2:16 PM, Skodadriver said:

HTH

Dave G

dave i have to say that is superb. you can also notice a huge difference in the quality of the kit but you have preserved it with the quality of your paintjob

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phil1 said:

sorry graham its the first time i've logged in for sometime. the guys have covered mostly everything. I definitely try the 3-d windows from authentic airliners, I'm so impressed with them i've started to apply them to some of my older models.

I had to go through hundreds of reference photos before deciding on the colours for 'days'..... I use only enamel paints, mostly revell and humbrol. The main yellow fuselage colour was 50% humbrol 69 gloss yellow and 50% revell 4 gloss white. That was likely too pale but very hard to tell.

I really really recommend NOT using the giant decals for the mid-orange section......the 26 decals look presentable but I assure you they are 100% likely to break apart during application and you'll be forced into doing an ugly patch job. instead your better of painting this large area a combination of 25% 18 revell orange gloss and 75% 69 humbrol yellow gloss. The white lines could be created with sections of lined decal or hand painted. I actually masked leaving a 2-3mm gap and sprayed it white (painstaking!). the lower area was painted with a toned down 18 revell orange gloss (just added some gloss white) 

I believe the upper wing sections ARE white although theres no reference shot that exists of the top of the tristars wings, but as the lads have said the BAC 1-11s that were painted the same yellow/orange did have white upper wings and there are photos to back that up. 

here's a photo from the production line but before the wings have been painted but the stab in the right hand bottom corner is definitely white. when days was rolled out the area surrounding the wing was still bare aluminum and I believe this area and the wings were painted at a slightly later stage 

also - make sure you get the court line decal logo the right way around on the tail - i failed too!

maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks Phil, appreciate your comments. I must admit this is a big learning curve - I've been spending the last few evenings avidly bringing myself up to speed on all the latest techniques and products for modelling. It's very likely not much is all that new, but it's new to me - goodness! I wonder how we even managed in the 70s without the internet. Anyway, I want to do the very best I possibly can, so I've ordered the Eastern kit as a basis and will leave the Airfix one for now. I've also ordered the window decals as Dave suggested and also a photo etch sheet for some additional details - in particular the engine fans which in the Airfix's case are rudimentary to say the least. The Eastern ones may be better, but I haven't got them yet. I was originally going to do it wheels up, but I think I've changed my mind as the photo etch sheet has some undercarriage details and it would be a shame to waste them. I'm also toying with the idea of cutting out the flaps and doing it in landing config... That might be a bit ambitious for first a build after so long though. It'll probably be a month or two before I can get started properly, and when I do I'll start a WIP thread - I have a feeling I'm going to be needing a fair bit of advice. Also - getting well ahead of myself here - is there any kit to build 1/144 BAC 1-11 500s? The old Airfix one is the -100 I believe, maybe it can be stretched using a second kit...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Graham In Oz said:

Thanks Phil, appreciate your comments. I must admit this is a big learning curve - I've been spending the last few evenings avidly bringing myself up to speed on all the latest techniques and products for modelling. It's very likely not much is all that new, but it's new to me - goodness! I wonder how we even managed in the 70s without the internet. Anyway, I want to do the very best I possibly can, so I've ordered the Eastern kit as a basis and will leave the Airfix one for now. I've also ordered the window decals as Dave suggested and also a photo etch sheet for some additional details - in particular the engine fans which in the Airfix's case are rudimentary to say the least. The Eastern ones may be better, but I haven't got them yet. I was originally going to do it wheels up, but I think I've changed my mind as the photo etch sheet has some undercarriage details and it would be a shame to waste them. I'm also toying with the idea of cutting out the flaps and doing it in landing config... That might be a bit ambitious for first a build after so long though. It'll probably be a month or two before I can get started properly, and when I do I'll start a WIP thread - I have a feeling I'm going to be needing a fair bit of advice. Also - getting well ahead of myself here - is there any kit to build 1/144 BAC 1-11 500s? The old Airfix one is the -100 I believe, maybe it can be stretched using a second kit...

i removed the flaps for my last model, a 767. i had scratch build the leading edge flaps and remodel the trailing edge ones completely. was a lot of work

IMG_20171209_141319578_HDR.jpgIMG_20171225_120027975.jpgIMG_20180123_153013532_HDR.jpgIMG_20180122_222403808.jpg

dissecting the flaps from the wings was the easy bit, the hardest part was remodeling the fairing next to the engine to go down in a 45 degree angle. as you can see I bottled doing the gear down.....just became too much work in the end and i feared I would end up knocking them off anyway along with the gear doors, so this is in a landing fig just seconds prior to gear down! 

3 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

wow - that's is a seriously beautiful 10-11

the pink halycon breeze one is Davy G's tristar - just incase I get the credit for it!

thanks

Phil