1/48 tornado gulf war

periklis_sale

Hi guys 

i am planning to build a 1/48 tornado from he gulf war period in the desert pink cammo but I have a few questions

1. Which Revell kit shall I use as a basis. Can I use the new GR.4 one?

2. Best after market decal options

3. Where can I get correct under belly pylons and laser pod?

4. Correct cammo colour in gunze?

thank you for your help

Edited by periklis_sale

To answer a couple of your questions.

1. As far as I know yes you can, with you not fitting the FLIR pod and fitting the gun trough that should be there, as this is the way that I will be going when I get around to building one. There maybe more differences in the cockpit but I am not sure of these.

2. The best decal sheet was the Aviation Workshop, but unfortunately this is difficult to find. 

3. I think the correct pylons come in the Revell GR4 kit, same with the laser ranging pod.

4. Sorry I do not know this conversion, as I normally used Humbrol 250 modified a bit.

Hope this is of some help.

21 minutes ago, Jabba said:

4. Sorry I do not know this conversion, as I normally used Humbrol 250 modified a bit.

That is my default choice as well.

Perikles, if you're set on Gunze: Hasegawa gives a mix of 95% H44 Flesh with 5 % H47 Red Brown for Desert Pink.

HTH,

Andre

Kits-World have released two sets on Gulf War Tornados, I don't have them but have their Buccaneer sheets and they certainly look very good quality. Ignore their small typo in the instructions calling the aircraft 'GR4's'.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KW48126

Yes, Revel GR4 kit...you need to backdate the cockpit displays though as these are to the GR4 standard.The Kits work decals are nice but the shark mouth schemes do not fit the Revel kit nose area....Here my WIP in progress painted with Humbrol 250..

Mig eater2

• Like 2

When you say "laser pod" it depends which you are referring to.

The LRMTS fairing on the right underside near the nose undercarriage is the same for GR1 & GR4.

If you mean the TIALD designation pod for use with Paveway LGB's, it will be the same if it is included in the kit. There are AM resin TIALD pods available.

Note though, in the early days of the Gulf war the Tornado's did not have any LGB designation capability. That is why the Buccaneers were quickly sent out to use the Pavespike system they had been using for many years.

In the later period 2 Tornado GR1's were sent out (ZD739 Armour Charmer & ZD844 Donna Ewin) to Tabuk. These carried the first 2 TIALD pods in service, the pods were named Sandra & Tracy. These 2 jets only did designation sorties, no bombing. They carried the TIALD on the left front shoulder pylon and a 3rd tank on the right shoulder pylon.

Rob.

• Like 4

On 04/09/2017 at 3:32 AM, Phone Phixer said:

When you say "laser pod" it depends which you are referring to.

The LRMTS fairing on the right underside near the nose undercarriage is the same for GR1 & GR4.

If you mean the TIALD designation pod for use with Paveway LGB's, it will be the same if it is included in the kit. There are AM resin TIALD pods available.

Note though, in the early days of the Gulf war the Tornado's did not have any LGB designation capability. That is why the Buccaneers were quickly sent out to use the Pavespike system they had been using for many years.

In the later period 2 Tornado GR1's were sent out (ZD739 Armour Charmer & ZD844 Donna Ewin) to Tabuk. These carried the first 2 TIALD pods in service, the pods were named Sandra & Tracy. These 2 jets only did designation sorties, no bombing. They carried the TIALD on the left front shoulder pylon and a 3rd tank on the right shoulder pylon.

Rob.

Rob thank you for the info

do you have any reference photos of your explanation?

cheers 👍🏼

I've not got any personal photo's, but a quick Google search found these.

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/pics/gulfwar/torn/Tornado GR1 ZD844 Donna Ewin - Bahrain.jpg

ZD844 with 3rd tank and TIALD pod, the pod isn't very clear but its there.

ARMOURCHARMER.jpg

ZD739 nose art, mission tally shows all laser symbols no bombs.

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/pics/gulfwar/torn/Tornado GR1 ZD844 Donna Ewin 'TIALD'.jpg

ZD844 nose art & mission tally.

https://www.dstorm.eu/pictures/nose-arts/tornado/gb/tiald_sandra.jpg

TIALD pod with tank behind.

https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/loadout/tornado.html

Tornado loadouts from the site Jabba mentions. Scroll down to the "smart bomb configurations"

Hope this helps.

Rob.

Italeri kit with neomega resin gr1 cockpit.

Revel kit is excellent but you'll need the older seats and cockpit so the Italeri kit should not be overlooked especially as they can be picked up pretty cheap. One bonus of the Italeri kit is it has been released with a Gulf option

Regards

Nigel