94 Squadron RAF Spitfire IX in high altitude scheme

Beard

I have a yearning to make a Spitfire IX like the the third one here:

20170824_174820

Trouble is, I can't find any photographic evidence to support AZ's scheme.

Is there any?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Beard
to correct squadron, 94 not 74... damn my failing eye-sight.

5 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I had a look and all i could find was profiles ? The only photos i found that were grey/blue came back to high altitude MK.VII's & MK.XI's with a PRU blue or grey scheme. 

I can't find any MkIXs with the High Altitude (Medium Sea Grey over PRU Blue) scheme.

1 minute ago, Chuck1945 said:

Listermann's Allied Wings booklet on the SpitfireXII only shows one 91 Sqd side view, the starboard side of EN625/DL-K. Cant tell if there is an inscription or not. The port side profile he has of EN617/DL-E is drawn with the inscription and the aircraft is identified as the normal  aircraft flown by FO O'Shaughnessy.

Your reply puzzled me at first, then I realised you'd posted in the wrong thread. :D

A number of Sqns used Mk,IX Spitfires in the High Altitude scheme in Italy. There was a discussion here about 451 Squadon RAAF airframes in that scheme several years ago.

The Scheme drawn by AZ is perfectly correct for GO-F MA766 of which there is a photo of it in fllight.

I thought from memory that the photo was in Osprey Aircraft of the Aces #98 - Spitfire Aces of North Africa and Italy, but as it turns out that only has a profile but no photo (the photo that they use for Foskett has him in a normally camouflaged airframe GO-C).

So you can use the AZ Decals with confidence.

Steve Mackenzie

Edited by Hornet133
typo
  • Thanks 1

A quick Google brought up the following link where GO-F is the middle airframe in the shot at the bottom of the page

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2855810-Spitfire-Colour-finishes

The photo that I was referring to however is a closeup of GO-F, a search of the IWM site will probably bring it up as it appears to be from an Official photoshoot.

Steve

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hornet133 said:

The Scheme drawn by AZ is perfectly correct for GO-F MA766 of which there is a photo of it in fllight.

So you can use the AZ Decals with confidence.

... possibly, replacing Azure Blue with PRU Blue, or was the MSG/Azure Blue combination suggested by Eduard a Med theatre variation?

Claudio

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hornet133 said:

A quick Google brought up the following link where GO-F is the middle airframe in the shot at the bottom of the page

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2855810-Spitfire-Colour-finishes

The photo that I was referring to however is a closeup of GO-F, a search of the IWM site will probably bring it up as it appears to be from an Official photoshoot.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I'll have a search of the IWM website.

1 hour ago, ClaudioN said:

... possibly, replacing Azure Blue with PRU Blue, or was the MSG/Azure Blue combination suggested by Eduard a Med theatre variation?

Claudio

That's a good point, Claudio, and, of course, Humbrol 157 wasn't a very good match for Azure Blue until it was recently re-formulated (after the AZ MkIX was released).

15 minutes ago, FinnAndersen said:

Another 451 Spitfire in the high altitude scheme; this is fairly wellknown and used by several decal producers

Thanks. Although I don't fancy doing the outline on the code letters.😊

• Like 1

Personally I'd go with standard PRU Blue rather than Azure, al pictures I've seen of these aircrafts in Italy seem to have relatively dark undersides, compatible with the standard scheme. I know, interpretation of BW pictures and all the risks involved... but in doubt, I always go for a standard scheme

• Like 3

On 28/08/2017 at 7:22 PM, Beard said:

I have a yearning to make a Spitfire IX like the the third one here:

20170824_174820

Trouble is, I can't find any photographic evidence to support AZ's scheme.

Is there any?

Thanks in advance.

Hiya Beard,

I used a photo when I built my model of this aircraft. I have searched my photo files on my computer and cannot find the pic,....however I am pretty sure there was a copy in the Ospey Spitfire Aces Over The Med book. I`ll keep looking,....but here is my model if it helps,.....Medium Sea Grey uppers and PRU Blue undersides;

Spit GO-F-4Spit GO-F-2

Good luck with your modell mate

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Beard said:

Thanks Tony,

I'd found your RFI on here during my internet research and thought I had the book you.mention (it seems I don't).

I'll need all the luck there is for it to turn out as nice as your one.

I`ve been looking through my books but have not found the pic yet,..which is annoying as I remember seeing it and used it for my model! I`ve looked in the Osprey Spits in N.Africa and Italy book and it isn`t in there,...only a side view artwork,..... I`ll check my old magazine articles when I get a chance.

As for your model,....you`ll be fine mate,....just take your time,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks again Tony.

I've checked all three editions of Spitfire At War, the Osprey Spitfire books I have and, Spitfire The History (well, you never know) and ever search parameter I can think of... no luck. If you find a photograph, you'll be entitled to some sort of reward.

As for the model, it's assembled and I now have to sort out the mess I made of the wingtips. :(

Edited by Beard
  • Like 1

On 01/09/2017 at 4:13 PM, Beard said:

Thanks again Tony.

I've checked all three editions of Spitfire At War, the Osprey Spitfire books I have and, Spitfire The History (well, you never know) and ever search parameter I can think of... no luck. If you find a photograph, you'll be entitled to some sort of reward.

As for the model, it's assembled and I now have to sort out the mess I made of the wingtips. :(

I`ve had to stop looking mate,...... I`ve pulled by back out again quite badly,.....so I`m grounded and limited to the settee,.....good luck with the model mate,

Cheers

Tony

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, tonyot said:

I`ve had to stop looking mate,...... I`ve pulled by back out again quite badly,.....so I`m grounded and limited to the settee,.....good luck with the model mate,

Cheers

Tony

Oh gawd, I feel responsible for that. I hope you get better soon. As for the model... well, it was struck off charge after suffering Category E damage (but I'll be starting another one soon as I've finished my MkV floatplane in the Flying boat and Floatplane Group Build).

22 hours ago, Beard said:

Oh gawd, I feel responsible for that. I hope you get better soon. As for the model... well, it was struck off charge after suffering Category E damage (but I'll be starting another one soon as I've finished my MkV floatplane in the Flying boat and Floatplane Group Build).

Not your fault mate,....please don`t worry! Sorry to hear about the damage,....good luck with the floatplane though,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1