TSR-2 question

jasman71

10 minutes ago, jasman71 said:

he did NOT order the destruction of the construction jigs

It was the MOD. They paid for the jigs and tooling at the beginning like any other Govt contract or pay storage, they own the tooling. They get scrapped after the end or cancellation of the contract. same with the US DoD .

There was a contract for converting VC10s LOX system to gaseous Oxygen in the late 70s.  Four (ish) Oxygen Bottles per kite (13 VC10s C.Mk. 1s) When the contract was complete, the tooling for the bottles were ordered to be scrapped, no spares made. Imagine the cost of a spare after paying for tooling again.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jasman71 said:

I can't remember where I read it, but apparently he was adamant that he did NOT order the destruction of the construction jigs. Well somebody did, very much like the Avro Arrow situation too (though I heard that was more because of rumours of KGB infiltration in the work force).

Per Damien Burke's excellent book on the TSR.2, the jigs were destroyed by joint agreement of BAC and the Ministry of Aviation in the form of the TSR2 Disposals Team. Originally, the MoA insisted the jigs be retained, but BAC ultimately broke them up to free up storage space.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, upnorth said:

It this useful to you? According to the caption info, it was taken at Brooklands in 1964:

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1571414

That's terrific, thanks. There's a smaller version of this pic in the Crowood book, along with a few other views, but at least with this one I can zoom in on it.  Noting the scuffed up tops where work boots have been, and the red beware tapes on the stabiliser corners, and what appears to be the white finish already sprayed presumably before the fin and stabilisers were mounted. Note also the photo has been flipped horizontally