Norwegian Albatross

Grumman SA-16B (ASW) Albatross

330 Squadron, Royal Norwegian Air Force, 1962

36721383152_4ac56ba999_b.jpg

This is the old Monogram kit which had been in the stash since 1997. The recently released RVHP resin conversion kit prodded me into building it. The original was covered in thousands of rivets (Frog Shackleton like) which all had to go. The RVHP kit provides the radome, MAD boom, sonobouy dispenser, searchlight and additional pylons. It also has a top quality decal sheet with Spanish and Greek options as well as the Norwegian. For the price I was kind of expecting some resin for the interior, but there is none. I scratched some cockpit details but left the cabin bare as you would struggle to see anything in there anyway.

This was a build of compromises really as I wanted to keep the working retractable undercarriage (yes, I know, but it has to be done doesn't it?). Hence the legs are chunky and doors very basic, but it does work. If you fit the resin nose provided there's no room for the nosewheel to retract so half of it was sawed off but by adjusting the cut line on the kit it all fitted OK. It's a tail sitter because I didn't want to load up that U/C too much (there's a pin under the rear fuselage - which I must admit I photoshopped out in these pics!)

36058104774_a27b036e72_b.jpg

36721381652_957ee5959a_b.jpg

36721380822_fe6c1d8c83_b.jpg

36083895593_9f3cc5c4d5_b.jpg

36721379262_19da209af7_b.jpg

36058103294_f23f036712_b.jpg

36752473581_04037169b0_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 59
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic build and well done for keeping the original Monogram 'working' undercarriage.     Remember the real thing from airshows at Prestwick and Leuchars when they were operational complete with RATO take-offs lighting up the quite often Scottish gloom and rain that no show was complete without.

CTM,

What a great build of an iconic plastic kit- Monogram was so far ahead of its time; can you imagine what they would be capable of turning out today? Your build looks very good, even with the operating and overscale gear and doors, but good for you for keeping them. I remember building this one when I was in the 6th grade and  being sooo careful with that pin that connected the upper and lower gear struts so they would pivot. Fond and painful memories of pressing down on those Monogram  decals every five minutes or so for an hour so that they would lie down over all those rivets.....ah, those were the days! Thanks for bringing an oldie but goodie new life!

Mike

Just now, Vingtor said:

Very good model! It's a pity that the provided roundels are not too accurate, though.

Nils

Hi Nils. I agree - shame about the roundels as the decal printing is top quality. I think the wing upper surface roundels are a bit too big and the blue ring needs to be wider. I also struggled with the fact that they weren't provided with a white outline, but then did actually find one or two photos of 330 Sqn machines without the white outline. Overall by the time I reached the decalling stage there were so many compromises in the model that I went ahead and used the roundels provided!

I really like that.  An attractive aeroplane beautifully rendered from an old kit.  I must say the retractable undercarriage, while a bit chunky, looks really cleverly designed.

Hello CTM,

Monogram, always good.You turned it into a real nice model. I have never seen one before in the Norwegian Colors.

My compliments.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.

8 hours ago, CT Modeller said:

Hi Nils. I agree - shame about the roundels as the decal printing is top quality. I think the wing upper surface roundels are a bit too big and the blue ring needs to be wider. I also struggled with the fact that they weren't provided with a white outline, but then did actually find one or two photos of 330 Sqn machines without the white outline. Overall by the time I reached the decalling stage there were so many compromises in the model that I went ahead and used the roundels provided!

There were two marking alternatives for Norwegian Albatrosses. The first one was as for your model, borderless roundels and large registration letters. These markings were eventually replaced with roundels with a white outline and smaller British style letters. A well-built model like this deserves better decals.

Nils

• Thanks 1

Very ambitious project, which you have pulled of superbly.

I'm not one for working gimmicks (like retractable u/c) but each to their own, eh?

Knowing how old this kit would be, I can barely imagine the work needed to get it looking so good.

:goodjob: