Valom 1/144 Sopwith Pup x2 - the continuing saga of a Blitzbuild 2017 fail. One down, one to go.

This was my first Blitzbuild attempt which I failed to complete within the 24hr deadline. Poor planning on my part and a new Cocker Spaniel puppy didn't help matters, so I have decided to open a thread here to complete them.

Here is how things stand after todays work to open the slot in the chin of the cowling, attachment of the cabane struts and some further painting.

36925899895_f19c287c87_c.jpg

36925900925_2d56a256bf_c.jpg

The second kit painted up and awaiting assembly.

36939239195_6dec8a44ab_c.jpg

• Like 1

Unhappy with the nondescript lump provided in the kit for the Vickers machine gun I thought that I would have a go at scratch building one.

Kit part with scratch replacement above.

36799642831_c075fabc31_c.jpg

36799641161_0dd8257441_c.jpg

Now all I have to do is paint and fit the little rascal without the carpet monster snaffling it.

• Like 4

Yes Murdo, I had a lot of fun trying keep things lined up, though surprisingly I didn't lose anything. Not half so much fun as I have had today whilst trying to make wipers for a 1/72 Beagle Basset. Bits pinging off all over the place, and I am still not sure if I will be able to bend the wire arms into position without them coming away.

• 4 weeks later...

As you can see, I have added the decals to this and sealed them in with a matt coat. I then made a start on the rigging using Uschi van der Rosten super fine thread.

37347369681_298015dfd4_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

37347370691_4d77271db5_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

37347371551_9ed173e1da_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

I had a slight issue when I started to fit the inter-plane struts, the etch parts seemed to be a little short, but the reason for this could have been due to my construction technique. To resolve this I have decided to scratch some from plastic strip before adding the fore and aft flying wires.

I will try adding these struts first on my second build and then I can make new cabane struts if needed.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

I've got these to do, hopefully in the Great War GB next year if it happens. How are you securing the etch and keeping it at the angle it needs to be while it dries?

Charlie,

I use a tiny amount of Loctite applied with a homemade wire applicator which allows me enough wriggle time to check things against the location points on the upturned upper wing. Once things have set up I add further small amounts of glue to secure things properly, I must say that this method does take a lot of patience but it works for me.

You could use a medium viscosity glue or a gel type which would give you more time for adjustment but again I would use a small amount to start with. Another alternative would be to replace the etch pieces with plastic strip of similar thickness and cut to the shape of the etch, and that way you could use a conventional poly glue. I am sure that there will be other methods that are far simpler but as I said this one works for me

I still have to assemble the second kit so I will try to take some photos as I go through this phase of the build to show how I go about it. HTH

4 hours ago, abat said:

This must be tiny in 1/144. Look forward to seeing the rigging. 

They sure are abat, wingspan is around 2.25inches and fuselage length about 1.5 inches.

37330782916_a4c95bb47d_n.jpg

37330783736_4320ae3ca2_n.jpg

• Like 2

I added the rigging to the upper wing strut locations last night, for this I used small amounts of cyano and this was applied to the side of the kit location point from where the line will run. I have just finished applying some Tamiya Clear Orange over Humbrol 110 to give the look of varnished wood on the replacement struts.

23533662288_c331e17220_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

• Like 4

I had a bit of a disaster with this yesterday, with all the cabane to interplane strut rigging completed I was about to add the last of crossbrace rigging on the interplane struts, when there was a crack and one of the cabane struts had come loose. I must have a applied too much at this point and caused the structure to collapse. After a quick damn, damn, double damn, two b***dy 'ells and a b****r, I had calmed down enough to look at things objectively and removed all the previous work including any loose struts and left this one alone for the rest of the day.

Here it is almost back at square one, I think that I am now going to rig this with lengths of nickel silver wire and use a more conventional method of rigging on the second kit, that way I won't damage the decals on this one.

36758620433_ab96b73c1c_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

Of course that meant that I had more time to spend with Molly. Was it really 5 weeks ago that we picked her up? The dreaded Ch will soon be upon us.  :santa:

37171866560_170d03e044_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

• Like 3

After last weekends debacle, I returned to this build last night and repaired the struts then made a start on re-rigging it with wire, managing to complete one half before leaving things to set up. I'll try to complete the other side over the weekend.

37515588852_db120dd613_c.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I wrapped up the wing rigging on this little Sopwith Pup tonight by adding the last few lengths of wire, just a bit more on the undercarriage and then I can get the wheels on. For the other kit I plan to use a more conventional method of rigging, if the term conventional can be applied to the nut daft enough to rig a 1/144th model. :D

37733245056_3de947f61e_c.jpg

• Like 2

On 18/10/2017 at 11:25 PM, nimrod54 said:

I wrapped up the wing rigging on this little Sopwith Pup tonight by adding the last few lengths of wire, just a bit more on the undercarriage and then I can get the wheels on. For the other kit I plan to use a more conventional method of rigging, if the term conventional can be applied to the nut daft enough to rig a 1/144th model. :D

Yeah mate, I know exactly what you mean!           :rofl:

3vglXQ3h.jpg

RTagzwjh.jpg

lAksWHYh.jpg

HurA9o1h.jpg

Edited by Murdo
  • Like 5

55 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I guess double flying wires are out of the question...:D;)

Fantastic building...so small!

Thanks John. I do like your idea and it may be fun to try, but drilling two holes in such a confined space would probably result in one large hole. :hmmm: Perhaps that is the way to go with a wire glued on opposite sides of the hole. Now look what you have started. :winkgrin:

• Haha 1