Dornier Do 18-D *Finished*

16 hours ago, hendie said:

Glad to see that Bela's not quite dead yet then. (one of my all time favorite singles)

:lol: I don't know is it a time-of-life thing but I've recently been using Apple music to trawl back through late 70s early 80s stuff I used to listen to at school. Some of it I still have on vinyl but a lot got discarded with moving around and so forth over the years; currently playing in the car is an unholy mélange of The Creatures, King Crimson, XTC and Danielle Dax....

Glad you enjoyed the update.:nodding:

18 hours ago, keefr22 said:

No stopping you perfectionists though, is there...

Please; I prefer the term chronic-obsessive...:lol:

14 hours ago, CedB said:

I like the idea of using small electrical components... now where are my pliers!

Now you've the perfect excuse to get the new iPhone Ced because you need your current one for parts....

13 hours ago, pheonix said:

Great idea to use modern electronic micro-components to represent wartime large electronic units!

I can claim no credit for that notion I'm afraid phoenix. Another of hendie's brainwaves that help enrich the wealth of modelling lore in this forum.

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Well,just WOW! Look at all that. The radio desk/ seat is amazing. The office is just superb, I think old tentacles is right this is looking like your best yet.

Cheers for that Johnny. When you've a subject as juicy as this aircraft, it would be a heart of stone that didn't pitch-in with some furnishings...

Entirely out of keeping with the current state of the bench  (if you've ever watched Testsuo: The Iron Man picture the current condition of it - bits keep sticking to me...) I embarked on a little tidying-up in this session.

I'd mentioned previously my disaffection with the first attempt at manufacturing bulkhead 11, which divides the radio room from the fuel room. Whipped out like an old tooth, I began making a replacement:

37259231835_e17fa43d8a_c.jpg

The one on the left is bulkhead 11; to the right is the structure at rib 10 just before it - this serves to form a small kind of antechamber at the back of the radio room - partly acting as a support for the chair at the navigation station to port, whilst on the other side, accommodating a filter system for the fuel to the engines (I think...). I won't be building the latter due to it's complexity and complete invisibility. Experience has also taught me that it is easier to make the doorways before cutting out the bulkheads:

36421028494_34c96afc13_c.jpg

Side-by-side they like that they look like the eyes of a frog with a nervous tic....

Rivet. Rivet:

36421024474_614f909e9e_c.jpg

Framework on the reverse:

37068704576_14ca5ba8a6_c.jpg

Rib 10 in first:

37068702336_5fd23db590_c.jpg

Followed by bulkhead 11:

37068705816_b1b7f2fea8_c.jpg

And thence a final test fit for shape:

36421027194_36ee3dac66_c.jpg

One admirable thing about this stage of the build is the ability to hop around doing bits that catch your interest, partly from looking at the kit, and partly thumbing through the manuals and thinking: 'Ooh, I'll give that a lash.'

Which reminds me: that lamp-shade affair I'd stuck on the desk in the radio position. Going through the handbook last night I specifically wanted to understand what it was, given the otherworldly quality of this apparatus. As I'd indicated, it's like a cross between and electron microscope and a pillar drill, but digging into the text I discover that it's called a Fünkpeilkompaß. Along with other hints in the relevant passage it appears to be some kind of radio compass. Either way my (ham-fisted) first attempt will be whipped off and a more suitable replacement milled on the lathe in tribute to the baroque original. Along with the navigation table, which I forgot to do....

Have a good evening chaps, whatever you're up to.

:bye:

Tony

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

More great work on the internals Tony - your usual, impressive attention to detail :)

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Side-by-side they like that they look like the eyes of a frog with a nervous tic....

Rivet. Rivet:

I can't let that piece of classic modelling humour pass without praise. Brilliant :rofl2:

How long were you tittering for?

• Like 1

Tony,

I'm definitely out of appropriate adjectives for praising your superbly detailed work! That's real modelling craftsmanship! Very inspirational work, looking forward to the next instalment.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Another of hendie's brainwaves that help enrich the wealth of modelling lore in this forum.

I'm not entirely sure I can claim credit on that one (as much as I'd like to) as I think I probably stole that from somewhere/someone.

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

One admirable thing about this stage of the build is the ability to hop around doing bits that catch your interest,

that's my normal working method, but mainly due to running into roadblocks and having to find something else to do in order to keep moving.

have I mentioned that I am thoroughly enjoying this build ?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Only the Germans could come up with a name like that.....

Oh you will not imagine words in your wildest dreams, that Germans use or could/can create or develop for their regular use here.:wicked::winkgrin:

( a kind  of an error in german (penal) legal terms is called "Erlaubnistatbestandsirrtum"; etc.... So if you want more, feel free to ask:whistle: . Cheers

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

One admirable thing about this stage of the build is the ability to hop around doing bits that catch your interest, partly from looking at the kit, and partly thumbing through the manuals and thinking: 'Ooh, I'll give that a lash.'

Hello Tony, looks great. Like that kind scratch orgy. Could be me in several stages and thoughts some time ago. Go on. It's worth the result in the end, if you go steady on that. (Those  skills and desire I lost/forgot in the last few years):wow:

By the way I liked your Funkpeilgerät or Funkpeilkompass on the table. Cheers

Edit: Kompass/ Kompaß is both ok here

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree that the interior continues to improve with every post. Can it get ANY better? I think that you will demonstrate shortly that it certainly can.

With reference to German nouns try reading "The Awful German Language" by Mark Twain. It is in his "A Tramp Abroad". My wife is German and I once had a very good German friend, (sadly we have lost contact), both of whom nearly died laughing reading it. Come to that so did/do I. Highly recommended.

P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Beautiful work and attention to detail, as usual. Only the Germans could come up with a name like that.....

Thanks Ian. I must admit that I've always had a masochistic fondness for those highly-descriptive compound nouns that alternately gild and throttle such language.

22 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Great work on the scratching of the inners Tony.

My thanks for that Simon.:thumbsup2:

21 hours ago, CedB said:

I can't let that piece of classic modelling humour pass without praise. Brilliant :rofl2:

How long were you tittering for?

frankie_howerd.jpg

Oh. You know. A bit....;)

20 hours ago, jrlx said:

I'm definitely out of appropriate adjectives

German.You need to switch to German.

:winkgrin:

Look at all the opportunities Benedikt mentions:

15 hours ago, bbudde said:

Oh you will not imagine words in your wildest dreams, that Germans use or could/can create or develop for their regular use here

19 hours ago, hendie said:

have I mentioned that I am thoroughly enjoying this build ?

You've thrown out the odd vague allusion to such hendie....:thanks:

16 hours ago, Fritag said:

Cor.  The amount of Matchbox product left here - whether by proportion of weight or percentage on view - is minuscule.  Awesome. 

Cheers for that  Steve. :thumbsup2: Fear nought, I shan't be grinding this  detail off:

36463743723_da8a1f8231_c.jpg

1979. Blondie singing 'Hanging on the Telephone', piles of rubbish bags on the evening news, and me age 14 trying to pluck up the courage to talk to that girl on the bus who had her hair crimped like Kate Bush...

15 hours ago, bbudde said:

Edit: Kompass/ Kompaß is both ok here

Thankß Benedikt!:thumbsup2:

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Loving this interior: more please!

Hold on to yer heat-ray. More to follow.:winkgrin:

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Very nice.:giles:

Cheers Johnny. Hope Zero is settling in nicely with you all. :nodding:

12 hours ago, pheonix said:

Totally agree that the interior continues to improve with every post. Can it get ANY better? I think that you will demonstrate shortly that it certainly can.

With reference to German nouns try reading "The Awful German Language" by Mark Twain. It is in his "A Tramp Abroad". My wife is German and I once had a very good German friend, (sadly we have lost contact), both of whom nearly died laughing reading it. Come to that so did/do I. Highly recommended.

Thanks for that phoenix: "A Tramp Abroad" definitely goes onto reading list.:thumbsup2: Any writer who could mint such memorable maxims as Twain is worth making time for.

Side 4, Track 2 this morning:

xtc-english-settlement-4-cd.jpg

For some inexplicable reason I've been avoiding doing anything to this region so I began by adding the 'shelves' that run along below the windows on either side:

37135662631_62ff978e12_c.jpg

There's not a massive amount on the walls, what looks to be some electrical gear, and a duplicate Morse transmitter along the forward end of the shelf:

37135659791_572770fde3_c.jpg

That odd structure below the Morse transmitter is what I believe I've identified correctly from the text as a drift sight for establishing speed over land/sea; you can see it a little better when viewed from above:

36880471170_9d96ae5ed8_c.jpg

I pulled that out of some kind of ceramic pot on a circuiut board, noticing that it gave a decent representation of the eyepiece mounted in the wall.

36880472160_99a8330cec_c.jpg

Over to starboard, beside the pilot there'snot quite as much needed in the way of detailing:

37135661201_93408bb2fd_c.jpg

There were a couple of prominent levers on the left hand side of the pilot's seat, so I made these from fuse wire, rounding the tops of a little with the file:

37135661611_f4b0c36991_c.jpg

Mrs. B has also been busy- everything is fruiting like mad in the garden at present, including the wild roses I planted as part of the hedging when we moved in to the plot. Which means plenty of:

37106253952_8aed905002_c.jpg

Rosehip syrup!

As a toddler I remember being addicted to the Delrosa stuff:

9126d967701fa7d640c484fd15197fa8.jpg

As an adult, it's also quite pleasant as the ingredient in an alternative Pink Gin...

:bye:

Tony

• Like 15

Just when you think he's'where it's at' he goes beyond

And far more than one step

Brilliant stuff Tony,I think old Maurice would love how this is going

I got a bit distracted last week, can't think why but I'm back to bask again now

Off back a couple of pages to see what fun and pleasure I missed whilst in the depths of Wessex

👌

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2017 at 12:48 PM, jrlx said:

After all, I'll be starting level C1 in a month

That's nothing to do with Scientology is it Jaime?:o;)

On 9/17/2017 at 1:03 PM, The Spadgent said:

looks like we're both pretty fruity today

Tis the season, as Mr. Keats opined!

On 9/17/2017 at 1:22 PM, hendie said:

but I have retained some of the vernacular of the homeland, so that will have to suffice

Cut-glass Edinburgh or dog-rough Glasgae?:whistle:

On 9/17/2017 at 1:55 PM, CedB said:

German? I'm sorry, I can't do accents....

I'm sure you said that in John Cleese's voice Ced....

On 9/17/2017 at 6:53 PM, pheonix said:

further ingenious use of scrap electronics

I must go up to the loft - Lord knows what manner of remote control fripperies lies broken up there from when our lads were young. IIRC theres the remains of a stereo system on the premises here somewhere too.

8 hours ago, perdu said:

I got a bit distracted last week, can't think why but I'm back to bask again now

Nice to have you along Pharaoh. ;) 

T'ain't the same without the wisdom of ages around the place....

Well, work (predicatably) has now ratcheted up in tempo, so I'm having to take my chances at the bench as and when I can get them. The last few bouts of plasticking therefore have seen me starting work on opening-up the aircraft. As anyone who's seen my previous work knows, there is a customary point at which the patient gets wheeled into surgery...

I began by marking out the required outlines of the fuel-room access panels with low-tack tape:

37154181342_6119ab5f4c_c.jpg

and then getting out Archimedes to drill some corner holes:

37326971445_eee1e65599_c.jpg

These new drill bits I posted-up links for a while back have turned out to be top-notch: they just go through plastic like the proverbial through butter.

Having got that done, I decided that the best way to proceed with marking-out for cutting would be to use the tape outlines as stencils, using primer like so:

36513932223_df54ba312c_c.jpg

Between the drill holes and stencilled outlines, we had enough to go on with hoiking out the Dremel-clone with a cutting disk installed:

37326963165_a0fe0cd5c4_c.jpg

Whilst this looks alarming, I've found from experience that using a big blade like this carefully can give more accurate cuts than pecking-away with something smaller.

The trick is of course not to try for a perfect outline in one go,but incrementally remove sections. Brutal:

37326964285_3951e7c347_c.jpg

But effective:

36488939334_21ebc97244_c.jpg

From this point onwards you can then just get to work with the sihrsc file, finessing the edges and switching to a smaller cousin for the final tidy-up:

37326966875_a93931f3b2_c.jpg

There'sstill some tidying-up needed at the corners with a little Milliput to help create the nice rounded inner contours:

37154177822_dfb5c5723c_c.jpg

But joined together for a test-fit, I think that should look pretty decent when we getto fill out that tank room with detail:

37154179732_a900e9fcdc_c.jpg

You can see here I managed to knock-off part of the Milliput moulding around the nose that I'd done much earlier in the build, on the starboard side of the bow:

37326969155_3b51c4e36b_c.jpg

The Welsh wonder-paste is so nice and strong though that I can simply epoxy that back part on later with no loss of detail or need to rebuild.

Here she sits then:

37326970295_b21bc64a23_c.jpg

A little sadly reminiscent in that state of a few photos knocking around of laid-up aircraft on shorelines at the end of WW2, but not as unlucky as this poor blighter:

LW01-001-01.jpg

I'm reminded (inappropriately) of the Dave Allen sketch with him and a fellow park employee at the boating lake:

DA: 'Come in Number 91, your time is up!'

Fellow employee: 'We haven't got a number  91!'

DA:(squinting) 'Are you in trouble number 16?'

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Wow, that was SCARY! Texas Dremel-clone Massacre! Worked out fine in the end though, phew!

Pleased to hear the drill bits are working well - mine are on the way from the Orient as we speak...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great progress, Tony! Really looking forward to see what comes out of this daring cutting of plastic :)

Regarding the C1 level, it's the first of the advanced levels in the German language course I'm taking. In Europe there's a standard structure for language courses: levels A1 and A2 are the basic levels, levels B1 and B2 are intermediary and levels C1 and C2 are advanced. Each take 2 or 3 semesters. I'm starting my 6th year of German learning on October 10th.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 5