Wildcatfish

**This was started in the Floatplanes GB, I never really got on top of it and was way short of the finish line**

I'll be a bit late to the party as I need to finish off a couple of models first. When they're done, I'll be putting together a 1/48 HobbyBoss F4F-3S Wildcatfish. Should be a wheeze.

Edited by Avereda
  • Like 2

Hi Avereda, 

Welcome to the GB! That's a nice choice, good luck with your current builds and I look forward to seeing this one started! 

Cheers

Jaime

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2017 at 10:55 AM, AlexN said:

Never heard of one of these - will be following with great interest!

Cheers,

Alex :sheep: <-- is interested too :)

I think there was only one. 

On 9/1/2017 at 3:49 AM, Avereda said:

I'll be a bit late to the party as I need to finish off a couple of models first. When they're done, I'll be putting together a 1/48 HobbyBoss F4F-3S Wildcatfish. Should be a wheeze.

Very cool choice, and I'm especially interested as I love flying boats and am also building a Wildcat F4F-3 (although I should be starting on my GB build!).

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing your build!

Regards,

David 

• 4 weeks later...

Time to get this one up and running. After failures in the last three GBs with Amodel, Maquette and old Airfix kits, I'm hoping HobbyBoss will break the hex. First up, the pleasingly sturdy HobbyBoss box:

37042163353_68ba726bae_b.jpg

Nicely packaged sprues with protection for the delicate parts:

23859315268_f576215a46_b.jpg

Clear parts, again protected, and a bit of photo etch:

37680381712_8731f24c98_b.jpg

Instructions, decals and full-colour paint details:

37680381602_7ce0c16431_b.jpg

The plan is to try and have an early bash at the propeller, canopies and other stuff that causes me a headache towards the end of a build, then I'll put the cockpit together and carry on as normal.

Great! I'm looking forward to seeing this take shape. I know I shouldn't, but I'm going to start looking for a 1/72 Wildcatfish kit.

Regards,

David

• 1 month later...

Despite some dire warnings from the eye doc this morning that the afternoon might bring blurred vision all had been well. Thankfully I’ve been able to get some modelling done, mainly the internals plus the buoys. A mix of Humbrol 81 & 226 for the interior and Model Master Dark Gull Gray as a primer for the buoys - I thought I’d put the airbrush down and go for hand brushed enamels for a change.

38562518336_47e00000ef_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Another one doomed not to make the finish line, hopefully it will get finished though. Fuselage zipped up and some filler rectifying the main seam issue.

38768247234_d4788ec525_b.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jrlx said:

Great progress! Closing the fuselage is always a great milestone of an aircraft build :clap2:

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks for that, I’m aiming for wings on, fully primed by close of play Sunday - best not to set the bar too high.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thom216 said:

In the same boat about incompletion. Started too late, but that's okay. Interested to see the build continue.

I think choosing to brush paint with enamels was probably my downfall on this one.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 14:42, Avereda said:

I’m aiming for wings on, fully primed by close of play Sunday - best not to set the bar too high.

Hi @Avereda

If you haven't noticed yet, the GB deadline has been extended one week, till 14 January 2018, 23:59 GMT. Hope this helps you finish your model without rushing!

Cheers

Jaime

19 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Hi @Avereda

If you haven't noticed yet, the GB deadline has been extended one week, till 14 January 2018, 23:59 GMT. Hope this helps you finish your model without rushing!

Cheers

Jaime

Jaime

Thanks for letting me know, I might get a little further down the line but I’ve got a busy week ahead and next weekend is already booked out to non- modelling activities.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Limping along as has been the pattern for the last 12 months, there’s some chance this may get finished in the next 12 though. Wings on so that’s another hurdle cleared.

39194669144_ffe647ccbc_b.jpg

• Like 1

It's looking great!

If you wish, the thread can be moved to the Aircraft WIP area. You might get better exposure for your work there, since the GB is now finished and very few people will be looking here.

Cheers

Jaime

On 27/01/2018 at 1:25 AM, jrlx said:

It's looking great!

If you wish, the thread can be moved to the Aircraft WIP area. You might get better exposure for your work there, since the GB is now finished and very few people will be looking here.

Cheers

Jaime

On 27/01/2018 at 5:24 AM, Grandboof said:

Looking good so far 

Martin H

Thank you both. Jaime, if it can be moved to WIP that would be great - I’m not entirely sure my plastic fumblings are worthy of greater exposure but what the heck.

John

4 hours ago, Avereda said:

if it can be moved to WIP that would be great

Done!

Just add a message to the top of the first post in this thread to let people know it was started in the GB and moved here after the GB ended.

Cheers

Jaime