1/48 Heller triple Mirage pack

RMP2

I dont know if these are a newish boxing or not, only just randomly come across it. Was wondering if its worth a punt?

Sure, theyre fairly old kits and Heller are fairly basic, but having seen it for around £35 +P&P it seemed a pretty reasonable offering on the face of it.

Any thoughts?

Coffret-de-3-Maquettes-100-Ans-Dassault-

Yea, seemed a pretty good deal to me overall.
My only reservation with second hand would be the postage costs for them individually and a worry of old decals that are possibly not the best even when new.

I have seen a similar set advertised but with the Mirage 2000N instead of the D and also seen the boxing shown here with the 2000D on the lid but further description describing it as the N.      The Mirage 2000N was the standard Heller kit however a few years ago they released  a rather expensive 2000D with added resin , etch and a new decal sheet.    Be very interesting to know exactly which Mirage 2000 is included in this offer. 

I think its the N, Des. Going purely by the included missile and the N designation. Whether Heller got it right or not... I cant be sure, Im no Mirage expert.

That's a pity , their 2000D was tempting when it was released with extras in the Afghanistan packaging around the same time as their Super Etendard Modernise with similar extras but they were horrendously expensive.

The 2000N was a reasonable kit which Airfix released as a 2000B but I have already got a couple of them up the loft along with a couple of the IIIC/B and I recently bought a IVP on its own having built all three previously.    All were nice kits in their time and while the Mirage III and 2000 families have got more recent and expensive competition the Heller Mirage IV remains unique in 1/48 scale but as has been mentioned unless they have been reprinted the decals were the definite weak point of all three being just enough out of register to be noticeable and having a wide carrier film usually displaced off to one side.     The Mirage IV has raised panel detail and although I cannot recall the Mirage III I am pretty certain that the Mirage 2000 had recessed but could be wrong.

Notwithstanding that if I did not already have the kits available it would definitely have been a tempting if the postage was reasonable.

Edited by Des
added comma

Nice - any set with a Mirage IV works for me.  Nice to see the one at YAM now - always think of it in the same bracket as TRS2.  Do Heller tend towards 1/50 rather than 1/48?

Edited by bar side

The kit here is in 1/48 however back at the dawn of time Heller were very much into 1/50 scale French aircraft of the day often based on prototypes including a Mirage IVA which has little in common with the current kit and came with hinged cockpit canopies , retractable undercarriage , moveable control surfaces and lots of the usual 1960s gimmicks.      The practice carried on for a while and went on to include more production level aircraft without gimmicks such as the Puma , Cessna O-2 and others before they adopted the by then more common 1/48 scale and onto the current Mirage III ,  IV and 2000.

It is a good value for money k

Pack!

Got it when it came out earluer this year I think. Old plastic, new decals.

Lots of AM out there!

Still the  best kits respectively out there shapewise!!!

11 hours ago, Des said:

That's a pity , their 2000D was tempting when it was released with extras in the Afghanistan packaging around the same time as their Super Etendard Modernise with similar extras but they were horrendously expensive.

The 2000N was a reasonable kit which Airfix released as a 2000B but I have already got a couple of them up the loft along with a couple of the IIIC/B and I recently bought a IVP on its own having built all three previously.    All were nice kits in their time and while the Mirage III and 2000 families have got more recent and expensive competition the Heller Mirage IV remains unique in 1/48 scale but as has been mentioned unless they have been reprinted the decals were the definite weak point of all three being just enough out of register to be noticeable and having a wide carrier film usually displaced off to one side.     The Mirage IV has raised panel detail and although I cannot recall the Mirage III I am pretty certain that the Mirage 2000 had recessed but could be wrong.

Notwithstanding that if I did not already have the kits available it would definitely have been a tempting if the postage was reasonable.

Sorry, Des. Its the IV that looks to be the "N", going purely by the box artwork... which also suggests the 2000 is the Kandaha version. Too good to be true?
Will have a rummage for some in-box photo stuff.

Edited by RMP2

That's an awful lot of plastic for £35!

AFAIK, Heller never did a 1/48th IIIE, they did a IIIB/C which is still a nice kit (see Ray's build thread of the IIIB converted to a IIID in the Mirage GB), the box art is of a Djibouti based IIIC, although it has raised lines it's still a respectable kit.  Due to the breakdown of the moulding I'd expect to find the parts for both the B and C in the kit.

Never had the Mirage IV so I can't vouch for that.

The Mirage 2000 has recessed lines but they're very trench like compared to modern standards, Trickyrich is bashing the Eduard boxing of the 2000C into submission, the base kit was released about the same time as the 2000N which I've no doubt the 2000D moulding is based upon so they share the same pedigree and moulding standards.

If you want to practice your modelling skills then this represents exceptional value!

Just to confuse matters - same catalogue number, but this shows a 2000N instead of a D...

p1_FULL.jpg

Ah. As Des has already pointed out... scuse me while i take myself outside and give myself a jolly good slap. :)

Edited by RMP2

If the doubts over the inclusion of the basic 2000N or upgraded 2000D Afghanistan kits were not enough I have found something that confuses things a little bit further.

I had a look at one of the shops offering the set - https://www.france-maquette.fr/maquettes-avions-fr/coffret-100-ans-dassault-1-48-heller-52322.html - which shows the 2000D boxart and also has illustrations showing the paints required and views of the artwork for the decal options.

These are shown for one Mirage IVP , one Mirage 2000N and three conflicting options for what Heller describe on the box as a Mirage IIIE which now comes with decal options for a Spanish IIIC although the artwork shows it correctly as a IIIE , a French IIIR and a Belgian 5BA.     Which I suppose raises questions of whether Heller has merely produced a decal sheet that does not relate to the plastic included , have they sourced someone else's IIIE/R plastic (although I cannot think of any 1/48 kit that contains the parts for both) or have they carried out a very major overhaul of their old IIIB/C moulds?     

From the size of the boxart it was difficult to tell for certain but it looks as if the artwork for the original IIIB/C kit might have been altered on this new box top to show a IIIE style afterburner which of course is far from being the only difference actually involved.

It would be good to hear from someone who has bought or even just had a look inside the box bearing the 2000D artwork to hear exactly it contains - imagine if they had ran out of 2000N kits and had to substitute surviving 2000D kits - about as much chance as winning the lottery without even buying a ticket I suppose.

2 hours ago, Des said:

From the size of the boxart it was difficult to tell for certain but it looks as if the artwork for the original IIIB/C kit might have been altered on this new box top to show a IIIE style afterburner which of course is far from being the only difference actually involved.

I think you're right there, just altered the box art to show a IIIE afterburner, the rear fuselage looks to be the right length for a IIIC (e.g. longer than a IIIE), the intakes are certainly too far forward for a IIIE but right for a IIIC.

Edited by Wez
extra text and speelung

9 hours ago, exdraken said:

It is a good value for money k

Pack!

Got it when it came out earluer this year I think. Old plastic, new decals.

Lots of AM out there!

Still the  best kits respectively out there shapewise!!!

Can you help clarify just what comes in the box/es, please?

2000D or N?

And what are the options for the III?

2 hours ago, RMP2 said:

Can you help clarify just what comes in the box/es, please?

2000D or N?

And what are the options for the III?

Hi, 

Will post photos later.

Mine shows the N on the box top and also contains the standard N plastic.

Decals are printed to a good, gloss standard, well in register on mine.

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

Just now, usetherudders said:

Very tempted seen this on Heller for 39 💶 any UK sellers?

Only seenit in France, Germany and Japan. Cheapest I saw was £35 +P&P

Cheers. Thats got us pretty much there, assuming the destructions are accurate at least.

Just leaves us wondering whats in the box that shows the 2000D in the artwork, but I suspect its a 2000N meself.

Those decals for the III are definitely for IIIB/C units, whilst I'm looking at this on my phone and thus not the best of views, I'm sure I can make out EC.2.2 Côte D'Or, EC.2.10 Seine and EC.3.10 Vexin, which suggests that the kit is the IIIB/C.

1 hour ago, RMP2 said:

Cheers. Thats got us pretty much there, assuming the destructions are accurate at least.

Just leaves us wondering whats in the box that shows the 2000D in the artwork, but I suspect its a 2000N meself.

As the box number is the same, I guess your/the original box design did not make it into production, someone realised the mistake...

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Those decals for the III are definitely for IIIB/C units, whilst I'm looking at this on my phone and thus not the best of views, I'm sure I can make out EC.2.2 Côte D'Or, EC.2.10 Seine and EC.3.10 Vexin, which suggests that the kit is the IIIB/C.

The Heller lit is a III B/C kit. There is only this one around from Heller in 1/48.

Edited by exdraken

All makes sense to me.

Bit of a bummer, but hey at that price with new decals, its a no lose buy. If you have room for them, which I dont, so I mustnt buy this...