PBY-5 RAAF Catalina "Black Cat" 1/144

Didn't bother photographing tonight's work because there's nothing different to see but I:

- gave a second coat to the wing and tailplanes which are now really black

- puttied up that gap on the nose and another layer on the wheels.

All I have to do now is the sanding smooth, then paint the fuselage and stick the wing on and add the decals.

To get there I will have to sand the body tomorrow night and paint it that night (first coat). Then paint the second coat on Sunday night (I'm a few hours ahead of the UK, haha). 

Then the decals. Well, I don't know what I am going to do for the white lettering on the side yet - might have to freehand it so I can get the model done and then later when I find some decals I can go over that in black and apply them then. I went right through my stash and while I came up with several suitable roundels I couldn't find any white letters of the right size.

• Like 1

Good progress! Sometimes important progress is made without nothing too photogenic to show :)

Regarding the lettering, could you make some tape masks to paint them? If the letters are not too fancy, perhaps it's not too difficult to make some masks.

Cheers

Jaime

Well, this is where I am at tonight (it's 1am Monday in Beijing). I'm calling it a day - had a huge weekend away in the mountains hiking and while I tried to advance this build after I got back (and doing a coat of black on Sat night while I was up there) i can't face staying up another 2 hours to knock it off.

20180115_010044_resized.jpg

The red bit in the center of the fuselage roundels will be removed either by paint or with a little square of white decal over the top. I have scrounged these from the decal stash, so no, they are not precisely right. But they're not too far off.

What's left? Make FJ-K and A24-42 out of scrap decals. I can manage the FJ-K with what I have but it will be quite time consuming. 

So anyway, that's where I got to. Pretty close, and I will finish it up soon. Although I will miss the gallery deadline I will post it in here - thank you to those who followed my build!

• Like 4

Impressive paint job you have there and good looking decals! I'll be looking forward to seeing this build finished, even after the GB deadline!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

thanks, the wingtop ones come from an Airfix P-51 I think! Sorry I couldn't make it but for me one of the good things about a group build  -apart from participating which is fun - is that it usually pushes my builds quite close to completion. There's only another night in this, which, with a bit of luck, could be tonight. So if I get it finished I'll be happy, deadline or no!

• Like 1

That's great! I'll be around looking for further progress in the builds. I still have to finish mine as well, and I already have a week's worth of pictures to post in my thread.

Cheers

Jaime

Tonight I tried to build up the markings but I have decided that I will find a different way because although this works it is very time consuming and doesn't look quite right. I think white letraset will be a better option.

20180115_195527_resized.jpg

Edited by bianfuxia
  • Like 3