Hasegawa CF-104 1/72

This is the Hasegawa F-104, built as a CF-104 using markings from and old (and I mean old!) Modeldecal sheet.  This one is augmented with Eduard details and masks, which were definitely well worth it, plus a couple of BLU-27 napalm tanks (slightly modified) from a Hasegawa weapons set as I generally like my models with live (but valid) loads. 

The base model was an F-104G so, although the Lockheed C-2 seat and the short exhaust nozzle that came with the kit are correct for a Canadian Starfighter, the MLG doors should not be bulged – ah well, I’ll live!  Likewise, the leading and trailing edge flaps would not normally be drooped for a Canadian Starfighter on the ground but I think that it adds interest to that distinctive wing to deflect them. The Hasegawa Starfighter is a great kit that goes together nicely and the Modeldecal markings worked beautifully despite their age.  Hope you like it ...

resized_88e3836c-ed69-4ddb-a65d-9500cecd

resized_ae79a680-9a4a-41b4-a28a-edb6f90e

resized_7562cf64-d656-46db-b8c8-d39841c6

resized_a9c6b410-b99a-4361-bc72-5143505b

resized_0e6071c8-6ee4-4f80-925f-2f48edcd

resized_94eeb922-c884-4635-bb2f-5afa8b8c

resized_725ae257-de7f-4d12-860b-86f58677

resized_8699b447-983d-42b5-b188-9eb04de4

resized_c1de6a4d-b08b-48dd-9430-a7c54729

resized_47abe9e8-3e39-42d6-bb58-fd494350

resized_557bbfb3-e2af-47ec-9e0c-1c42e97f

• Like 41

A Starfighter so it deserves my praise for sure.... Accuracy or not it is a nice build. ;)

And it is 1/72!!!!! :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

plus a couple of BLU-27 napalm tanks (slightly modified) from a Hasegawa weapons set as I generally like my models with live (but valid) loads

I should know know but I don't! The Canadians flew with napalm? I've not seen that before. 

Martin

PS - I stand corrected. I just found images on line! 

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks for posting the link RidgeRunner, that's one of the photo references I used.  Not saying the Canadians were poling around West German skies loaded with napalm every day, but still ...

And thank you for all the kind comments - much appreciated!

• 4 years later...

That is a beauty!  :thumbsup::clap2:

I am enjoying how the camo scheme is contrasting with the under-wing tanks.

I still marvel at this plane - super sleek, but I wonder if it was difficult to land with those stubby wings.

Then again, I am no kind of expert on such matters.

• Like 1

Very nicely turned out Canadian Starfighter. They do look good in overall olive? green. The decals seemed to have worked a treat despite their age. Just wondering what the pink Splatt is under the cockpit, cant quite make it out. It seems to be a hairy creature with axes. Is it a unit marking?

Pete

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry to ask, could I inquire as to the paint you used in this build ? 

14 hours ago, BerndM said:

Fantastic Starfighter. 

12 hours ago, Swamp Donkey said:

Lovely looking Starfighter - one of my all time favourite machines

SD

11 hours ago, kapam said:

That is a beauty!  :thumbsup::clap2:

I am enjoying how the camo scheme is contrasting with the under-wing tanks.

I still marvel at this plane - super sleek, but I wonder if it was difficult to land with those stubby wings.

Then again, I am no kind of expert on such matters.

10 hours ago, Unfinished project said:

Beautiful Starfighter looks great in a non NMF 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

9 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Very nicely turned out Canadian Starfighter. They do look good in overall olive? green. The decals seemed to have worked a treat despite their age. Just wondering what the pink Splatt is under the cockpit, cant quite make it out. It seems to be a hairy creature with axes. Is it a unit marking?

Pete

Thank you all for your kind comments on this old post!  The Hasegawa Starfighter is a really nice kit and the F-104 always looks fantastic in model form.

@Corsairfoxfouruncle I used Gunze H330 BS381C/641 Dark Green, which I thought had a nice slightly olive shade to it that worked well for the elusive RCAF dark green

Thanks @kapam, I went for the napalm tanks as a weapon load because I thought they would contrast nicely with the drab camo scheme and I think it worked out OK.  I'm no expert either but I'm sure that the high wing loading would have made for a high landing speed!

@Pete in a shed the 'pink splatt' looks a lot more red in real life!  It's the unit marking for Number 421 Sqn RCAF, a Native American head with tomahawks: https://www.heraldry-wiki.com/heraldrywiki/wiki/No_421_Squadron,_Royal_Canadian_Air_Force

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Vultures1 said:

@Pete in a shed the 'pink splatt' looks a lot more red in real life!  It's the unit marking for Number 421 Sqn RCAF, a Native American head with tomahawks: https://www.heraldry-wiki.com/heraldrywiki/wiki/No_421_Squadron,_Royal_Canadian_Air_Force

AAAH all has become clear:like:

17 minutes ago, thorfinn said:

Such a different look from the earlier shiny white-winged RCAF 104s! But a beauty nonetheless. Thanks for posting it so we could all enjoy it.

Thanks @thorfinn, you are most kind.  The shiny, white-winged schemes are certainly cool ... and the tiger-striped one .. and the red one ... and .... so many great schemes to choose from 🙂

• Like 1