- SUKHOI Su 30MKM - 1/48

IPMS19

- Now the end result for this part .

CvGbFT.jpg

Qxbmw5.jpg

K36wAt.jpg

- As can be seen I'm rather satisfied with the result, the few remaining bugs are peanuts, now let's go for the other side....

- The masking tape is here to protect the engraved grill to prevent any damages ....

• Like 7

10 hours ago, exdraken said:

That looks rather great now!

Congrats!!!

- Danke sehr Werner, 

- If things goes the same way for the left side for sure it will not be a piece of cake but for the less  a white bred slice........

- At first sight, things doesn't look so easy, the shape of the  fuselage is not very appropriate to the transkit .I' afraid some plastic constrain shoulb be necessary......

That's what I have after a dry fitting sequence :

yprxc7.jpg

And that 's what I have to approach at the closest

Airliners net photo removed

-In this building I elect to make larger cutting than necessary to allow installingthe resin part more precisely

A slot can be seen at the rear of the apex, when I wrote about plastic constrain it is what really happens, the plastic broke naturally like a structural failure at this place so I cut it more deaply which will facilitate the gluing of the resin part to conform more easily with the  shape of the forward fuselage

AhhlsU.jpg

the underside poses far  less problem

vmOYEB.jpg

• Like 2

- Well, to prevent some kind of SUKHOI burn out, nothing better than riding a goose......

FQwWCZ.jpg

- You feel better...? O.K  Back to the Sukhoi

iAL6YS.jpg

-Filling all those gaps with plastic pieces and  after gluing with cyano , go for putty and after drying the inevitable fastidious sanding

BQsi5r.jpg

- And to see what has been done and the correctif action to be initiated  some surfacer spraying

- My APN behave strangely, ny next pic are from my I Phone - Sorry men

dOPu8e.jpg

BFhD2n.jpg

- The usual small bugs to correct , nothing to care about , do you remember what the nose look like ,during the first dry fitting ?

qmwFQz.jpg

- My gamble of using the unwanted structural failure of the plastic during the first gluing of the resin  has work to the best .......And now...time to relax the toughiest part of the building is done after , now back to a round of the mill building.....more or less

O7U5wq.jpg

• Like 4

- Last sanding to check the corrective action to be taken before jumping to another step

tDhFbB.jpg

GPCDTl.jpg

tcseoi.jpg

- It is a relief to see the general aspect of the transformation, apart a fex more sanding I'm rather happy with the overall result

• Like 2

On ‎24‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:40 AM, IPMS19 said:

- You are right Romain, just have a look.....

Io0ZRO.jpg

y006ds.jpg

4HlBQz.jpg

agYb0q.jpg

Hello,

I stick a like for support, Lots of sanding ahead !

You're the kind of modeller I really appreciate ! Good job !

Congratulations !

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, exdraken said:

Great work!

Turns out to be feasable this conversion!!

- It fare better than I was expecting at first.It still remain a few challenges, building vectoring exhaust, moving the IRST from the center of the windscreen to the right side, and the most difficult is the building from scratch the strangely shaped conter measure radomes under the nose and on the back spine 

-Working on clear parts has always been a problem for me with very often results not exactly what I had expected for......the challenge is to remove the molding joiun right on the middle of the windscreen and suppress the IST and later move ut to the right side.

kxaJ3P.jpg

Gritting tne joint caustiously with a new cutter blade has been easier than I thought at first 

t8SdWf.jpg

cutting the IRST head as well, then another sanding party was applied to remove the remaining part on the windscreen; I've been rather satisfied of the result but at this right moment an unwanted guest invited itself to the party........

Zi3tLR.jpg

-The kit windscreen doesn't fit on the transkit......The obvious solution bieng vacu forming a new one, so : resin master and so on..... SEE YOU LATER CHAPS......

- Well,  I'm back, after  a ride on my favourite geese, I decide to kick my bottom , as giving up is not really in my mind ,so back to the work bench.

-Building a resin or some like material  master of the right shape  and heat forming the part was too much complicated for me so I went to a clear plastic sheet conviniently shaped and inserted in the slot aroung the windscreen resin sill ; the shape obtained may not be excactly  the right one but I think I can live with

j54vG3.jpg

WZwVr6.jpg

Before fixing it, it is necessary to install the instrument forward coaming and head up display a very thin resin part inclued in the Sol Transkit MM-64 digged out of my stash and  almost forgotten  I bought it at the end of the last century.......That doesn't make us younger........

aDqHiS.jpg

PKGNwD.jpg

FtIXFE.jpg

P0f4VE.jpg

nTkk24.jpg

WPnAx5.jpg

- Well, the white scealling germetika is may be a bit oversized but it can be reasily removed if ever as it is an adhesiv tape.

- I didn't expect this drawback to be resolved so easily, now it's a go for the next challenge, the vectoring exhaust......

- Thank you for looking and commenting

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, exdraken said:

that front canopy looks good!!!!

great idea!

wonder if you did not have the resin shape and some clear plastic sheet included in one of your conversions!

- A resin master of the front canopy was inclued in the transkit , I do remember it but I manipulate it many time before deciding to give life to it and the part has been certainly lost during one of these. I don't remember a plastic sheet but it could have been inclued as well.

- I was not happy with the rear angle of the new forward canopy so I built another one which is more satisfying to me 

8gzhRD.jpg

-I use crystal clear as cement to avoid blurring the plastic

• Like 2

Hmmm... :hmmm:If torturing the poor brass geese and mine-sweeping the garden will help me overcome a building burn-out, I should go find some geese and a mine sweeper ASAP! :giggle: 

Hey, Jean-Michel!

Quite an oustanding job you're doing on this build. You're full of surprises, my mate. If you can find Haneto, perhaps he's still got those Fairy-Hobby windshield/canopy correction sets for the Academy kits. They're just awesome.

Hi, Romain! Hi, Werner! Where's Bosse?

Cheers,

Unc2 

• Like 1

Another challenge was the vectoring exhausts. T o cope with this I've used a closed Su 27 HOBBY- BOSS part, cut a slice and adapt the result to Cutting edge Su 27 exhaust can

NIUtSH.jpg

vgm9be.jpg

zjOCoZ.jpg

-The last pic just to show the result, knowing that the exhaust needs another section.......

• Like 1

- Work is to be continued on the exhaust . I've taken Amur River Su 35 exhaust resin kit as a pattern to built  a ressembling Su 30 MKM vectotring can almost from scratch

I9ywiF.jpg

4w2YUs.jpg  

- The other one has to be done with the same process, the difficulty being to make an identical exemplary .Some detailling and finishing work is still to perform before priming and painting. 

o7yJn9.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IPMS19 said:

- Work is to be continued on the exhaust . I've taken Amur River Su 35 exhaust resin kit as a pattern to built  a ressembling Su 30 MKM vectotring can almost from scratch

4w2YUs.jpg  

- The other one has to be done with the same process, the difficulty being to make an identical exemplary .Some detailling and finishing work is still to perform before priming and painting. 

Quite some modelling here!!!

And while you are at it you could also mould them and make resin coppies for the MKI and MKA  and SM you are going to build soon ;)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, exdraken said:

Quite some modelling here!!!

And while you are at it you could also mould them and make resin coppies for the MKI and MKA  and SM you are going to build soon ;)

- It could be a good idea, but I'm not really able to mould my own resin.........

- After nearly getting blinded after looking at MKM SUKHOI photos, again and again, it became evident that installing my makeshift elongated cans gives a far too long rear fuselage exhaust

JqNYE4.jpg-

- So I went to the process of cutting the  kit corresponding rear fuselage section, which incidentaly offers a larger diameter which consequently render the Amur River transkit compatible.

- Good surprise.......

NrL1gk.jpg

NX8Pk3.jpg

- A quite normal adjustment required but nothing to bother about......

• Like 4

I'm glad to see this project, I know the pain!

I've been doing the Su-30MKI Blue 01 that crashed at Paris. I've referred to it as my frankenstein project as like IPMS19 it is 1/48 Academy full of SOL, Aires, Neomega, redesigned cockpit (as it not the same as other Su-30s) etc.

I'm using the Amur River nozzles too, it's possible even though they are much bigger.

• Like 3