Bandai 1/12 Sandtrooper

So being a Star Wars fan and inspired by the many great builds here, I treated myself to this guy earlier this year.

36158698813_f80931c2dd_b.jpg

While it didn't take that long to build, the weathering put me off finishing it. But I decided to just try my best and see how it turned out. First, a coat of Satin to take the gloss shine off the armour (thanks AndyRM101 & Mike)

36967640745_261ed63c73_b.jpg

Next up was a coat of Flory Models Grime wash..

36570865630_99cc37b79b_b.jpg

Then tried some pastels which were a mix of sand, white and brown.

36814204896_93ee6a8c69_b.jpg

And more pastel added to his gear.

36570864850_ee39553859_b.jpg

For the shoulder pauldron, I masked that and repainted it orange. Then a flat coat on that and some white pastel to try and fade it.
And he's done. I still need to improve the base as it looks too plain. I had planned to use the big Lewis Gun blaster but couldn't get a pose I liked with it. So just the standard-issue E11 for this fella!

36132028584_caa98ffb12_b.jpg

36796145702_884468019b_b.jpg

36570598000_8d715f5bc8_b.jpg

36779603756_d9a5930f56_b.jpg 

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Fixing photo links
  • Like 12

6 hours ago, Meteors said:

Great Job! You just need to pop his little headband bit back down!

So you didn't paint the black and white bits, just left them as is OOB?

Thanks Meteors.

The white armour/black bits are totally unpainted. I just used a Satin clear coat to make him less shiny out of the box.

On the headband, that's what I thought until I watched the movie again......this is from when they stop Luke in Mos Eisley..

36831068832_d0ddbf33b7_z.jpg

Edited by Dermo245
Links and stuff not working
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, noelbarnes said:

You have made him suitably grimy. I love the sand trooper and you have captured the look well. Did you use the decal on his shoulder pad or is it paint. I found the decal just didn't want to do as it was told, so ended up painting mine. 

Cheers!
I masked the shoulder pad, primed it in white and then brushpainted orange on it - read too many stories here about that decal not working..

• Like 1

"Look sir, Droid" - Brilliant sandy work there. I have always been a firm believer and user of Flory washes (not that I am by any means an expert) and you have certainly come up with a very convincing sandy trooper there.

excellent work

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

Thanks Meteors.

The white armour/black bits are totally unpainted. I just used a Satin clear coat to make him less shiny out of the box.

On the headband, that's what I thought until I watched the movie again......this is from when they stop Luke in Mos Eisley..

36831068832_d0ddbf33b7_z.jpg

Well I'll be, there you go!

I've got one of these guys and every day I procrastinate about repainting the white bits, or just giving them a coat of matt varnish. Yours has come up very nicely. Maybe I'll do one arm of each and see the results. 

• Like 1