IBG SCAMMELL

cossack52

Chassis: yes. Engine: no. It was a 6-cyl Gardner LW, by the way, just in case you want to research it. The chassis obviously left the factory in regulation finish, which altered by date (and the Scammells were produced for long enough to have had a colour change or two). I understand that in-theatre repaints were supposed to cover everything remotely visible, chassis included. Whether they were thorough at all times, I can't say. At which theatre and date are you aiming?

In that case, if you're keen for accuracy (as I am), take care with your paint matches for SCC.2 (or possibly even plain SCC.15 if it was new) and SCC.14. You might also want to check whether the pattern is appropriate.

Edited by Ade H

• 1 month later...

I am not at home at present but from memory of the kit diagrams these are a definitely half cock. The Mickey Mouse patterning  isn't quite right . I think it shows green and black which is intended to be SCC.15 Olive Drab basic and SCC14 blue-black.   This is OK for Normandy but most of the types were 1942-43 builds in SCC.2 brown and SCC.1A dark brown to MTP.46 patterning (Mickey Mouse type)  Google MTP 46 as see how it was actually done.  Keep in mind that many vehicles deployed in Normandy were never repainted, they kept their early colours, some even the striped 1940-41 scheme if they did not require repainting or it wasn't worth the time and effort.  If you mail me at mikestarmer18 at gmail,com  when home in November can attach pictures to you and MTP.46 diagram,

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Phil Gollin said:

Anyone seen / got the Thunder Models version yet ?

I picked up the Thunder Models Tank transporter kit at Telford , looks very nice indeed , although I've only started the trailer yet.

Andrew

3 hours ago, Andrew Jones said:

I picked up the Thunder Models Tank transporter kit at Telford , looks very nice indeed , although I've only started the trailer yet.

Andrew

Will you be doing a wip of  this build andrew, I'm keen too see  one of these come together

Glynn

• 4 months later...

Bit slow again I need to drop in more often 

It is possibly moot for cossak52's model but for anyone else coming to the IBG or the Thunder models kits: -

• Engine was painted "Gardner grey" - when fresh it's not that far off Medium Sea Grey to my eye, especially once given a light oily wash, but got darker with age. It seems that at least some wartime engines may have been repainted in what ever the current exterior was at the time the engine was repaired or overhauled
  • Post war rebuilt engines were painted BS381c:101 Sky Blue (as were all rebuilt/overhauled engines during this period)
  • Gearbox and PTO appear to have been gloss Brunswick green (similar to Humbrol3) when new, with filler and drain plugs in their natural brass finish. This may have varied depending on production date, but the two I have seen had this colour as the first layer of many
  • Bellhousings, possibly in Brunswick green or gloss black - this may be due to different production dates