BV222 - she's a big'un!!!!

Hi folks,

I finally decided that my entry for the GB would be Revell's 1/72 BV222 and by god she is massive!! :hypnotised:   I may live to regret taking on such a mammoth task but what the hell - I'm up for the challenge.  As I have a bit of a penchant for flying boats I may as well go all out and instead of thinking small - think big :yahoo:

So lets get things started with the usual box art pic to whet the appetite - here goes:

DSC00127

I had wanted to get this kit for ages and eventually it came up in the Wonderland Models sale - I ended up getting it for an absolute bargain:

DSC00128

You could't say no at that price could you - that would just have been wrong!!

As I said this kit is massive and there's an absolute ton of plastic.  Just to give you a feel for this I've included the sprue shots below for you:

DSC00129

That's my mobile phone to give you an idea of just how massive the fuselage and wings are - on we go:

DSC00130

DSC00131

DSC00132

DSC00133

Phew!!  I'm in a cold sweat just looking at all that plastic.  I think a stiff drink is in order to regain my composure.  So I'll go and sort out my sanity and wish you a happy Sunday.  Hopefully I'll make a start on her very soon so will be back to keep you updated as soon as possible.

Kris

• Like 20

Hello I'm in here for the beast. But i'ts a good kit to build from what I read Without major issues or fuss. I would like to mention that it is much better to put a brass tube from one wing to the other through  the fuselage hole. I saw this more than once due to weight and long wingspan. Mostly to the outer engines  and flatened there. Happy modelling

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What a bargain beast. I looked at the dimensions on the Revell site, It really is big. I'll look forward to your build. Joe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I had my mitts on this once upon a time, but gave it away to one of the guys when he guilted me into it :lol: BIG kit ;)

Mike as luck would have it, I have an extra one, drop me a PM if you're interested, the Group Build has just started so there is no need to miss out :wicked:

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hello Kris !

Hooooops, someone has dared !!

Such a big beast ! Congratulations !

Definitely, I'll start some complexes ! The Perth, The Sunderland and now a Viking, not to forget the Do-24

My Ryan and me felt so tiny:worry:

Good luck with that one !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

• Haha 1

Great choice! I have this kit, and just test-fitting the major parts like the wings and the fuselage, everything fits together quite nicely, and there's lots of detail. That was a real steal at this price, considering how big and nice this kit is. Good luck with it! Are you going to be brave enough to do the winter camouflage version (that's the one I want to do if I ever get back to mine)?

Regards,

Jason

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Mike as luck would have it, I have an extra one, drop me a PM if you're interested, the Group Build has just started so there is no need to miss out :wicked:

That's right nice of you chap, but I really really do have enough kits to be going on with ^_^

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello I'm in here for the beast. But i'ts a good kit to build from what I read Without major issues or fuss. I would like to mention that it is much better to put a brass tube from one wing to the other through  the fuselage hole. I saw this more than once due to weight and long wingspan. Mostly to the outer engines  and flatened there. Happy modelling

Thanks for your feedback bbudde - much appreciated.  I'll bear in mind what you have said about reinforcing the wings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff Kris

I think a scaffold tube will be ideal as a wing brace, I will bring one down with the engine hoist later on in the build.

I am with you all the way  :popcorn:

cheers Pat

Never fail to make me laugh pat :giggle:  Although I'm starting to think that scaffolding poles would probably be more useful!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Kris !

Hooooops, someone has dared !!

Such a big beast ! Congratulations !

Definitely, I'll start some complexes ! The Perth, The Sunderland and now a Viking, not to forget the Do-24

My Ryan and me felt so tiny:worry:

Good luck with that one !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp

Thanks corsaircorp - appreciate you wishing me luck - I'll need it lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Learstang said:

Great choice! I have this kit, and just test-fitting the major parts like the wings and the fuselage, everything fits together quite nicely, and there's lots of detail. That was a real steal at this price, considering how big and nice this kit is. Good luck with it! Are you going to be brave enough to do the winter camouflage version (that's the one I want to do if I ever get back to mine)?

Regards,

Jason

Thanks for your comments Jason and you're right about it being loaded with details.  I am indeed going to be brave and attempt the winter camouflage version as I think its such an eye catching scheme and on such a big model it'll really make a statement.

• Like 1

Hi Kris,

Welcome to the GB! I'm really impressed with the pictures of the box contents. That's a superb choice you've made, I'll be watching with great interest as I'd like to build one myself (no idea where to put it after completed, though...).

Good luck with your project!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Got this as a bargain too so me as well could not resist. Nice choice. There was a war prize BV222 overpainted in white with RAF roundels, which might be the version I will once build (or a civil whif). I think Pavla did a beaching trolley and Obsureco does a "corrected horizontal stabilizer" although I have no clue what is wrong with the kit one. Just if you are interested.

:popcorn:

René

• Like 1

I regret to inform I've succumbed to the temptation and got the Revell BV222 in the evil bay...

I confirm it's gigantic, the box contents look impressive and I haven't the faintest about where to display it if I ever build it and finish it...

Looking forward to seeing this build taking shape!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jrlx said:

I regret to inform I've succumbed to the temptation and got the Revell BV222 in the evil bay...

I confirm it's gigantic, the box contents look impressive and I haven't the faintest about where to display it if I ever build it and finish it...

Looking forward to seeing this build taking shape!

Cheers

Jaime

Oh dear Jaime, you have succumbed to the dark side.....:worms:

cheers Pat

• Haha 1

Right - I'm back folks - finally managed to make a start on the Big Girl, albeit slowly.  We're currently in the middle of a house move so chaos ensues all around me while I'm trying to crack on with the build.

Anyhoo - made a start with the nose section as per the instructions and here's where I am so far:

DSC00136

DSC00135

DSC00134

DSC00138

The inside received some airbrushed Revell Aqua Hellolive (Light Olive) - acting as RLM 02 as per Revell's instructions which I always think is a pretty good likeness.  The floor received a coat of Revell Aqua Staubgrau (Dust Grey).

Then I've hand painted the instrument panel and dials as I felt the decal was lacking and added a wash to the interior panels and door.  Next step is to button all this up and move on with the next steps which I hope to bring you asap.

Catch up with you all soon

Kris

• Like 8