Any air racer models available?

Ade H

31 minutes ago, Ham said:

My personal favorite is "Beguine" (...) It crashed in the Thompson Trophy race killing the pilot, Bill Odom and a mother and child in a house were also killed.  That pretty ended air races in the USA until Reno years later.

15 years later, in fact. And they've been going ever since B)

I thought I'd seen a Beguine kit but I must have confused it with the Hasegawa ramjet Mustang. All that's on Scalemates for her is a Red Pegasus sheet. But I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to do.

Edited by k5054nz

I also have this one in my collection, even though I don't build 1/48.  It's just too nice not to have.   Limited edition Hasegawa P-39Q 1946 Thompson Trophy race winner Cobra II

http://www.hasegawausa.com/product-pages/hsgs9974.html

You might be able to find this gem on the secondary market.   I found mine on evilBay

• 5 weeks later...

The IPMS Air Race is still in existance. Bent Throttles came from there, although I must say the IPMS has become very quiet in the last year:

http://www.ipmsairrace.org/

I once build Begunie from a Tamiya kit with conversion set here on BM. But thanks to PB the build seems to be gone. I also posted the build on the IPMS site - but will have to repair the PB links there as well (shift them to Flickr that is):

http://www.ipmsairrace.org/index.php/forum/4-build-reports/75-beguine-p-51-1-48-icm-xs-models-red-pegasus

Keith from Red Pegasus (air racer decals and some conversions) passed away this year and his site is down by now - No idea what happened with his artworks and such :-(

Many 1:48 air racer kits are out of production but can be found with patience:

JMGT from France does some nice resin kits of French racers.

Pegaso did a simple DGA-3 Pete

Testors did the DGA-4 Mike and DGA 6 Mister Mulligan as well as the Laird Solution, Mystery Ship (cockpit set available from Lone Star Models) and S-6B. All of these need some work.

Karaya did the Crusader - there is a build report here.

Planet Models does the Bugatti 100, Hughes H-1 and others

Wiener Modellbau does an expensive but very good Golden Arrow

ECM Phoenix did the Caudron C561 - avoid it!!! Better get the JMGT one. Or buy mine :-)

XS Modell seems to be closed for many years - they had kits and conversion sets

High Planes does some air racers in 1:72 and 1:48

Minicraft did the Seversky P-35 in a racer boxing.

In 1:32 there is Williams Brothers and others - usually quite expensive kits like Fischer Models Bugatti 100 or Aerotech kits (check for March Models).

René

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

If you are ok with float planes then the Schneider Trophy aircraft are fairly easy to find. 

I am currently making the AMP Spitfire S5 in 1/72 which is not bad for a short run kit (but also not great).

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/amp-72009-supermarine-s-5--1271064

SBS do a load in (exquisite) resin and although they are pricey, they really are excellent. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/sbs-model-sbs7032-macchi-m39--1411933

It looks like Civilized Models has stopped trading. No website and elsewhere it was been reported that the phone has been disconnected and at least one order not honoured.

Its a pity, interesting models but I also had a very negative experience with them. More reliable to buy them second hand !

Paul

• 2 months later...

I got screwed by Civilized Models too. I pre-ordered the Gee Bee Z from Gary at Civilized Models, December 2018. Nothing happened, until I saw the same model issued by Dekno, mid 2019. Dekno told me that they had sold the 3D master of the Gee Bee Model Z to Civilized Models, but they never received the payment, so issued it themselves. I contacted Civilized Models, and was promised two Formula One racers as compensation. I'm still waiting for them, as you will understand. Bad trader for sure.

Rob

13 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

I got screwed by Civilized Models too. I pre-ordered the Gee Bee Z from Gary at Civilized Models, December 2018. Nothing happened, until I saw the same model issued by Dekno, mid 2019. Dekno told me that they had sold the 3D master of the Gee Bee Model Z to Civilized Models, but they never received the payment, so issued it themselves. I contacted Civilized Models, and was promised two Formula One racers as compensation. I'm still waiting for them, as you will understand. Bad trader for sure.

Rob

i honestly must be one of the lucky one as i got the 5 models i ordered.......but i do hear it alot.

HPM on the other hand are stand up guys...Civilized could have been a great company with some great products...but they really didn't do a very good job.

on the other hand my civilized RB51

52997487940_06a9046c9e_k.jpg353652964_2093336844195010_3406016115464685562_n by paul sabin, on Flickr

• Like 1

23 hours ago, oz rb fan said:

i honestly must be one of the lucky one as i got the 5 models i ordered.......but i do hear it alot.

HPM on the other hand are stand up guys...Civilized could have been a great company with some great products...but they really didn't do a very good job.

on the other hand my civilized RB51

Great Mustang! High Planes I presume? I have their 'American Jet' Bearcat, but that one has been asleep for more than 20 years I guess - too many projects..

Which Civilized Models did you manage to get? I still don't have a feeling for their quality and detail. And after buying Robert Hirsch's 'Goodyear & Formula One air racing 1947-1967 - Volume 1' I got only more enthousiastic about those tiny F1 racers 🙂

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie

On 7/20/2023 at 10:59 PM, Rob de Bie said:

Great Mustang! High Planes I presume? I have their 'American Jet' Bearcat, but that one has been asleep for more than 20 years I guess - too many projects..

Which Civilized Models did you manage to get? I still don't have a feeling for their quality and detail. And after buying Robert Hirsch's 'Goodyear & Formula One air racing 1947-1967 - Volume 1' I got only more enthousiastic about those tiny F1 racers 🙂

Rob

the RB 51i put up is the Civilized one i have also done the Highplanes one ...it's not as nice but still looks great.

the Civilized kits i did get are Miss Foxy lady (the black version), something else, the Super Corsair and the RB 51 all in 1/72.......and the Bud Light BD5J in 1/32

i'm currently building the highplanes seafury Critical Mass.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oz rb fan said:

the RB 51i put up is the Civilized one i have also done the Highplanes one ...it's not as nice but still looks great.

the Civilized kits i did get are Miss Foxy lady (the black version), something else, the Super Corsair and the RB 51 all in 1/72.......and the Bud Light BD5J in 1/32

Nice score! I doubted for a long time whether to order the 1/32 BD-5, since I enjoyed the LS 1/72 version so much.

n3038v-06.jpg

Rob

• Like 1