Bader's steed - Airfix 1/48 Spitfire mk.Va

Sir T

Hi All,

I just thougt I'd share my most recent build with you all.

This is Airfix's old (ish) tooling of Wing Commander Douglas Bader's Supermarine Spitfire mk.Va. It was one of their special charity boxings. It was a pretty fun build, although not the most accurate of Spitfire kits - it's certainly has some shape issues around the cockpit! Although the wings on look good. I'd build another of these old kits - but I'd have to fix that windscreen.

It was (badly) painted with a paintbrush and Humbrol Acrylics and Humbrol Spray clears. I think is will be the last time I use Humbrol's acrylic paints for anything other than detail painting.

Overall I'm reasonably happy with it - It's only my 2nd finished 1/48 kit in the last 10 years.

img_1881.jpg?w=736

img_1874.jpg?w=736

Thanks for Looking!

Stuart

• Like 13

1 hour ago, SimonT said:

Yep, looks good to me too. Have one in the stash, it may have moved a little higher up on the pile now.

Thanks Simon,

I'm sure you'll enjoy it - It's a fun kit. The only issue to my eye is the profile of the windscreen and canopy. 

1 hour ago, Sir T said:

The only issue to my eye is the profile of the windscreen and canopy. 

FWIW

this kit was based on the OLD tool Airfix Vb kit.    

the major shape issue is a too high thrust line

there used to be some very helpful pictures here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/59537-the-definitive-spitfire-mk1-thread/&

not very helpful minus John Adams photos,  but the top of the cowling is too high, and this makes the spinners too big.  

It's an easy fix,  sand down the top front by just under 1mm, tapering to the back of the cowling, (a long thin triangle)  using a correctly sized spinner as a guide (the new tool Airfix Mk.I has 3 different props so plenty of spares about)

here's a mk.II with the same Rotol prop as the model,  if you look at the kit and this it should explain  what I mean

spit2-6.jpg

the other problem is just an overall lack of finesse,  really thick trailing edges on wings, rudder and elevators (the rudder and elevators can be replaced by the optional parts in all Eduard or ICM kits for a easy fix)

the wing needs some work, and the separate flaps don't help (not dropped on ground except for maintenance)

An hour or two (chunky plastic too so does require some elbow grease) spent refining the kit  and it can be made into a really good model.

But, if you don't have one stashed, or don't fancy the toil, just get one of the new tool Airfix Mk.I's,  though these have very fine tolerances (I see a fair amount of modeller induced error on these mentioned if you don't pay attention to mould lines and sprue nibs early on gaps appear later), and a bad design of attaching the UC legs

Stuart, the above is not intended in any way as a critique,  just some information about the kits flaws and some fixes for others looking on

8 hours ago, Sir T said:

It was (badly) painted with a paintbrush and Humbrol Acrylics and Humbrol Spray clears. I think is will be the last time I use Humbrol's acrylic paints for anything other than detail painting.

Overall I'm reasonably happy with it - It's only my 2nd finished 1/48 kit in the last 10 years.

the model has come out really well, and it's finished!  

Humbrol acrylics need to be thinned with a little water and have some flow improver adding, but the little pots often come out a bit gritty.

for some great use of brushed acrylics look up build by @PlaStix  and his techniques, flat brushes help.

see here for some more info on brusing and a link to plastic method as well.

HTH

T

Edited by Troy Smith
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

FWIW

this kit was based on the OLD tool Airfix Vb kit.    

the major shape issue is a too high thrust line

there used to be some very helpful pictures here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/59537-the-definitive-spitfire-mk1-thread/&

not very helpful minus John Adams photos,  but the top of the cowling is too high, and this makes the spinners too big.  

It's an easy fix,  sand down the top front by just under 1mm, tapering to the back of the cowling, (a long thin triangle)  using a correctly sized spinner as a guide (the new tool Airfix Mk.I has 3 different props so plenty of spares about)

here's a mk.II with the same Rotol prop as the model,  if you look at the kit and this it should explain  what I mean

spit2-6.jpg

the other problem is just an overall lack of finesse,  really thick trailing edges on wings, rudder and elevators (the rudder and elevators can be replaced by the optional parts in all Eduard or ICM kits for a easy fix)

the wing needs some work, and the separate flaps don't help (not dropped on ground except for maintenance)

An hour or two (chunky plastic too so does require some elbow grease) spent refining the kit  and it can be made into a really good model.

But, if you don't have one stashed, or don't fancy the toil, just get one of the new tool Airfix Mk.I's,  though these have very fine tolerances (I see a fair amount of modeller induced error on these mentioned if you don't pay attention to mould lines and sprue nibs early on gaps appear later), and a bad design of attaching the UC legs

Stuart, the above is not intended in any way as a critique,  just some information about the kits flaws and some fixes for others looking on

the model has come out really well, and it's finished!  

Humbrol acrylics need to be thinned with a little water and have some flow improver adding, but the little pots often come out a bit gritty.

for some great use of brushed acrylics look up build by @PlaStix  and his techniques, flat brushes help.

see here for some more info on brusing and a link to plastic method as well.

HTH

T

Thanks Troy,

That's some great information, and now looking at the model I can see exactly what you mean about the cowling and spinner - but like you said, it shouldn't be a hard fix. I was thinking of getting their old Seafire kit (which I think is based on the same moulds) and this'll really help. I do however, have the new tool Vb kit in the stash - which I agree is much more refined.

Thanks for the link to the painting thread as well - I'll have a read.

Cheers!

Stuart

• Like 1