D.H.60G Amphibian, 1/72nd from Avis Models...

Upon consideration, after looking at the plane, thinking about two wheels supporting the pontoon...I thought,"What supports the rear of the pontoon when it is in dry dock?  

I guess I'll be building a little trolly after all!  Plenty of spare bits left over, including wheels...

Edited by John D.C. Masters
htjfy
  • Like 2

Well done on the black trim lines John; very neat. I really like the Ivory cream colour on the fuselage sides :).

I’m trying to figure out how the wheels worked. Were they lifted when the aircraft landed on water, then dropped to allow it to be pulled eg onto a beach? Your ‘rear support’ line of thought really got me thinking.

I guess that the main float wouldn’t fare well with the rear scraping on the ground (sand would perhaps be ok?). I wonder how it was done :hmmm: .

I’m probably being a complete pikelet and there’s a glaringly simple answer :dunce: !

Looking good; a very attractive little aircraft. Something very nice and different for the group build :)

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks Tony...the cream white is actually more white than it looks...the white balance on my camera is to blame.  I imagine that the wheels were ratcheted up for water use and lowered for pulling up on the dock or ground, as you have said.  The box art goes a good idea of that.  

Yes...there must be a trolley or else the little rudder that is attached to the back of the pontoon would get all bent out of shape.

Thanks for the support!

• Like 1

A bit of noodling around brought these up - may be of some use

http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac5/ROW Europe/G-AADV.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Gurnard

At 0:45 there's a lovely clear shot of the float as it flies on by - nary a sign of a 'tail wheel', even though the amphibian gear isn't fitted - the rudder profile seems to match what's seen in the photos above (and what an dashed exciting little film!). I get the feeling from my reading that this wasn't a true amphibian, in that she could only alight on water, and the wheels were just there to make it easier to recover her to land - there was still a need for a tail trolley, as illustrated in the Wikipedia article on the Gurnard

HTH.

• Like 1

I had a quick(ish) search and found this photo of G-AADV with the wheels down. Confirms your idea of the 'rotation' but no help with the beach trolley...

I wonder of the angle of the floats would keep the rudder off the ground?

This site shows a different arrangement (no wheels) so you're probably safe making it up!

• Like 1

Here's a bit more that I squeezed out this afternoon...

I solved the drainage/bilge taps by using some old Contrail tubing, cutting off little sections, glueing them, then sanding them down almost flush.  I made the top little bits much the same way, but I neglected to photograph those.

I have attached the lower wing and it went in fine with minimal resizing.  The very small gaps I filled with putty, let dry and then repainted.  I have added the rudder, stabilizer, exhaust pipe...tonight I'll add the windscreens and begin working on the cabane struts tomorrow.  Enough for today...

37055839120_0878128183_z_d.jpg

37055834760_33317634f5_z_d.jpg

36641908693_96b8ae2d0a_z_d.jpg

37055828530_df58017bf4_z_d.jpg

37055833950_d821f7d5f2_z_d.jpg

37055831210_574c4298e8_z_d.jpg

36641910743_f1461e39c3_z_d.jpg

37055832670_58ed200d41_z_d.jpg

I have dry fitted the stabilizer pontoons and then seem to fit directly beneath where the struts attach above.  The wheels are all set to be glued into their very rudimentary gear.  Holes are drilled for rigging...no...I have to remember to drill the holes in the fuselage for the flying wires...I'll do that now before I forget.  I always forget those holes...the propeller is painted, varnished, ready to go...

At this rate I might be done by Thursday.

• Like 7

Ok...all my pictures seem to have disappeared, leaving only little question marks...hmmm...they are still on Flickr...what gives?  Site maintenance?

It seems to be a site-wide issue at Flickr....:worry:

• Sad 1

Now that Flickr seems to be back...

A bit of work this afternoon...I haven't really spoken of this, but I built this plane many years ago, before Avis Models...when it was the AModel kit of a land based bird.  I though it seemed familiar.  I had problems then, and problems now, primarily in the clunkiness of some of the finer, smaller pieces (struts) and the lengths of the cabane vs. outer wing struts.  Same issues here, which makes me sure they haven't done much to the moulds since the 1990s.  This is a typical Amodel issue.  I remember once building some Amodel kit and there was so much mould release grease on the plastic, you could see it.  It looked like old motor oil...anyway...

So I scratched.  I assumed that the primary wing struts were correct...then scratched the cabanes with Evergreen bits.  The cabanes supplied were too long and too thick.   Not too hard to do, but persnickety.  Now the landing gear...What a chunky bit of Russian polymer we have there!  Out comes the ruler, the Evergreen again.  I figured I would actually add axles so fitting the wheels would go a bit more smoothy.  For your consideration...

37075158540_6414d63a74_z_d.jpg

37075160610_9e45016678_z_d.jpg

As you can see, the new gear will look a bit better than those supplied with the model.  So much for my goal of building OOB!  Ha!  I say to that...^_^

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 6

Coming down to the end of it here...I have finished up the large pontoon as much as I wish, have attached the stabilizing pontoons and have rigged the little water skipper with EZ Line.  For the drainage ports, I used a little thinned light green paint to simulate a bit of verdigris and then a touch of rust weathering which gave the ports a brassy tarnished effect.  Knowing what little I do about boats and water craft I made the leap that these areas would be made from brass or copper, not steel.  I also added a loop at the tip to run a line through when securing it to the dock.  I have seen this is in the photograph.

23618978728_b813b632fa_z_d.jpg

I also touched up the landing gear in a similar fashion.  It just gives to some depth more than anything else.

23618980928_a1f601f661_z_d.jpg

Now..the trolley.  Simple.  A bit of Evergreen card, cut in a round then 'triangles' off a bit with some round tube stock to be the little caster wheels underneath.  Painted dark grey with a little rusty wash... sorry boys.  I am not going to make real caster wheels this size at 1/72nd.  Some of you might, I am not one of them.^_^

36761652854_df96862880_z_d.jpg

Next up...she heads into the gallery for the finish!

• Like 6

Nice work on show, John! I like your approach to making the trolley and the rigging looks really well done!

Cheers

Jaime

Nice scratch building on the cabanes and wheel assemblies John :thumbsup2: 

The rigging is superb.

I agree with you; a real ‘Roaring 20’s’ little bird :).

:goodjob: 

Best regards

TonyT