Westland Wessex HC2 Fly 1/32nd

HL-10

2 hours ago, HL-10 said:

Once that was done and set, the mesh was heated up to anneal it and make it pliable so it could be shaped over the former.

Hi Angelo, this is new to me. How do you go about annealing the etch? Is it just heating it up? If so how hot, how long? I tried googling anneal brass but all I got was stuff about cartridges. 

Must say this is a fascinating build with great craftsmanship. I'm enjoying seeing your techniques and will no doubt use some in my builds. Thanks, Andrew

19 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Great result with the mesh.  Can you knock up another hundred or so!

Your going to build a 100 1/32 Fly Wessexes? Popcorn please. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, abat said:

Hi Angelo, this is new to me. How do you go about annealing the etch? Is it just heating it up? If so how hot, how long? I tried googling anneal brass but all I got was stuff about cartridges. 

A lot depends on what the etch is made of.

With Brass you need to be a bit more careful than with steel as finer bits can melt (ask me how I know!!!)

I used to have a mini blow torch which was ok for the hefty pieces, but for small stuff I just use an ordinary cigarette lighter.

I apply heat gently, until the metal changes colour, not necessarily glowing red hot, but just until you can see it start to dull.

With the mesh I used for the intake, as it was woven steel wire, I held it over the cooker (don't tell the wife!) until it did glow red.

Just be careful to let it cool before handling (again, ask me how I know!!!)

Hope this helps?  :)

With the mesh completed and fitted, I used solder for the internal frame work and self adhesive aluminium tape for the frame along its circumference, I was ready to give the model an undercoat of Humbrol matt black:

IMG_1250.jpg

once this had dried, I started to apply the camouflage using Xtracolor enamels:

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

Once the paint has dried, it will be decaling and weathering time! :)

Thank you all very much for all the comments, advice, compliments and support, it is all very welcome & greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking,

Angelo.

• Like 11

Thanks Angelo, excellent advice. I'll give annealing a go next time I'm trying to bludgeon some unrepentant etch around difficult surfaces. As one who only recently rested his hand on a hot stove top, I too understand about burns. 

• Like 1

On 10 September 2017 at 1:37 PM, hendie said:

Is it just me but doesn't the oleo and the swing arm look just a bit on the thin side ?

It's been bugging me so much, I'm going to look into this to ensure my Wessex has the right diameter oleo and radius arm.

With regards to the intake, two options to consider. Firstly to scratch build the intake Assy with the engine elephant feet. Secondly the intake grille needs to be scratch built then approach one of these 3D printer chaps and see if it can be replicated in this medium?

Ive lost the plot a bit with the build so please pardon me, however did the grey green crab cabs have the jammer mod's fitted? I was under the impression this mod came later in the 90's.

Can we have your supplier of the mesh, look Bob-on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wafu said:

I was given the mesh by another member here, but I have found that a £1 tea strainer/sieve from Morrisons has the exact same mesh!  :)

• Like 4

The Jammers arrived with the advent of the Libyan arms shipments so about 1987 onwards. Be aware that they were a BAE design and not the ALQ-144 that the Pumas used. The AAR-47 (UV not IR but it's all on Wikipedia these days) sensors arrived just about the time that the Grey/Green/Black switched to two tone Green camo in about 1989 but anyone who tries to tell you there was a definite switch over time is bluffing.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wafu said:

Cooked a burger for lunch today and noticed that the round metal splatter shield I was using had a nice, fine mesh/grid that might suit.  in fact, probably quite useful for a lot of modelling applications.

Cheers,

Dennis

• Like 1

The good lady, may she be blessed! :), does wonder sometimes when I hang around the kitchen section of various shops.

I do like to cook, but 9 times out of 10 it's because I'm looking for stuff suitable for modelling!

I used a sieve to manufacture the engine screens on my 1/16th King Tiger!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HL-10 said:

...but I have found that a £1 tea strainer/sieve from Morrisons has the exact same mesh!  :)

What did I say a few posts back!;)

It's also useful for making the indents in bottle top foil for helicopter sound proofing.

Great info on anealling, still above my capabilities though!

34 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

:oops: Guess who is off to specsavers ? I didn't notice them on the model.

Off to look for that info now.

Don't worry Scim, I'm right with you. I think Hendie has good advice, stick to a single subject then research it tirelessly. 

I spent 10 years working on RAF Wessex at Shawbury, saw the Wessex close service in the RAF. 72, 60 and 2fts all had different mod's fitted, different colour schemes and different roles within the RAF. On the odd occasion a Rescue cab would pop-in and I would photograph it. Again, loads of differences from the troop support role.

Sorry to digress from this great Wessex build, Appoligies.

• Like 2

I honestly do not think the nose and tail sensors were concurrent with the Grey/Green/Black scheme, but never having worked on a Wessex I cannot say with absolute certainty.

I know I had to put the mounts (but not the sensors) on my model of XR525 because she has the mounts on her now in Cosford in her Lichen Green/Nato Dark Green scheme

In all these years of hero worshipping Walter I haven't ever noticed the sensors with the earlier scheme

I admit the Wessie is my most coveted ride that never happened  

:(

Definitely time to select an airframe for modelling

:yes:

• Like 1

That photo shows how an in theatre operational aircraft would be circa 1988. IR jammer, cockpit armour and a single secure comms nose aerial. It would also have had a GPMG mount in the door. The winch would have been fitted if the aircraft was on SAR standby but otherwise it was just a faff the engineers didn't need. The Nitesun was fitted and removed as needed on a daily basis and was done by the crew if away from Aldergrove.

As I said earlier, although I can't be sure, there are sound operational reasons to link the fitting of the MAWS sensors with the arrival of the two tone green scheme. It was then common for the fitting boxes to be present but just blanking plates in place simply because early on, there weren't enough sensor heads to equip each cab. Also, they were a bit useless and nobody much rellied on it anyway!

• Like 1

I have got quite a bit done overnight.

Camouflage completed, decals on and weathering started.

The decals are a mixture of spares box, RAF roundel, Royal Air Force title, and letter A, and the kit's for the rest.

The kit's decals are well printed, with loads of stencil data.

The layout of the sheet make finding some stencils hard as the sheet hasn't been laid out so the decals are in numerical order.

Also, there are a lot of unused decals present.

Anyway, here are some more photos:

Oil wash of Raw Umber applied to whole airframe following decal application,

IMG_1254.jpg

Oil wash removed!

IMG_1257.jpg

The black underside had some panel lightening with Panzer grey

IMG_1260.jpg

The model has had a matt coat applied and the final bits of detailing is being added:

IMG_1261.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

The exhausts are the kit's parts. They needed careful cleaning up and some thinning on the inside.

I painted them with Alclad flat aluminium then used Tamiya clear blue, yellow, and smoke to give them a heat stained effect.

Thanks for looking,

Angelo :)

• Like 8

Angelo she looks very good 

I'd be happy if I could finish a Wessex as nicely as that and you were right using that mesh

Under the paint it looks RIGHT

Well done

👌

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1