Twotter. By me and Matchbox.

Rob G

Hahahahahaaa... I make no promises, but I'm going to take a leaf from the Book of Ced and stake my claim to a GB first; the wee little Twin Otter. Work's being a bit crazy busy so I most likely won't even be able to get serious on this one for a fortnight or more.

In its short nosed guise, a Twotter on floats is one of the prettiest things in the sky IMO. I'm going to build this (mostly) OOB as a trial run for a series of Aussie-registered kites that I have decals for and want to modify to better represent the real thing. At this point I have no idea what colours it will be, but I'll work that out as things progress.

Photos later today, after I've driven home from work and had a chance to unpack the car.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Rob G said:

Hahahahahaaa... I make no promises, but I'm going to take a leaf from the Book of Ced and stake my claim to a GB first; the wee little Twin Otter. Work's being a bit crazy busy so I most likely won't even be able to get serious on this one for a fortnight or more.

In its short nosed guise, a Twotter on floats is one of the prettiest things in the sky IMO. I'm going to build this (mostly) OOB as a trial run for a series of Aussie-registered kites that I have decals for and want to modify to better represent the real thing. At this point I have no idea what colours it will be, but I'll work that out as things progress.

Photos later today, after I've driven home from work and had a chance to unpack the car.

Hi Rob,

Great to have your entry! As hosts we must set an example :D

Cheers

Jaime

• Haha 1

@amblypygid  - I have no doubt that your build will progress at a much more rapid pace than mine. I work away from home and the upcoming couple of months are turning into a bit of a frazzle; we have a bucketload of site work booked, so I won't be modelling much at all. This is why I chose the Matchbox kit for my entry, it should be a relatively quick build. I'd take it with me, but 12hr days don't leave a lot of free time or energy for fiddling with plastic.

@AlexN - there's quite a few very interesting and obscure types in the GB, for sure. I'm not certain that the Twotter counts as obscure (or even particularly interesting), but she sure is pretty.

• Like 1

By all accounts there's some shape problems, which I won't be addressing for this build. It'll be a quickie when I start it (says he, laughing hollowly). However, it's a Matchbox kit and despite the high level of scorn that they attract, they DO tend to fit together pretty well as a rule.

• Like 3

Here's a video to whet your Twotter appetites. This is the airframe I hope to build, as I can use the kit decals and will only need to source/make a couple of serial numbers.

Luvverly, ain't it?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Rob G said:

Here's a video to whet your Twotter appetites. This is the airframe I hope to build, as I can use the kit decals and will only need to source/make a couple of serial numbers.

Crikey, that's absolutely lovely :heart: !

It's so good when mankind creates something that looks intrinsically 'right',  for its role and environment.

As Alex said, that's some pretty nifty manoeuvring up to the jetty :thumbsup2: 

The kit goes together a treat. Basic build can be done in an afternoon (with a good supply of good quality tea).

Plus it looks the part. Just squint a bit and you'll see nothing that questions the fact it's a yellow Twotter. So glad that Revell re-released this :).

Looking forward to this,

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

Dammmit Rob, now you've made me wish I'd picked up that Twotter I saw at our local show

Still there's allus Telford

Mind if I hang about and mooch in occasionally?

Edited by perdu
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm... despite not officially starting this build, I'm going to put it on hiatus for a while. I started off playing with the plastic and thinking of ways to fix the bits that Matchbox got wrong (windscreen and cockpit doors, engines and props and the tail fin), and have decided that seeing as I have half a dozen to do, there's no real point in me just fiddling with this one - it makes more sense to make up some bits once, then cast them and use as required.

As a result, I'll be learning some new skills - mastering parts, vacforming and resin casting. Frabjous day. While I'm at it, I may as well do a resin cockpit and interior (HAH!!)

There's every chance that I won't get to finish this off before the GB ends due to work and the fact that I'm slow (can't even finish a simple kit in GB time, what hope have I here?) If anyone's interested though, I can update things as I make progress on a 'Matchbox Twin Otter Improvement Kit, Mk.1' I may also get this thread moved to... somewhere appropriate, if people want to follow along with my trials.

Thank you to those who followed the build from the start - please feel free to make your own Twin Otters for the GB (and the Matchbox GB, which starts soon, as well as any other GB that you can possibly squeeze one into).

In the meantime, I'll make a start on my Beriev Be-200 for this GB, just as soon as the PE arrives from the Big Yellow Warehouse and I get some time free. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh yes it is

Don't look behind you

It will soon be the season for...

Pantomime

And casting

And vacforming and

Well anything really

In a slightly less serious vein

No

I mean in a more serious vein it sounds like a good and worthwhile project

And you doing it means I ain't going to have to after Telford when I get mine, cos I shall have one

I shall!

I really will be following this

Matchbox

Copious scratch building for PRODUCTION

Fabulous

But do smile Rob, its only a game

A great and wonderful game

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

Feel free to update the thread with your "new skills" work. I'm sure there'll be plenty of people interested in following.

Good luck with this project and I look forward to see your other entry soon.

Cheers

Jaime

• 3 weeks later...