1/72 - Grumman F-14A Tomcat by Finemolds - released - new boxing in 2024

Homebee

On 2/6/2018 at 9:25 PM, Giorgio N said:

Is the best Tomcat kit ? Maybe... or maybe not. I'm basing my judgement on the D variant, but the A is so similar that it doesn't matter. In any case the FM kit is very, very good. At the same time the Hasegawa kit is still better from certain points of view. IMHO both can be made into great models of the Tomcat straight from the box, some may like more certain details of the FM and others certain features of the hasegawa.

Is it appropriate for an Iranian scheme ? Yes it is ! The aircrafts received by VF-84 were practically identical to the Iranian machines, with the only differences being internal.  The aircrafts proposed by FM are from Block 95, the Iranian ones were divided betwenn Block 90 and 95.

Thanks Giorgio for the very detailed reply . I decided to go ahead with the finemolds kit after I came across the kit instruction online and it looks like superbly detailed based on what I saw . 

Hi here :

Does it mean/Could it be a newer late F-14A boxing?

It looks like just that. 

Second thought - Mount Fuji tells me a boxing featuring Japan based squadrons : VF-154 is obvious, but the other one might well be a VF-21 bird in loviz markings.

Eric B.

Edited by Eric B.
  • Like 1

On 13/2/2018 at 12:49 AM, k5054nz said:

Newbie question which should probably go in its own thread: what's the best option in 1/72 to replicate a Top Gun movie Tomcat?

The aircrafts that received the fictional markings for the movie were 160665, 160681, 160695 and 160694. They were all Block 100 aircrafts and when delivered they were identical to the Fine Mold kit box currently available.

By the time of the movie they had received a different style of IR sensor under the nose, this may or not be included in the box (I have yet to buy one).

Alternatively the Hasegawa and Fujimi kits have all the parts needed for one of these aircrafts. The Fujimi kit will require some sanding as the ECM bulge on the beavertail is moulded as an integral part while the Hasegawa one has alternative parts for this.

The Academy kit also requires the removal of the ECM bulge on the beavertail and the removal of the small teardrop bulges under the fixed part of the wing. In any case this is inferior to the 3 Japanese kits.

The Hobbyboss kit may be used but I'm not sure includes the correct sensor. Again quality is not the same as the Japanese kits.

• Thanks 1

New boxing expected late April 2018 - ref. FP32 - Grumman F-14A Tomcat "USS Independance, 1995"

Source: http://www.finemolds.co.jp/FP/FP32.html

LOGO-R.jpg FPsiri-zurogo.jpg
1/72スケール プラモデル®
アメリカ海軍 F-14A トムキャットTM
“USS インディペンデンス 1995”
F-14A TOMCAT is a trademark of Northrop Grumman Systems Corporation and is used under license by Fine Molds Corporation.
4536318720324_01-1.jpg
製品番号FP32  F-14AトムキャットTM “USS インディペンデンス 1995”
希望小売価格(税抜き)4,500円
新製品 4月下旬出荷予定
F14 TOMCAT® is a registered trademark of Northrop Grumman Systems Corporation and is used under license by Fine Molds Corporation.
F-14Aトムキャットの実機について
F-14トムキャット™はアメリカ海軍が装備した複座型の超音速双発ジェット艦上戦闘機で、揚力を得られる独特の胴体形状と可変式の主翼が大きな特徴です。1974年より空母に配備され、主力艦上戦闘機として制空・艦隊防空・迎撃に加え偵察ポッドを装着した戦術偵察など、各種用途に従事しました。2006年9月をもってアメリカ海軍からは全機が退役しています。
キット内容
2017年12月に発売し、大好評をいただいた1/72スケールF-14Aトムキャットに早速ロービジバージョンが加わります!機体ラインは検討を重ね、優美かつ複雑なラインをく立体化!そして外部点検扉は開閉選択式!その内部まで緻密に再現しました。現在の技術にて再現したF-14をぜひ体感してください。そして今回の最大の特徴であるマーキングはアメリカ海軍空母『インディペンデンス』に搭載されていた1995年仕様の第154戦闘飛行隊(VF-154)“ブラックナイツ”と、チン・ポッドに闘魂の文字が書かれたVF-21“フリーランサーズ”から選択できます。
付属マーキング アメリカ海軍第154戦闘飛行隊(VF-154)“ブラックナイツ”
アメリカ海軍第21戦闘飛行隊(VF-21)“フリーランサーズ”
FP32side-coller.jpg
F14 TOMCAT® is a registered trademark of Northrop Grumman Systems Corporation and is used under license by Fine Molds Corporation.
キットの特徴
★F-14AトムキャットTMのロービジバージョン。
★マーキングはブラックナイツとフリーランサーズが付属。
★機体のラインは実機確認を踏まえたこだわりの設計。
★機首周り各部の外部点検扉は開閉選択式。内部も再現。
★主翼は塗装のしやすい後ハメが可能な設計。可動式。
★実機に即した機首チン・ポッド、バルカン後方パネル、主翼取付
下部に追加されたバルジ、尾翼他このタイプの特徴を再現。
★完成時の全長約268mm、全幅約170mm、全高約70mm
★部品点数 248点+デカール
別売り適合ディテールアップパーツ
4536318720317_01-1.jpg 製品番号FP31
1/72スケール プラモデル®
現用アメリカ軍
航空機用ミサイルセット

希望小売価格(税抜き)¥1,800
●製品詳細はコチラ
F-14Aトムキャットをはじめとした現用アメリカ軍機の空対空ミサイルのセット。
AIM-54A/Cフェニックス×8、AIM-7F/M/Pスパロー×4、AIM-9L/Mサイドワインダー×4、AN/AAQ-25ランターンポッド×2をシャープに再現しました。

NA7s-.jpg

AA26-2.jpgAA26P.jpg
製品番号NA7
1/72スケール現用機用シートベルト 1
(F-14・F/A-18用)

(プラスチック製パーツ)
希望小売価格(税抜き)¥1,300
製品番号AA26
1/72スケール
F-14アルファプルーブセット(2本入り)

(真ちゅう製挽き物)
希望小売価格(税抜き)¥700
F-14、F/A-18用のシートベルトのセット。ベルト金具はもちろん布地の縫製まで再現しました。材質はプラ製でありながら、自由に指やピンセットによる折り曲げや、ひねりが可能で、ポキリと折れづらい素材です。そのため、機体のシートに容易になじませる事ができます。もちろんプラスチックモデル用の接着剤/塗料が使用でき、塗料の食いつきもプラスチックならではの良さです。金属パーツのようにピンセットでつまんだ箇所の塗料がはがれる心配もありません。4座席分入り。
アメリカ海軍のF-14戦闘機は、機首にアルファプルーブと呼ばれるセンサーを装備しています。微妙なテーパーの組み合わせを真ちゅう製挽き物で再現しました。金属製挽き物のシャープさに加え、破損防止にも

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

20 hours ago, hacker said:

l want one! l got their D version in the stash so lt needs a stable mate. When it is due out?

hacker

Regular early ‘A’ version released at Christmas 2017. 

I reckon this new boxing will just be a change of instructions and decals. All the parts are there to make a late spec A already. 

Tony

Will get some pics up soon. 

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:51 PM, hacker said:

l want one! l got their D version in the stash so lt needs a stable mate. When it is due out?

hacker

HLJ shows it as an April 2018 release.

Hoops

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

I just received my first Fine Molds "early" F-14A boxing. I confirm (much to my surprise) all parts are there to build victually all F-14A blocks (except the very first beaver tail Tomcats).

As Tony wrote above new boxing should be decals only but as I just bought me one F-14A box only, I have space for buying a second FineMolds Tomcat : this one will be a "USS Independence" boxing. 

Cheers

Eric B.

• Like 1

Pics of the two new sprues for these A boxings:

With this sprue there are some general details like RIO coaming, glove vane ecm bumps, spine plate insert without gps dome, tcs chin pod and the Gru-7 seats. 

By swapping this for the seat one in the D kit they could release those contents as a B. Apart from the wheel hubs (3) would have been better if they were the ones on the frame below (25) ?

388_A2021-1_C99-4_DBD-9087-524_E423_BD44

Next is A only specific eg engines and associated bits, with some earlier parts on there too than provided in the first D release. 

BA29_AF5_D-_B0_EB-46_A7-90_F8-378699_C99

Below here are the bits still on the main sprues from when it was first the D kit which will allow you to build a later A like gun vents and nose gear doors. 

A75_F29_B6-_CC6_A-4138-8145-7_D79_C157_F

Later fins with bracing. 

2_FAD7823-354_C-4_D52-95_E7-81_C17_BBDE2

Blades and gps dome insert. 

7917238_E-8510-4_BF2-_A9_AA-8624_F324108

Cheers, Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The Independence 1995 boxing is out per HLJ, I just got billed for it in my private warehouse with them.

Based on the sprue layout, I hope that we will be seeing a F-14B Boxing in the future. I would only be the logical next step.

Cheers!

Hoops

• 3 weeks later...

i just received my 2 kits from HLJ and unfortunately somebody screwed up on the packaging. I got 2 bags of sprues for the Fuselage and wings, so no forward fuselage! I don't know what i'm supposed to do with that. I sent an email to HLJ about it. I wonder if someone out there has a box with 2 forward fuselage sprues and nothing for the main and wings.

I noticed this kit didn't come with any weapons, which is a shame.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Andrewvft said:

i just received my 2 kits from HLJ and unfortunately somebody screwed up on the packaging. I got 2 bags of sprues for the Fuselage and wings, so no forward fuselage! I don't know what i'm supposed to do with that. I sent an email to HLJ about it. I wonder if someone out there has a box with 2 forward fuselage sprues and nothing for the main and wings.

That sucks ! And yes , none of our kits have any weapon . They decided it would me more fun to make us purchase them as a separate set. I would suggest you opt for a weapon set from hasegawa instead as they are significantly cheaper.

7 hours ago, Basuroy said:

I would suggest you opt for a weapon set from hasegawa instead as they are significantly cheaper.

Yes but significantly older and are now poorer quality by comparison. 

Hanging anything from hasegawa ‘weapons set three’ on a finemolds tomcat is sure to incur the wrath of the modelling gods...

The sparrows and winders in weapon set 5 however are about on par with the quality of the finemolds ones. 

Or then there is eduard brassin :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7 May 2018 at 6:43 PM, Andrewvft said:

Same here, just received mine and same problem - was going to post a warning here but you beat me to it Ah what the hell will post a warning anyway!

I have written to HLJ for the missing trees - poor quality control from Fine Molds!

Chaps if you have ordered this kit - check it on receipt; 2 bags of duplicate Trees D, F and G in box; hence the box is missing Trees A, E, L, M and it is impossible to build the kit...

My response from HLJ was they found a couple more like that in their warehouse. And someone else has also reported similar problem. I'm guessing that was you Uncle Dick! They said they are following up with Finemolds.

• Like 1

Received following response from HLJ this morning:

Thanks for your message - we are currently reaching out to the manufacturer to see if we can get these parts. It should be no problem because this is a known issue with this product.

Thanks for your patience, I will get back to you soon!