5 Year Old's First Model - 1/72 Hurricane Mk.1

And here's my last brush-painted 1/72 scale Hurricane (Airfix kit)........ just to show that an airbrush isn't always needed at this scale ;)  I used Humbrol flat brushes from a a brush-pack to make this one.... the flat brushes make the difference though for getting a smooth finish... ;)

IMG_0308

• Like 5

Hope that helps your young lad to show what can be achieved with brushes, and the easy-kit Hobby Boss kits.... ;)  I like those HobbyBoss kits, but I have found that with several kits that I've ordered and built, the decal/transfer sheets can have problems on them with some looking a bit 'odd'....some parts nice and smooth gloss, and other parts with almost matt stain-marks across them... these show up on the model when it's been built too... :/  When they're nice and glossy, then the HobbyBoss transfers settle well, and aren't prone to silvering, but they are a little 'delicate' as well... so handle with care!  They're not like the current Airfix splendid transfers!! ;)

But yeah... more power to young Leo.....  keep up the great work ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done Leo.

You look to be making good progress on the camouflage scheme. Your doing much better than I did at your age. I believe tended to make up the camouflage as I went along. I only referred to the painting instructions to workout where to put the decals.

Dave

• Like 1

Sincere thanks to everybody who's had such nice things to say, some really interesting memories to share and some useful hints, tips and leads to chase! There's been some truly lovely compliments sent to my son, I'm very proud of him, so I thought it worth sharing another quick anecdote. I fully appreciate that religion isn't everybody's thing and I don't want to risk any offence by dwelling too long on it, but I once explained the significance of the War Memorial in our local city square to Leo. Ever since then, for the past year or so, every single time we walk past it he always pulls on my hand and insists we go over to say some prayers to say thank you to the servicemen who lost their lives and are named on the memorial. As I said, I don't want to cause any offence to those who aren't of a religious disposition, but I hope this sign of respect and appreciation by Leo will be seen by all here in the community in a positive way.

Anyhow, he's now finished the base coat on the model and has assembled most of the propeller. We've had some chats about my input, which Leo feels could be more! I've explained that I don't want to ruin his fun by stepping in and painting his model for him and that he will only get better with practise. He explained that there are bits he is too nervous to attempt and he'd like a bit more help with them, so I've painted the tail wheel, neatened up some smudges and painted the lines which separate the sky underside and brown/green camouflage. Thoroughly enthused by the Hurricane, he's now picked Paul Richey's 'Fighter Pilot' off my shelf and insists on that as his bedtime story. I'm very, very careful and selective in the parts I read to him as I still want him to have a proper childhood without the full impact of the Battle of France thrust upon him! Fortunately as it was written during the war and is therefore heavily controlled in its content, it does read quite a lot like Biggles for the most part.

JISPilW.jpg

Edited by wafu_vasco
  • Like 14

I for one am not offended in any way, Quite the opposite. I think it shows great character in your son, a quality lacking in a number of his and other generations. And it reflects well on your parenting that he insists on showing the proper respect and honor due to those that gave all. Tell Leo i salute him. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hey, that Hurricane is looking mighty fine; excellent finish (especially for a first attempt).  

[Nice subliminal placement of Fleet Air Arm colours in the background, too.  Got to get him across to the Senior Service as fast as poss.  BZ!]

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Leo sounds like a son to be proud of, I'm proud of him from here and you can tell him so

He is doing very well (and it is natural for him to want input from dad, this is dad's hobby interest and dad knows best*) I like that Hurri a lot

A little light introduction , via the B of France, to the rigours of war surely will not hurt him, carry on being a dad to be proud of

:thumbsup2:

* it's OK we won't tell him

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, perdu said:

Leo sounds like a son to be proud of, I'm proud of him from here and you can tell him so

That was almost exactly what I was going to say Bill, so I hope you don't mind that I quote you & just say ditto...! 

And that little Hurri is coming along splendidly Leo! :thumbsup:

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not offended either; Leo is showing excellent character by remembering those who gave their lives for their country. He is showing great respect by honoring their sacrifice with a prayer. He is doing a great job with the Hurricane; I can hardly wait to see the next steps!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bravo Zulu Leo,

I still have the first model my father and I built together...a spitfire in not much different color schemes.  It's missing the odd part now but was part of the incentive to draw me back into the hobby 20+ years later.

And wafu_vasco...if I can do half as well with my daughter (5 months today) I'll be a happy man.  Kudos to you and your wife...you've set your son up for success in so many ways.

Cheers,

foresterab

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That Hurricane is looking fantastic... (you &) Leo have done a great job with it...looks brill...!! :)

And yes, you should be proud of Leo wanting to pay his respects to the fallen heroes..... and proud of your own parenting skills too ;)

Fabulous stuff :)  Looking forward to seeing this as it progresses :)

• Thanks 1

Not much to update yet, I'm afraid, with Leo being back to school and me being back at work. However, what is well worthy of note is the extreme generosity of one of the Britmodeller community - Beard - who was kind enough to post these kits to Leo. It's really made his week as you can see from the smile! He says to say thank you to the moon and back!

1t3P85M.jpg?2

• Like 10

Quick update - Leo and I had a long conversation/debate on what colour exhaust stacks should be. His model so his vote had more weight than mine, and we went with brown. I did at least convince him to dry brush with a metal colour, which he said made it too shiny. Fortunately after a dark ink wash, he now trusts me again! I painted the canopy for him but he added the first decals:

yF6m1Lc.jpg

5Iyijqc.jpg

moIoEVI.jpg

Edited by wafu_vasco
  • Like 7