DH Vampire FB.5/FB.51/FB.52A/MK.6 - Mark1 Models (14469) 1:144 scale

bootneck

DH Vampire FB.5/FB.51/FB.52A/MK.6  - Mark1 Models 1:144 scale

Mark I Models 1:144 scale

Concept designs for the first Vampire was started as early as 1941 but these proposals were not accepted by the Air Ministry until 1942.  Detailed designs were then undertaken for the aircraft which was now named the D.H. 100 Spider Crab and given an Air Ministry Specification E.6/41 for three prototypes.  The first test flights were not undertaken until 1943 and a production order for 120 Vampire Mk.1 aircraft was issued in May of 1944.  The first Mk.1’s entered operational service in the R.A.F.  in 1946.  The Vampire, in various versions proved to be a popular aircraft and saw service with many countries, including Canada, France, Italy, Norway, Switzerland and Sweden.

The kit:

mark1_14469_dh_vampire_01_boxart_cover.j

There are two complete kits provided in the box, which has a box-art image of Vampire Mk.5 WA144 tigermouth of No.112 Squadron R.A.F. in Germany 1953. The reverse of the box has five profile full-colour views showing various versions of the Vampire with their markings.  These views are supplemented in the instructions with colour plan views that show painting demarcations and decal placements etc.

mark1_14469_dh_vampire_02_boxart_rear.jp

The kit itself consists of a single grey sprue, containing all the component parts for the aircraft body; plus a clear sprue which holds the single-piece canopy and two tiny pieces for the wing-tip navigation lights.  There are two of these kits in the box.

mark1_14469_dh_vampire_08_sprue_01.jpg

On closer viewing, it can be seen that the engraved panel lines are sharp and not too recessed; although these could soon get filled when the primer, paints and varnish have been applied.

mark1_14469_dh_vampire_11_sprue_close-in

The fuselage body is really small (obviously for the scale) and I can envisage some problems in finding space for the recommended 5g of nose weight.  

mark1_14469_dh_vampire_13_sprue_close-in

Five of the component parts make up the cockpit console, consisting of the floor; backwall; seat; control column and instrument panel.  There is even a decal sheet for this panel!Finer details include intake and exhaust blanks, wheels and struts for main and nose gear assemblies, plus a pair of external wing tanks.

mark1_14469_dh_vampire_12_sprue_close-in

The clear sprue holds the single-piece canopy and two tiny pieces for the wing-tip navigation lights.

mark1_14469_dh_vampire_14_canopy.jpg

The four pages of instructions are fairly basic but clearly laid out in picture format, and include colour details for painting.

mark1_14469_dh_vampire_03_instructions_1

There are two pages depicting coloured 4-view plans of the various liveries that can be applied.  Some unusually different liveries are shown here.

mark1_14469_dh_vampire_06_instructions_4

The decal sheet has markings for Vampires of air forces of Britain, France, Italy and Switzerland. There are enough decals to make two of the four aircraft displayed on the box-art; plus there will invariably be some decals left over for the spares box.

mark1_14469_dh_vampire_07_decals.jpg

Conclusion

These kits can be classed as short-run castings and, as such, don’t just throw themselves together; however, with a little application and patience I think they can become nice little treasures in any post-war aircraft collection.  I personally like this kit and I am pleased that Mark1 Models has produced this jet in 1:144 scale and I shall be buying more of them.

These models can be purchased from many main line model and hobby shops or on-line.

Review sample courtesy of:

mark1_logo.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Paul,  yes, I like it and it's one of the few twin-boom aircraft in 1:144 scale.

Where did you get the red Mark1 tag from?  I looked all over for it. Mind you, I don't know if I have the access to that part of the source cody stuff.

cheers

Mike

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

The fuselage body is really small (obviously for the scale) and I can envisage some problems in finding space for the recommended 5g of nose weight.  

Perhaps some depleted uranium? :P

• Haha 1

Hello,

further to Mike's review (thanks, Mike) of our recent Vampire kit, I enclose some pics of the built model (actually the Federal Aircraft Works F+W Vampire Mk.6), made by Pavel Belda from Liberec Modeller's Club. So, enjoy!

Vampire6%20model%20by%20Belda_1_zpsjxs6r

Vampire6%20model%20by%20Belda_2_zpsf7d8j

and the last one:

Vampire6%20model%20by%20Belda_3_zpswqhza

KR

Michal Ovcacik, MARK I

P.S. an advice taken from another BM forum topic:

If you can't see the pics above, you may install a plugin in your browser (Chrome or Firefox) to circumvent the Photobucket restriction. Then you will be able to see again the pictures that were blocked when Photobucket made its questionable change.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-embedded-fix/?src=search

Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-embed-fix/naolkcpnnlofnnghnmfegnfnflicjjgj?hl=en

I'm using Firefox, installed the add-on, and now I can see again the images that were previously blocked in all threads in forums and other sites.

Edited by Michal @ MKM
update
  • Like 1

I'm seeing the photos, but I have the Firefox plug-in installed that gets around the PhotoBucket issue.  nice build, and nice pics. :) Also, to @bootneck, those pics are great too - I don't know what you were worried about! :thumbsup:

On 06/09/2017 at 17:00, Michal @ MKM said:

.......P.S. an advice taken from another BM forum topic:

If you can't see the pics above, you may install a plugin in your browser (Chrome or Firefox) to circumvent the Photobucket restriction. Then you will be able to see again the pictures that were blocked when Photobucket made its questionable change.
Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-embedded-fix/?src=search

Thank You Michal, I can now see the images; the detail and painting is excellent. This is even more inspiration for me to get started on this Vampire kit!

Best Wishes.

Mike

I just ordered a kit set on the basis of this.

I'm very short on space. Plus I need some mojo boosting builds. Plus I love DH aircraft and early jets.

Boxes ticked :).

These look just superb for the scale. I ordered a set of Brewster Buffaloes too.

Good review, looking forward to only my second and third (given two kits in a box, I guess it's second to second to fifth) non airliners in 1/144 :pilot: 

The only other 1/144 non airliner I have is a Revell Tornado (I quite enjoyed building it many years ago).

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1