1/72 Wellington codes needed.

Watcher

A pal of mine who isn't a modeller (yet!) is making up the Trumpeter 1/72nd Wellington in the markings of a relative who was shot down and killed over Northern Germany. I promised that I'd buy him the necessary codes. I've already managed to buy him the wrong size (anyone want so very big red codes?). He brought the kit codes in and I'm looking for one letter is about 20mm tall and the other two are about 15mm tall. I've looked at the Xtradecal sets and I'm a bit confused. I suppose it would help if I knew what size codes were used on the Wellington! Can anyone help before I look an even greater fool than I do now!

I think this one might be close enough to correct.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72212

What is certain is that anything listed as 48 inches in height is too large for a Wellington.

One could always scale down to 1/72 in imperial, convert to metric and assess the size proximity from the other decals on the Hannants page.

I would do this myself but I am an Arts graduate

Regards,

Michael

20mm =  20 x 72 = 1440mm / 25.4 = 56.6 inches

15mm = 15 x 72 = 1080 / 25.4 = 42.5 inches

They should be 48 inch on a Wellington

What size did you buy that they're too big?

Trumpeter are known for making errors.

If you can find a photo of the subject, or from the same squadron you'll have a better chance of getting the right sized codes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

20mm =  20 x 72 = 1440mm / 25.4 = 56.6 inches

15mm = 15 x 72 = 1080 / 25.4 = 42.5 inches

They should be 48 inch on a Wellington

What size did you buy that they're too big?

Trumpeter are known for making errors.

If you can find a photo of the subject, or from the same squadron you'll have a better chance of getting the right sized codes

I stand corrected.

There were Wellingtons with what appear to be 48 inch high codes.

Thank you, Black Knight.

This is evident from a proper look at the Warpaint book.

Also evident is the use of smaller codes, which I presume to be 36 inch versions.

In that book is evidence too of Graham's observations: Grey codes preceding the Dull Red codes and codes of differing sizes on the same aircraft.

On unpacking my Trumpeter Wellington 1c, there is a rather different interpretation: the red codes are very large and are larger than those in my collection of Modeldecal codes; certainly larger than the 48 inch interpretation from Modeldecal.

Michael

Michael

Even though there were rules and they should  be 48 inch code letters, anything is possible

Thats why reference to a photo of the subject, if possible, is always best

If in doubt and there is no photo I go with what the rules said it to be

The aircraft was a Mk III of 75 Squadron. X3396 code AA-S. Lost in September 1942.

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/nz-serials/nzwellington.htm

This links to a photo of a 75 Sqdn aircraft AA-K. Interestingly the letters all look the same size yet Trumpeter would have the AA smaller than the K?

Thanks for your advice chaps by the way.

M

Edited by Watcher

A google search for Wellington X3396 brought up more images of 75 sqd Wellingtons and they all have light grey 48 inch codes and red 8 inch airframe numbers

There is even film of AA-J X3482 which shows it with 48 inch grey/ 8 inch red

I doubt very much if AA-S was any different

Thanks for the offer but I would have no use for them

However; if you need red 8 inch airframe codes; rather than buy a full sheet, especially if you wont need them again, I reckon I could make them up from the ones I have

PS; I just did a measuring on my 1.72 Wellington model and it confirms that the AA codes would be 48 inch

Slow down a little.  The colour of the codes was not up to the unit, but something that changed at a specific date.  So you need to confirm that the loss was at the same time as the photographs (the serials do hint at that but don't confirm it) and previous to the introduction of red codes.  This last point is known but I don't have immediate access to a useful source, sorry, other than that they were grey in July 1941 instructions and red by July 1942.

I need to do a bit more research but I am very grateful for all your advice. I'll see if I can identify a photo from the same period (mid/late 42) and then I'll have to plump for one or other.

Are we not overthinking this?  AMO A.664 of 2 July 1942 promulgated not only red codes but C-Type fuselage roundels and fin flashes.  Even allowing a period of grace for implementation, would not any aircraft not wearing those markings by September 42 be at risk of being shot at as a possible stool pigeon aircraft?   A photo for corroboration would of course be nice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Seahawk said:

A photo for corroboration would of course be nice.

And I can't find one in any of:

Bowyer: Wellington At War

Bowyer: The Wellington Bomber

Cooksley: Wellington: Mainstay of Bomber Command

Bowman: Wellington, The Geodetic Giant

Freer/Parry: Wellington Squadrons in Focus

If the relative was serving on the unit before July 1941, then he will have flown in Wellington(s) with  grey codes and early roundels and in one(s) with red codes and the later roundels.  If X3396 was his usual aircraft then the model would be correct either way.  If you prefer to go with the examples in photographs, do it as pre-July.

• Like 1

I checked the dates of the photos, as far as I could, for the 75 sqd Wellingtons with grey codes which I found. About 10 photos. Not one was dated post-July 1942

I didn't come across any photos of 75 sqd Wellingtons with red [darker] codes or dated post-July 42

The next lot of 75 sqd photos I came across was of them with Lancasters

10 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

If the relative was serving on the unit before July 1941, then he will have flown in Wellington(s) with  grey codes and early roundels and in one(s) with red codes and the later roundels.  If X3396 was his usual aircraft then the model would be correct either way.  If you prefer to go with the examples in photographs, do it as pre-July.

Very fair point, which I'd overlooked.  Like the OP, I think I'd be inclined to go for markings from a well-documented period, even if a pic of the precise aircraft hasn't turned uo.