Westland whirlwind 1/48

This is my first post although not my first kit, it's also a bit of a test drive on how to post photos and any receive any criticism my skin is thick so don't hold back! 

DSC_0962

DSC_0957 (1)

DSC_0962

DSC_0965

DSC_0976

DSC_0977

DSC_0966

• Like 19

Hello Tim ... I've always kind of liked the Whirlwind and i think yours looks good. I do have a minor complaint/criticism and it pertains to the side codes and roundel. I would think that the code/roundel would have been touched up or even repainted before it had ever got that rough looking. Again thats my only bad thing to say

That's a neat Whirlwind! The figures are nice, too, although you seem very fond of them in particular – five pics, no less, of which two are duplicates?

I agree about the national markings being too scruffy – not very plausible, I think. Also, prop blades seldom have patches of paint missing – at the most, in normal use, a hint of metal showing on the extreme leading edge.

Otherwise – nice modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Hello Tim,

Firstly, welcome! :welcome:

Nice model. I'm not an expert on Whirlwinds/RAF, but I like your display with the figures in action.

Regards,

David

Another favourite of mine. Good work! B)

I think I agree with some of the others that, perhaps, the weathering is a little harsh.

That said, some of these aircraft lasted a long time in service and ran most of their lives balls-out at low level over the channel. So they may have wound up looking pretty rough at times.

I guess a lot depended on how diligent the erks were... :wink:

Love the subject and the build and finish

To some extent the diorama and the figures in action take my attention away from the aircraft.

I would love to see a few more shots just of the Whirlwind itself as it's a terrific subject.

Cheers

Bruce

the above is  before the repaint into Day Fighter Scheme,  which has weathered badly.

here's  the real P7116

large_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=photograph
AIRCRAFT OF THE ROYAL AIR FORCE, 1939-1945: WESTLAND WHIRLWIND.. © IWM (ATP 10755E)IWM Non Commercial Licence

Whirlwind Mark I, P7116 HE-F Bellows Argentina No. 2, flown by the Officer Commanding No. 263 Squadron RAF based at Colerne, Wiltshire, on the snow-covered airfield at Charmy Down, Somerset.

this is always worth a browse

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/11-Meteor-Whirlwind

Neat work on the model. 

hope  of  interest

T

Very nice modelling. I'm not a huge fan of chipped paintwork but yours is done very well any criticism would be merely a matter of taste and we all have varying tastes.

I will just pass a comment on your photography though. I think that some of the pictures suffer from a very shallow depth of field. You don't mention what camera you are using but it looks like you are opening the aperture wide to reduce the exposure time so I'm guessing it is a DSLR. I would advise you to reduce the aperture and use a tripod or even a cushion or a scrumpled up t-shirt to support your camera and use a timed shutter release to combat "camera shake". My apologies if this was the effect you were going for as it doesn't quite work for me, that's all.

Please keep posting.