F-4 Phantom II STGB Chat

PhantomBigStu

AAAAUUUUUGGGGHHHH  !!!!   :frantic:

I'm going to have to stop looking at F-4s on t'interweb.  I've settled on my builds for this GB and need to stick to them.  I shouldn't let myself be seduced by F-4Js in Ferris schemes or Greek F-4Es in the Aegean Ghost scheme, or JASDF F-4EJs in the sea camo scheme...   

Maybe for the next F-4 STGB...  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

AAAAUUUUUGGGGHHHH  !!!!   :frantic:

I'm going to have to stop looking at F-4s on t'interweb.  I've settled on my builds for this GB and need to stick to them.  I shouldn't let myself be seduced by F-4Js in Ferris schemes or Greek F-4Es in the Aegean Ghost scheme, or JASDF F-4EJs in the sea camo scheme...   

Maybe for the next F-4 STGB...  

You know you want to. :wicked:

Oh dear, having remained surprisingly focused on work and riding the "cash flow wave" (and let me tell you, it isn't a big enough wave!) I find that I'm falling well behind on worthy Group Builds.  This isn't the best time to declare a Phantom project (wait, all of my group build entries have turned out to be phantom projects...) but surely thinking about them in the back of my mind couldn't hurt... or maybe just taking a quick look at a book.  I know right where the kits are, in the back corner of the room.  But that would definitely not be wise, like telling a struggling alcoholic that you're just going to set this open bottle of Jack Daniels down for a moment...

[Edit: How appropriate that you, "whiskey", reacted to this post!]

[2nd Edit: Arggh, out of curiosity I scrolled down the list of declarations thus far, and even THAT simple act triggered slight pangs of temptation.  Must click away to something less seductive, like illicit photos taken during major inspections of a Fairey Gannet or something...  (Yeah, I know, that would turn some of you lot on!)]

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 2

On 7/6/2019 at 9:06 AM, Enzo Matrix said:

I do want to.  That's the problem!!!

Do them all! :lol:

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 12:25 PM, SleeperService said:

Hi Phreaks

As my current build is going well I'll be a late entry. I'd like to do option 4 from the soon to be re-released Hi Decal sheet Option 4

spacer.png

What would get me this in 1/48th please? My local shop has the Italeri kit in stock just like THIS ONE is it a decent starting point?

Hello,

IMHO the best option to make this RF-4ETM  in 1/48th scale would be the Hasegawa and Italeri offerings, as they include the rounded camera fairing under the nose. You will also need slatted wings from an F-4E kit, as this bird was one of 12 last manufactured RF-4Es ( 6 for Turkey and 6 for Greece) equipped with this feature. therefore, you will need to swap the external wing parts with a F-4E. You can do this easily with Hasegawa, and ESCI / Italeri Phantoms ( in this last case simply swap the entire wings with the recently released Italeri F-4E ).

These RF-4ETM were also equipped with AIM-9 missiles for self defence.

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Diego said:

Hello,

IMHO the best option to make this RF-4ETM would be the Hasegawa, Fujimi and Italeri offerings, as they include the rounded camera fairing under the nose. You will also need slatted wings from an F-4E kit, as this bird was one of 12 last manufactured RF-4Es ( 6 for Turkey and 6 for Greece) equipped with this feature. therefore, you will need to swap the external wing parts with a F-4E. You can do this easily with Hasegawa, Fujimi and ESCI / Italeri Phantoms ( in this last case simply swap the entire wings with the recently released Italeri F-4E ).

These RF-4ETM were also equipped with AIM-9 missiles for self defence.

Greetings

Diego

Thank You for the very helpful reply Diego. I missed the RF-4 at my LHS but he has put an Italeri order in so hopefully it'll arrive in good time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2019 at 5:25 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Some phantastic entries so far, if I haven't got to your entry yet I apologise, have been limited to mobile browsing mostly, which reminds me, should really start one of my entries.....

Hello folk's, can I join in with this Fujimi FG.1 I started for the 60's NATO/Warsaw Pact GB last year, but didn't get going with it.

I've only assembled the main wing (to do an in-flight aircraft) and some cockpit bits as per photo, is this less than 25%?

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0005

Going to do Xtradecal 'XV574, 43 Sqn, Leuchars, 1970.

DSC_0003

Means removing the electronic's fairing on top of the tail though 🙄

Davey.

11 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Hello folk's, can I join in with this Fujimi FG.1 I started for the 60's NATO/Warsaw Pact GB last year, but didn't get going with it.

I've only assembled the main wing (to do an in-flight aircraft) and some cockpit bits as per photo, is this less than 25%?

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0005

Going to do Xtradecal 'XV574, 43 Sqn, Leuchars, 1970.

DSC_0003

Means removing the electronic's fairing on top of the tail though 🙄

Davey.

Welcome, glad to have that entry :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can I play? I have 3 weeks off and I feel this GB is in need of some USAFE Phantoms. I'm planning to build 2 1/72 Hasegawa kits.

One will be an early Torrejon based F-4E, this one:

7473.jpg

And a Euro 1 Spangdahlem based F-4G, this one:

DU54Qol.jpg

Decals have been ordered, so I should begin shortly.

Edit: I might even do both as 69-0280, provided I can find the right 8 and 0 for the E

Edited by Creepy Pete
strawberries
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

Can I play? I have 3 weeks off and I feel this GB is in need of some USAFE Phantoms. I'm planning to build 2 1/72 Hasegawa kits.

One will be an early Torrejon based F-4E, this one:

7473.jpg

And a Euro 1 Spangdahlem based F-4G, this one:

DU54Qol.jpg

Decals have been ordered, so I should begin shortly.

Edit: I might even do both as 69-0280, provided I can find the right 8 and 0 for the E

Welcome aboard

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

Is it just my computer or is anyone else unable to see some of the uploaded photos?  Eg in the Gallery I can't see Hockeyboy's "Egg" but can see all of the others.

Mike

You are not alone. I have the same issues, on the iPad just see flashing grey squares in both the gallery and thread, other images seem fine.

23 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

You are not alone. I have the same issues, on the iPad just see flashing grey squares in both the gallery and thread, other images seem fine.

Good to know it isn't just me - neither laptop (Windows) nor tablet (Android) show them, so guess there must be an issue with whichever site is hosting the photos.  Strangely, I'm sure that Hockeyboy's build thread was OK earlier in the GB.

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

How about seven days?  New finish date is 6 October.

Good news, I thought I'd be done a week or two ago but 'things' have conspired against me.  Hopefully will be done this week, been fiddling with the Eduard Sidewinder's and painting the Exhaust nozzles today.

Davey. 

• Like 1

extension is definitely good news for many!

but how best to spread it to the concerned?.. quite quiet here lately..... hard to understand with a PHANTOM GB in its finals!! :(

but quite some still seem to be at it :)