DH 60G Gypsy Moth Coupe - The British Arctic Air Route Expedition

After looking for something different for this GB, I came across this on that famous Lowestoft model suppliers website. I knew little about the British Arctic Air Route Expedition and set about trying to find out more. This led to me purchasing a copy of Dancing on Ice by Jeremy Scott, whose father J.M Scott was a member of the expedition team. The expedition took place between the war years, returning to Britain in 1932 and was one of the last great adventures into what was then uncharted territory. In my opinion the book is well worth a read.

35833171062_af6490c640_c.jpg

36078729794_98fbaa2422_c.jpg

36078730424_cdeac5494d_c.jpg

• Like 15

Hi nimrod54,

Welcome to the GB! Yours is a  beautiful choice of subject and the historical setting is very interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing your build taking shape. 

Cheers

Jaime  

• Like 1

I'm really glad to see this in the GB. Polar exploration is a personal enthusiasm.

I don't have the links here (you probably have them), but as far as I remember, the University of Cambridge have a superb archive of photographs of the expedition and aircraft. I must seek out the book you mention.

Looking forward to this :popcorn: 

All the best

TonyT

• Like 2

Thanks mate. It looks to be a nice kit, just a few spots where the panel lines are a bit sketchy so there will be a bit of re-scribing to do. Funny that you should put Albion Alloys on alert because I have just been looking at the possibility of using some stock on the Sopwith Pups. :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to doing some work on this build with a small amount of assembly on the cockpits. The instrument panels are painted up and require the dial glass adding to complete them before fixing into the fuselage then I can close this up.

37648264026_0c87bb5754_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

37648262746_76b5772a37_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

• Like 8

Thanks Jaime, there's not much to the interior, and deciding on what colour should be on the insides slowed things a little. After some searching, I decided to go with a grey-green based on this photo of a red DH 60G that I found. I think that the other option would have been to use black, but I thought that this would keep things light.

• Like 3

I assembled the fuselage and started cleaning up the join last night. There are a couple of areas underneath that require a smear of filler, but overall the fit wasn't too bad.

37471474560_60d9f42b24_c.jpg

37680732636_432700a06f_c.jpg

37058956573_1a22ffcc71_c.jpg

37680731036_b0167e93b7_c.jpg

I also added the canopy extension which sits behind the rear cockpit along the spine and then carried out a couple of other refinements, the first of which was the thinning of the forward edge of the shroud that surrounds the engine, and the second being the opening of the small vent on the port side of the nose. In photos these areas are made of sheet metal and I think that these two simple changes help to portray this. I would have liked to have done something with the forward cowling too, but I didn't want to risk damaging the part or myself so perhaps some careful painting around there will improve the look in this area.

37680734296_3c5e1d3dd4_c.jpg

37471473620_648e2db568_c.jpg

37471473160_66cfbec94f_c.jpg

The lower wing was cleaned up and the parts were then adjusted to improve the fit. Just another couple of little jobs and I should be ready for paint.

37472194150_ecb01f26bc_c.jpg

37472194860_b44562ca35_c.jpg

• Like 10

It’s good to see substantial progress here John :).

These Amodel/Avis DH 60’s aren’t quite as easy as you’re making it look :D!

That rear faired transparency for this variant is quite the Amodel ‘thing’; we have to love Amodel - they know that we would like to do more than just ‘build’.

Great progress, really looking forward to the rest. 

The book arrived; thank you very much. It’s extremely welcome :thanks: .

Looking at the Cambridge photograph archive, the other DH 60 Coupe really does look to have a very different colour combination.

Meanwhile still on the Cambridge University website, I found this very good resource on all things polar, chilly and fascinating to those that like this kind of wonderful, frosty  thing  :chilly::

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/polar-record#

I hope to be able to build an Amundsen Dornier Wal and Byrd Trimotor and Fokker Universal in 2018. A tall order, but it’s good to have an aim :fingerscrossed:.

Polar group build for 2018 anyone  :daydream:?

:thumbsup2: 

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2

Thanks @TonyTiger66. I'm glad that you are enjoying the build so far, things are progressing remarkably well to date, but there is still plenty to do and something may come along to put a spanner in the works yet.

Good to know that the book has arrived and I hope that you enjoy the read as much as I did. As for your future Polar Builds the Dornier sounds like an interesting subject, you may also want to include the Lindbergh aircraft that made a brief stop during the BAARE, there is a mention of this in the book.

I like the idea of a Polar GB and I know Aifix did a kit of Discovery which would make a change from aircraft, but I am not sure how easy it is to find one at a sensible price.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jrlx said:

Good progress, John. The model is shaping up very well!

Cheers

Jaime

Cheers Jaime. I was able to get some paint on the fuselage, wings, tailplane and fin today, and with the instructions giving little indication other than Red and Silver, my colours of choice are Tamiya Italian Red and Humbrol Acrylic Silver. I am hoping that the silver will look more like doped fabric under a coat of matt clear, I am not sure if I will use that on the floats though.

37759592621_1b2b8af51f_c.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

• Like 9