Airfix Taranto Swordfish - COMPLETED

Browsing BM, I came across your build and thought "ah, a Swordfish, I might be able to pick up some tips on rigging for when I do one of the ones I have in the stash" but no, you sneak the rigging in right at the end and don't she how you did it. Frankly, I feel cheated. 

Apart from that minor gripe, I think you done a good job on quite an old kit.  :D

1 hour ago, Beard said:

Browsing BM, I came across your build and thought "ah, a Swordfish, I might be able to pick up some tips on rigging for when I do one of the ones I have in the stash"

I use a tiny blob of Uhu glue on the end of a cocktail stick.

Touched at each end of a wire, forms a string.  This model took me less than an hour.

Can't honestly say that biplanes are my thing, so this is probably my last.

• Like 1

Tim, at the risk of being thick (gotta be good at something. ;) ) your rigging wires are just a filament of stretched Uhu glue? or are you using the Uhu to stick a fine wire in place? Sorry, I'm a bit disturbingly literal at times & can confuse myself at the drop of a hat. :unsure: 

Steve.

3 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I use a tiny blob of Uhu glue on the end of a cocktail stick.

Touched at each end of a wire, forms a string.  This model took me less than an hour.

Can't honestly say that biplanes are my thing, so this is probably my last.

Thanks for sharing an interesting technique.

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

your rigging wires are just a filament of stretched Uhu glue? or are you using the Uhu to stick a fine wire in place? 

Confirming a filament of stretched Uhu glue.  No wires or other materials used.

I can tell that I've generated some interest with this, so I'll try to post some action-photos later tonight.

I built a Lifelike Bristol Boxkite model about 1976, rigged in this manner.  Very easy and impressive - AND I won a regional model contest with Air Training Corps.

I've not rigged many models since - but somehow the result doesn't seem as good now.

• Like 2

On 9/22/2017 at 12:23 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

Confirming a filament of stretched Uhu glue.  No wires or other materials used.

I can tell that I've generated some interest with this, so I'll try to post some action-photos later tonight.

Apologies - but this will be delayed now.

Called out for a curry with @Seahawk, and I've important other stuff to discuss with him.

Followed by a VERY busy weekend.

Putting off action photos of rigging until next week - but it's not forgotten.

18 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Interesting approach with the UHU. How long lasting is that? I imagine any temperature changes in your house will cause stretching and shrinking of the filament.

I'll get the other two Swordfish down from the loft for group photos.

That Boxkite lasted well, never noticed any sagging.

That Stringbag looks very nice! I have the new Airfix kit, but I might have a go at the old one, as it looks reasonably accurate and a nice, easy build. Or maybe I'll go for the Matchbox/Revell kit, or the old Frog/Novo version whilst I get up the courage to finish my new Airfix Swordfish (very nice kit, but all the little bits and bobs have me a bit intimidated).

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

On 01/09/2017 at 10:52 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

Swordfish.jpg

As alcohol laden as it says. I've just returned from Cotswold Arms, Chelt, seeing a mate's band play there.  And Swordfish was on draught - well rude not to partake,   but I have promised to show the bar staff photos is all my Swordfish next time I visit.

• 3 years later...